Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:32:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Better dead than red?

Started by Jockice, January 12, 2022, 11:03:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jockice

While I'm having a moan about things that I haven't been treated fairly for during my life, here's an article from the paper I used to work for. You may be surprised to hear I'm in full agreement. But what do you think? Remember, you're allowed to disagree, even though I'm right.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/sheffield-human-rights-advocate-calls-for-more-protection-for-children-with-red-hair-3523672

madhair60

Kankurette

You used to work for the Star? I'm vaguely familiar with it via Alex Miller, he does a lot of Wednesday coverage.

Mr_Simnock

Current hit list of prejudice shite I would like to see the back of

red head bullying
bald people bullying
short people bullying/prejudice
unemployed (must certainly be unemployed on purpose) prejudice
disabled bullying
not married or without some form of life partner stigma/prejudice

as a five foot bald single male with red pubes currently without a job or partner and needing a wheelchair this would improve things a lot ta.

dissolute ocelot

Soon you won't be able to say blondes are stupid, people with six fingers are witches, or baldies don't deserve to live. PC gone mad.

Children (and indeed adults) will bully over almost everything. I guess it depends if it's a genuine, widely-held prejudice that needs tackling, or is just a case of picking something random and teasing remorselessly over it because you're a cunt.

Johnny Yesno

Excuses got in early for expected 0 replies.

shoulders

QuoteChildren (and indeed adults) will bully over almost everything

This is it.

It's also why people don't seem to understand racism in football stands and on social media, making statements like 'what century are we in?'

It's all in the dynamic.

Sure, some are full on politicised racists or simpletons who spout bigotry without truly understanding, but a lot of it is to do with the essence of conflict and confrontation.

For children this is a playground survival mechanism and how they find their respective roles on the shitty social hierarchy.

In football the approach mirrors the contest, fans who want to be in a war with the opposition will find something to use as an edge.

Any perceived weakness at all no matter how superficial or mundane will be used as ammunition.

This exposes the fundamentally brutal nature of humans as a species. Even our enlightened selves are really mainly engaged in proxy/superficially civil equivalents of the same thing. People who aren't racist prop up the exploitation of the Global South through their consumer habits and political inaction.

It sucks having a visible difference and ultimately leaving school, especially at 16, then doing a-levels, was for me like having all of that bullshit flushed away. All of the gobshites, bullies, confrontational sociopaths left.

Finding out that most of the time, normal life isn't like that brutal existentially testing bullying and banter is the biggest relief, but other people with clearly visible and distinct differences won't get off so lightly. There was an upsetting story yesterday about a paralympian with dwarfism being bullied daily, for example. It is centrifugally relieving and horrible to think there's always someone worse off than yourself.

TrenterPercenter

An anecdote

I once had a flat mate from Stroud who was and remains the most virulently anti-ginger person I know. The plot twist however was that he himself was ginger but had some bizarre belief that gingers and red heads where different species and he was firmly in the red head camp.  He would say things like "you can tell the difference because ginger people don't have any lips and knock people when they are aiming" or "they can't be trusted, you should never trust them, they are virtually translucent" whilst complimenting himself on his broad shoulders and height (he was ridiculously pale himself with thick rimmed glasses - and ginger hair).  He was a big gangly engineer lad and quite the character, I think I saw on FB that he had become a comedic kickboxer out in Thailand (I think he got involved in some tourist fight thing and they kept asking him to come back as he looked so ridiculously pale and gangly in the funky shorts).  I'm not 100% sure how serious it all was, one of those, this could be just an epic well kept up comedy personality or just a fantastically eccentric mess - I do miss our time together.

Sorry not sure how this helps anything but yes discrimination is bad also lots of complete badass red head and gingers about to kick this ridiculous old stereotype out the stadium.

Kankurette

Football fans have said as much. They make racist and homophobic comments purely to get at the player and make him angry. Dead kids, cheating wives, cancer, plane crashes, anything is fair game. It's also one of the things I hate about football and one of the reasons why I feel alienated by its culture. Like, making monkey noises at a black player is 'banter'? Fuck that.

And kids do indeed bully over trivial shit. I got bullied over the way I wore my bag. If you wore it on two straps and not one, it marked you out as someone who needed to be shamed.

Also, at the risk of sounding like a perv, I have a thing for women with red hair. Not that ginger/red-haired men aren't hot either. Josh Homme, for instance, even if he is a tool, and the bloke who plays Rand al'Thor in The Wheel of Time.

thenoise

While it would be nice to have a few more hateful bullying topics added to the taboo list, the whole culture needs to change otherwise its just small tweaks to the class of people who are allowed to be successful members of society and the class that isn't.

The trouble is, when they stop picking on the gingers, the disableds and the short, they will focus all their abuse on people like me.

Jockice

Quote from: Kankurette on January 12, 2022, 01:43:15 PMYou used to work for the Star? I'm vaguely familiar with it via Alex Miller, he does a lot of Wednesday coverage.

