Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:25:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

This Time with Alan Partridge series 2

Started by Wayman C. McCreery, April 14, 2021, 03:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thr0b

Plan with makeup lady accepted.
Jennie asks to use the cottage.
Alan accepts for career advancement, but adds caveats.
Jennie accepts.
Alan cancels plans with make-up lady.
Jennie recants.
Alan returns to make-up lady.

He didn't anticipate Jennie putting up with his caveats, nor give her more than a few minutes to realise what she'd agreed to.

Alan looks silly.

Make up lady and Alan do unspeakable things anyway.

greencalx

Tiff! Tiff! Tiff! Tiff! Tiff! Tiff! Tiff!

It's Tiff.

Retinend

Wait, when Alan says "cottage" he's referring to the oasthouse, right? That is, he mentions his cottage/oasthouse, which Jennie takes to mean he is rich enough to have a spare cottage to lend out (as Sam and people like him presumably would) - the joke therefore being that Alan is so proud he would rather stay in his caravan in the garden with no toilet than admit that his cottage is his primary residence?

wooders1978

Quote from: Retinend on June 11, 2021, 07:39:04 AM
Wait, when Alan says "cottage" he's referring to the oasthouse, right? That is, he mentions his cottage/oasthouse, which Jennie takes to mean he is rich enough to have a spare cottage to lend out (as Sam and people like him presumably would) - the joke therefore being that Alan is so proud he would rather stay in his caravan in the garden with no toilet than admit that his cottage is his primary residence?

The cottage is in Cornwall and the Oasthouse is in Norwich, so no.

Didn't Alan have to downsize for financial reasons when he bought the oasthouse? Maybe mentioned in the podcast.

Retinend

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 11, 2021, 08:18:22 AM

fucksticks

Quote from: Better Midlands on June 11, 2021, 08:27:24 AM
Didn't Alan have to downsize for financial reasons when he bought the oasthouse? Maybe mentioned in the podcast.

Whether I heard it or not, I presumed that the oasthouse was him downsizing for financial reasons. It's weird to me that he would have a legitimate posho Cornwall cottage retreat suddenly after a couple of series on the BBC. Perhaps it's supposed to be an indication he's spending beyond his means.

paruses

Quote from: Retinend on June 11, 2021, 08:32:30 AM

Whether I heard it or not, I presumed that the oasthouse was him downsizing for financial reasons. It's weird to me that he would have a legitimate posho Cornwall cottage retreat suddenly after a couple of series on the BBC. Perhaps it's supposed to be an indication he's spending beyond his means.

Yes - it was pretty explicit from my memory. And done with the help of Darryl Flench.

I assumed that (although it isn't a parody) This Time was the in-universe equivalent of The One Show so Alan would be getting a 6 figure income. He's very likely to have spunked that on a 2nd property mortgage somewhere it's way too expensive to buy.   

BeardFaceMan

Yeah if he was signing contracts for 200 grand a year back in the 90s it's not unfathomable that he has enough cash from the This Time gig for a little cottage retreat. Although it wouldn't suprise me if he had it on a timeshare.

Quote from: wooders1978 on June 11, 2021, 08:18:22 AM

That's a 6 and a half hour drive.  Unless he goes straight from the 'This Time' filming.

I find myself oddly invested in the practicalities concerning a fictional holiday cottage.

markburgle

Quote from: FerriswheelBueller on June 10, 2021, 01:05:40 PM
Back when Alan was a mid-roster host on North Norfolk Digital. He's gone up in the world, as has his snobbery.

There's also the fact that Angela was intelligent and well read, which gave him outs as far any dating-beneath-himself anxiety went.

Fact is though, Alan's fragile ego means he has to date beneath himself in some regard. Whether it's looks, intelligence, or class, if he doesn't have some way to feel superior to a woman she'd terrify him

vainsharpdad

Didn't feel this week's episode helped the character progression at all.

Quote from: pigamus on June 06, 2021, 07:50:38 PM
Alan's been doing pretty well these two series, so the whole Princess Anne thing - I'm not saying it came out of nowhere but it seemed kind of contrived to give Alan a meltdown.

