Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:05:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia ~ Season 15

Started by Mobius, November 04, 2021, 03:10:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeardFaceMan

I'd like to see those Ireland eps edited into a film, that ending would work really well.

whatabulb

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on December 27, 2021, 06:36:27 PMWow, that last episode was really great. It reminded me of the finale where Mac came out to his Dad, just unexpectedly heartfelt, but this one seemed to be more tonally fitting to the show. A strong season all in all, perhaps the best in a few years.

have to say i really hated it.

the heartfelt scene of "i needed you, where were you" was honestly well done, and resonated in the same way as mac coming out, as you say.

but then they just throw that away (literally) with ah fuck that guy,  into the trash -  felt weird and cheap.  then the gang all embrace and say they're "all there for each other" and... scene... wtf?

unless there was a level of meta  that i missed, the entire premise of the show is that the gang is fundamentally NOT there for each other lol, just felt that the tone jumped about 4 times in that final scene, i found it jarring

Dr Rock

Loved those last two, and both had laugh out loud episode title reveals.

I believed they shot it in Ireland. Colm Meaney lives in Majorca, fwiw.

neveragain

Quote from: whatabulb on January 02, 2022, 11:02:39 AMhave to say i really hated it. ...
unless there was a level of meta  that i missed, the entire premise of the show is that the gang is fundamentally NOT there for each other lol, just felt that the tone jumped about 4 times in that final scene, i found it jarring

The Gang (or rather the writers) have softened a bit over the years. It's not as cold-hearted and cynical these days. Mac's coming out is another example of something that wouldn't have happened in the way it did if it occurred earlier.
It could also be they felt a warm ending was needed in these Covid times.

Personally I accept these little moments of niceness, even though the first time the Gang went a soppy I reacted quite violently. The show's changed. So have the writers.

neveragain

Also, after 15 years the team will feel more fondly towards the characters than they did at the start.

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: neveragain on January 02, 2022, 06:20:39 PMPersonally I accept these little moments of niceness, even though the first time the Gang went a soppy I reacted quite violently. The show's changed. So have the writers.

I didn't mind it this time around for some reason, but I also hated it when the soppiness first showed up. I blame those community writers that joined.

Noodle Lizard

I thought Charlie's emotional bit at the end there was perhaps a tad unearned, but it was effective enough to work anyway. Conversely, Mac's "coming out" dance in S13 was probably the nadir of the show for me. Just felt like Rob McElhenney fellating himself.

Despite Charlie Day arguably having the most successful Hollywood career out of the three, he also comes off the least narcissistic (I've really been liking him on the podcast too). I think that comes across in his performances, over-the-top as they might be, whereas McElhenney has far more of a "LOOK AT ME!" energy about him.

MrsWarboysLover

I agree, and although I like his character a lot I've always felt he's a cut below Dennis and Charlie. But then I always have to remind myself to give Rob more credit, because from what I understand he's the main creative force behind the show, particularly at it's beginning. I think out of everyone in the gang Mac is the most subtle and the most like a real person too, so kudos to him there too.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 02, 2022, 09:09:27 PMMac's "coming out" dance in S13 was probably the nadir of the show for me. Just felt like Rob McElhenney fellating himself.

I agree, It didn't land for me at all - Mac coming out to the gang during their arbitration was handled brilliantly; Mac coming out to his dad during an interpretive dance felt forced, Rob seems like a really genuine guy but he definitely went a little overboard with the vanity once he got ripped.

I have not seen season 15 yet -- to me, 12 was the last season that was brilliant, how does 15 compare?

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: AngryGazelle on January 05, 2022, 12:49:19 PMI agree, It didn't land for me at all - Mac coming out to the gang during their arbitration was handled brilliantly; Mac coming out to his dad during an interpretive dance felt forced, Rob seems like a really genuine guy but he definitely went a little overboard with the vanity once he got ripped.

I do find it amusing that Rob did Fat Mac in season 7 because he wanted to take the piss out of the tv trope of characters in a long-running sitcom getting better looking as time goes on because they've been balls-deep in that trope for the last few seasons.