I did yeah. Left about a decade ago though so I don't really know Alex although I have met him and follow him on Twitter.

flotemysost

Interesting article, with some sad examples of prejudice in there. Man, red hair is beautiful, in all its shades and textures - I don't mean to coo over mixed-race people like they're just an exotic novelty (as many do) but ginger Afro hair in particular can look amazing. I was talking to a Brazilian friend a while back who couldn't comprehend the hatred for redheads over here - apparently back home it's considered seriously special and sexy.

Apparently there is a latent rufous gene on my mum's side (common with lots of people who most likely have some Persian ancestry) but it didn't really come through for me, though my (dark-haired) brother's facial hair is quite rusty when he grows it funnily enough.

Kankurette

Tunisia had a ginger player in the last World Cup.

the Fallen

Quote from: Jockice on January 12, 2022, 11:03:05 AMWhile I'm having a moan about things that I haven't been treated fairly for during my life, here's an article from the paper I used to work for. You may be surprised to hear I'm in full agreement. But what do you think? Remember, you're allowed to disagree, even though I'm right.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/people/sheffield-human-rights-advocate-calls-for-more-protection-for-children-with-red-hair-3523672

I think people are basically horrible

You have red hair? someone will mock it
You're overweight? Someone will mock it
You're short? someone will mock it
You're tall? someone will mock it
You support a football team? someone will mock it
You're upset? someone will mock it
You were born somewhere? someone will mock it
You point out people mock things? Someone will mock it

To me, it's insane to draft human rights to include such things as hair colour. But the real insanity is what led to this point. There's insanity there but it isn't in protecting people. Like being unfair to people about what they can't control, should point blank, be the line you can't cross

Shame on us as a race.

Kankurette

I've been accused of fucking both a cat and a tuba because I had one photo of me holding the former, and one of me playing the latter. People really will go after anything. Never mind that I'm not into barbed catcock and it is physically impossible to fuck a tuba.

seepage

Will you admit to a euphonium?

Blue Jam

I love a hot ginge, me. Damien Lewis of course. Gwilym C Pugh is another.

A proudly ginger friend of mine has a theory that gingers are maligned because so many famous gingers just aren't that likeable- Chris (not Captain America) Evans, Sarah Ferguson, Mick Hucknall etc. That was before Damien Lewis, Gwilym C Pugh, Karen Gillan, Lily Cole, Sarah Snook etc were famous though.

I also don't get this forum's obsession with baldness. Mocking someone for a natural part of the ageing process just seems very mean to me. Unless they're Judd Trump of course. Trying to hide it never looks as good as just owning it.

Blue Jam

Quote from: thenoise on January 12, 2022, 04:00:31 PMThe trouble is, when they stop picking on the gingers, the disableds and the short, they will focus all their abuse on people like me.

"Don't hate me because I'm beautiful" ;)

seepage

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 12, 2022, 08:49:30 PMI love a hot ginge, me. Damien Lewis of course. Gwilym C Pugh is another.

My partner is nonplussed that, if I got to be reincarnated as a human, I'd come back as Damien Lewis.

bgmnts

I hope the conversation turns to how beautiful some ginger people are and ergo they shouldn't be mocked.

Blue Jam

Also: all men have a bit o' ginge in their beard don't they? Maybe hatred of gingers is just the manifestation of self-hatred.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on January 12, 2022, 06:17:24 PMI've been accused of fucking both a cat and a tuba because I had one photo of me holding the former, and one of me playing the latter.

Make sure you get that in the right order if you ever have to say this in court.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

Quote from: Kankurette on January 12, 2022, 06:17:24 PMit is physically impossible to fuck a tuba.

I dunno about that. How wide is the mouthpiece?

jobotic

Blue Jam

Terry Pratchett once wrote:

Quote"Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows"

and while he always seemed like a great bunch of lads I just can't agree with that. Dogs with ginger brows are ace:

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 12, 2022, 09:07:46 PMAlso: all men have a bit o' ginge in their beard don't they? Maybe hatred of gingers is just the manifestation of self-hatred.

I got a bit o'ginge in the beard fo sho.  I mean my family past my parents are all Irish and Scottish (there is some Welsh in there too for good measure) so we've got our fair share of gingers - I've always thought of it as awesome viking warrior stylee, but this is all it is really just xenophobia of the Scottish and the Irish (isn't it?).

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: Jockice on January 12, 2022, 11:03:05 AMWhile I'm having a moan about things that I haven't been treated fairly for during my life

Aye, this. Actually had someone on the street randomly take the piss out of me for my hair last time I was out on the hoy.  It's not particularly outlandish or anything either, just obvs low hanging fruit.  I suppose larger folks get heckled like that too then?  I wonder if it would be viewed as less acceptable than dunking on the ginge though, as there's not so many of them to kick up a fuss.

Kankurette

Berners are my favourite dog breed. Big adorable balls of fluff. I used to think rottweilers had four eyes as a kid until I realised those red dots were eyebrows.
Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on January 12, 2022, 09:12:55 PMI dunno about that. How wide is the mouthpiece?
About the size of a woman's fist. The only hole it's been anywhere near is my mouth.

Blue Jam

TrenterPercenter

The eyebrows are so it looks like they are still awake whilst they are sleeping which is is some pretty damn smarts.

Another tick in the column for the gingers.