Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:54:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Be part of the 25% today - offer expires soon

Started by Buelligan, January 11, 2022, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

I need to post this seven and a half minute video here and ask you to watch it.  Please watch it.  Think about it, share it, today.

Magnum Valentino

I have watched this but absolutely no idea what to do now :-(

bgmnts

I have nobody to share it with and have pretty much the gloomiest outlook on the state of humanity and the planet already, do I need to watch this or do I get a pass?

Butchers Blind

Buelligan

Quote from: bgmnts on January 11, 2022, 01:52:52 PMI have nobody to share it with and have pretty much the gloomiest outlook on the state of humanity and the planet already, do I need to watch this or do I get a pass?

Sure you do, you need to watch it to the end.  Seven and a half minutes of watching.

At the end, they give you the treat for watching, they tell you how watching, sharing, taking this fucking shit on board, if enough of us just do that, will help.

So try to watch it.  Or share it, if you have less than ten minutes (or more).

pigamus

Buelligan

I have some bad news.  It's not a planet or that planet.  It's the only planet, as far as our lives and the whole of everything humans live with is concerned.

Even misanthropes are allowed to care about hummingbirds and moss and the Great Barrier Reef.

olliebean

The idea of a tipping point is something that needs to be more widely publicised. I reckon most people, assuming they believe in climate change, think of it as a gradual process, that can therefore be combatted somewhere down the road, before it gets too bad. They don't realise that the climate events we're seeing now are a wobble, and what follows a wobble if it isn't corrected isn't a gradually increasing wobble all the way down, but a sudden falling over.

Buelligan

Yes.  Do you need to stop smoking/drinking/whatevs if you can do a Dry January in January (or some other time) as opposed to, do you need to stop smoking because the next fag you light will kill you, your family, everyone in your town, country, etc and all their kids and pets and everyfuckingthingelse stone dead?

There is a bit of a difference.

And a lot of these tits mither on about antivaxxers.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: pigamus on January 11, 2022, 03:02:54 PMI mean that planet was a real jerk

Willing to give ecosystems to racists and sexists, allowed Starmer to be born, this should not be forgotten.

Buelligan

katzenjammer

Buelligan

If you watch, to the end, and listen, you will know.  Great news is, you don't have to exert much energy at all.  Not if you don't want to.

Mr_Simnock

Quote from: Buelligan on January 11, 2022, 03:34:09 PMIf you watch, to the end, and listen, you will know.  Great news is, you don't have to exert much energy at all.  Not if you don't want to.

Just another marvel universe trailer for me

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Buelligan on January 11, 2022, 03:17:17 PMbecause the next fag you light will kill you, your family, everyone in your town, country, etc and all their kids and pets and everyfuckingthingelse stone dead?

Oh God, please.

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 11, 2022, 03:38:19 PMJust another marvel universe trailer for me

The post-credit easter eggs suggest the return of fan favourite villain and recent Disney acquisition, Joseph Kony.

Buelligan

Quote from: Mr_Simnock on January 11, 2022, 03:38:19 PMJust another marvel universe trailer for me

Seven and a half minutes of your time vs Everything.  I can see it might be a difficult choice.  Especially for those who think they're safe.  No one is safe.

katzenjammer

Quote from: Buelligan on January 11, 2022, 03:34:09 PMIf you watch, to the end, and listen, you will know.  Great news is, you don't have to exert much energy at all.  Not if you don't want to.

I did watch it, support their patreon? Was there something else?

Buelligan

Yes, you can share the video, speak up for its aims, encourage those around to do the same as openly and often as possible.  If you want to contribute money to them, all well and good, up to you.

bakabaka

For a while, in the mid-late 70's, Catastrophe Theory (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catastrophe_theory) was the subject of a lot of popular science articles/programmes. It describes exactly this scenario. The most common example was box girder bridges which, at the time, had started to fail through age. While they start to lose their strength slowly, there comes a point where one box section fails and as soon as it does the bridge loses all its strength and collapses.

Sadly it was eclipsed in the public eye a couple of years later by Chaos Theory which had nothing to do with it but had much prettier pictures and a universal application. Sadly, because a public understanding it might help speed up the change needed.

None of this is new. We've known all of this for decades. But as a poll I was reading about yesterday said, most of us think we're doing enough already by recycling and that it's governments and big business that need to make the changes. But while it's not in their short-term interests, they promote doubt and mixed messages. And 1% doubt has a much stronger influence than 1% certainty as it gives everyone an excuse to do nothing.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: katzenjammer on January 11, 2022, 03:32:06 PMBe part of the 25% by doing what?

If you watch the end of the video you will then know all the stuff you knew before, then you can share the video with other people that knew all of this stuff before, however now you'll be able to smugly think you've done something to save the planet.

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 11, 2022, 04:17:09 PMIf you watch the end of the video you will then know all the stuff you knew before, then you can share the video with other people that knew all of this stuff before, however now you'll be able to smugly think you've done something to save the planet.

Instead of smugly telling everyone what?  Not to bother?  Having a good old sneer at anyone that does?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on January 11, 2022, 03:17:17 PMYes.  Do you need to stop smoking/drinking/whatevs if you can do a Dry January in January (or some other time) as opposed to, do you need to stop smoking because the next fag you light will kill you, your family, everyone in your town, country, etc and all their kids and pets and everyfuckingthingelse stone dead?

I thought I could smell gas!

Twit 2

We've passed the tipping points. We're fucked. I went through the anxiety/grief over this a few years ago. Enjoy the time you have left, don't have kids. Alright cheers.

TrenterPercenter

I'm actually a patron of DDN so get to be extra smug as I paid for that video.

You are very welcome to share it 👍

Kankurette

I'm not on social media so I can't share it. And I don't need to watch a video to know that the climate is fucked, just as I don't need to watch a video to know that Israel oppresses the Palestinians. Spoiler: you have to go on demos and protest about the environment. That's it, that's what happens, that's what the bloke says.

Also not having kids and hoping my cancer comes back and is terminal. I'm not joking. I am waiting to die.

Kelvin

Basically agree with Twit 2, sadly. I simply don't believe there is even the smallest, most infinitesimal chance that the human race will collectively get their shit together on such a scale and for such a sustained period of time that the damage we're doing can be reversed, or even significantly slowed. It's just fundamentally at odds with our species' selfish, short-sighted nature - even more so when you consider whose in charge.

Maybe some miracle tech or scientific discovery will come along in the remaining decades, maybe we'll all end up living underground, maybe we still have much longer than they predict, maybe a few thousand of us will leave the planet for a new one. There's honestly more chance of any of those unlikely options than there is of the biggest countries cutting their emissions by the required amount in the required timeframe. Just enjoy what we have while we have it, and maybe stick your youngest kids in a bin.   

Buelligan

If we really are fucked already, which could well be the case, I think it would be nice to make sure that the politicians who've avoided dealing with it so's they can keep their backers, their votes, their positions, at least lost those things through a change of political climate.  A small justice.  But a justice, nevertheless.

And if we aren't... if you and Twit and many, many, wise others are wrong.  What a shame it would be to give up now.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 11, 2022, 05:24:11 PMI'm actually a patron of DDN so get to be extra smug as I paid for that video.

You are very welcome to share it 👍

Imagine being so eaten up by compulsive hatred towards an individual that it forced you to troll and derail The End of All Things.  Think about that. 

What would your advice be to someone in your care that showed those kinds of compulsions?