Ferris

Quote from: AngryGazelle on January 05, 2022, 12:49:19 PMI agree, It didn't land for me at all - Mac coming out to the gang during their arbitration was handled brilliantly; Mac coming out to his dad during an interpretive dance felt forced, Rob seems like a really genuine guy but he definitely went a little overboard with the vanity once he got ripped.

The gag was that the character was ripped because he spent so long secretly practicing his coming-out routine.

I thought it was great and I'm a right curmudgeon so there you go.

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Ferris on January 05, 2022, 01:37:13 PMThe gag was that the character was ripped because he spent so long secretly practicing his coming-out routine.

I think it would have worked better if he was practicing coming over via some sort of martial arts routine - It wouldn't have been as arty but it would have fit his character more. Imagine if he did some interpretive tai chi, could have been funny and poignant.

Ferris

Yeah very good point. I think the way they did it meant Rob had minimum stuff to do and could hide behind the other performer's professionalism somewhat

AngryGazelle

Quote from: Ferris on January 05, 2022, 04:27:42 PMYeah very good point. I think the way they did it meant Rob had minimum stuff to do and could hide behind the other performer's professionalism somewhat

I think you're right - still quite impressive though.

Have you seen season 15? If so is it any good? Times up and the Gang Gets Wheels are the last episodes I'd consider classics but other episodes in season 13 were absolute clangers. Season 14 was just kind of middling.

Ferris

Saw the latest season in one go while in covid isolation - I'd say 2 episodes were middle of the road (at best), but the others were good and had some properly great moments. Seeing the Ireland episodes all in one go probably helped.

Definitely a cut above season 14 (which I watched immediately before).

AllisonSays

The podcasts really are good, aren't they? I think you can see aspects of the characters in their performances on the podcast, kind of - Charlie is kind of whimsical and dazed, Glenn is obsessive and intense. Maybe not Rob-Mac, although maybe Rob's slightly macho, sporty, loves gangster movie stuff is part of Mac's weird masculinity crisis.

I will say that I tried to go back to watch some of the episodes after listening to the podcast and there really is a lot of shouting.

Ferris

Yeah the podcasts are brilliant, I've really been enjoying them.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: AllisonSays on January 06, 2022, 01:04:58 PMI will say that I tried to go back to watch some of the episodes after listening to the podcast and there really is a lot of shouting.

If De Vito hadn't come on board in the 2nd season to pique some interest I probably wouldn't have bothered carrying on with the show. Not that I hated the first season but they shout over each other an awful lot, which was just plain annoying, I wasn't interested in more of that.

AsparagusTrevor

I've been enjoying how the podcasts seem to be 90% random stories, angry ranting and obscure tangents and 10% talking about the episode. The two-part car-park saga was especially entertaining.

AngryGazelle

Binged of all this season last night and today; want to let it settle in my mind and then watch it again before I give a final verdict but i really enjoyed it.

Episodes 1 and 3 were a bit weak but i really enjoyed the rest of it. The Irish episodes were fantastic!

15 seasons in and still going strong, definitely more gots than misses this year, already excited for 16!

EggsLikeABird

We're going to have to start talking in all timer terms with this series. 15 Series and still leaving people desperate for more. Incredible characters.

MrsWarboysLover

It's the only sitcom I can think of that's gone bad and then somehow come good again, and done it a few times at that.

kidney

Rob's anecdote in the latest podcast is incredible.

Twit 2

Quote from: kidney on January 11, 2022, 08:24:59 PMRob's anecdote in the latest podcast is incredible.

Care to précis it for people who can't be arsed to listen to podcasts?

Twit 2

Nevermind, had a listen. Some people queue jumped. Oh.

Just having a flick through the Coming Soon section on (UK) Netflix and it looks like this latest season will be on there on 1st February.

H-O-W-L

Watched it this week.
Spoiler alert
Shelly dying to COVID was a bit too upsetting to be honest. Maybe it's because the pandemic is still upsetting me but IDK.
[close]

wrec

I appreciate them using Irish actors for the relevant parts  especially if they weren't on location. IIRC the doctor had the only Oirish accent, which was so tortured that I was initially trying to work out if he was supposed to be Pakistani or something.