Don't know if this has already been mentioned but there was a bit of a set-up of this in the first series; I'd forgotten it until I rewatched the other night.  In the 'sexism' programme in the first series, Alan and Jennie are interviewing a woman about harrassment and Alan hijacks the whole discussion to talk about a boss of his in radio who made him brush her hair and feel uncomfortable... he goes into some other detail but then the upshot is that as part of the fall-out, he was excluded from meeting Princess Anne.  And his final comment is 'And to this day, I have never met Princess Anne', delivered in a way that makes it clear that this was a very very big deal to him.

Glebe

Quote from: waste of chops link=msg=4801237 date=Series 2 outtakes:

Thanks for that!👍

greencalx

Mostly Steve corpsing, but no less enjoyable for that. Hadn't realised he actually looped the loop - assumed that was some camera/stunt trickery.

Sonny_Jim

Nice of them to put it up on Youtube, never bought any of the DVDs but apparently they put a bit of effort into them as well.  Well done Baby Cow.

"Should I ever buy a CHII-NEEEEZ car?" It's interesting to see where they've dialled it back a bit as well although that outtake was pretty funny.

Magnum Valentino

The newer DVDs don't have much on them, but that's not up to the production company, BBC just doesn't budget for it anymore. Stewart Lee talks about it on the second series of Comedy Vehicle where they didn't spring for commentary recordings. I don't think the MMM or This Time DVDs have any extras at all except for the This Time mini-pilot, and they weren't even released on Blu-ray.

The classic Partridge DVDs were top drawer for extras. If sticking stuff on YouTube is the way forward, go for it, although I'm sure there's more than 8 minutes worth looking at

buttgammon

I haven't bought a DVD in a very long time so I'm happy with this. Bloody hell, the I'm Alan Partridge ones were good though, even the menus.

The Bumlord

Quote from: buttgammon on January 07, 2022, 09:15:25 AMI haven't bought a DVD in a very long time so I'm happy with this. Bloody hell, the I'm Alan Partridge ones were good though, even the menus.

They were!

https://youtu.be/xpHb3uIkoiY

H-O-W-L

Quote from: The Bumlord on January 07, 2022, 09:29:50 AMThey were!

https://youtu.be/xpHb3uIkoiY
Quote from: buttgammon on January 07, 2022, 09:15:25 AMI haven't bought a DVD in a very long time so I'm happy with this. Bloody hell, the I'm Alan Partridge ones were good though, even the menus.
Quote from: Magnum Valentino on January 07, 2022, 07:59:15 AMThe newer DVDs don't have much on them, but that's not up to the production company, BBC just doesn't budget for it anymore. Stewart Lee talks about it on the second series of Comedy Vehicle where they didn't spring for commentary recordings. I don't think the MMM or This Time DVDs have any extras at all except for the This Time mini-pilot, and they weren't even released on Blu-ray.

The classic Partridge DVDs were top drawer for extras. If sticking stuff on YouTube is the way forward, go for it, although I'm sure there's more than 8 minutes worth looking at

Aye, I was gonna bring up IAP2's menu! Probably my favorite part of IAP2 really -- both that scene and the menu.

buttgammon

The loop of the menu is hypnotic, I could watch Coogan playing air bass forever!

I also love the IAP1 menu, which is presented in the style of the in-house TV in the Linton Travel Tavern. It asks you if you want to watch Bangkok Chick Boys or not.

Glebe

Could be imagining things but I kinda wonder if there's a couple of moments when Tim Key is trying not to corpse here:

He seems to be laughing both in character and actually corpsing in this Mid Morning Matters clip:

buttgammon

Whenever I watch MMM, there are always points at which I notice Tim Key trying to hold it together. I can't think of anything specific but there's definitely corpsing in there.

Magnum Valentino

His reaction when Alan says "oooh - he'd get battered!" is very genuine I think.

paruses

I agree. Doesn't Coogan look gleeful when he says it too (Coogan not Alan - if you see what I mean)?

The bit about the dog is heartbreaking but the bag of meat payoff is very funny and Key seems to agree (clip above is blocked for me sorry if it's that one).

Glebe

GOLD are screening series one at the moment.