Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:01:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Be part of the 25% today - offer expires soon

Started by Buelligan, January 11, 2022, 12:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Crenners on January 12, 2022, 10:02:35 AMLook at a dandelion in the breeze. Oh! wheres he gone?

Ha I went with dandelion too, this was a complete coincidence though.

Crenners

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 12, 2022, 11:37:52 AMHa I went with dandelion too, this was a complete coincidence though.

We must both be puffs

Buelligan

Or maybe a bit obsessed.  Still, it's all in good humour and it's keeping this thread bumped which is great.

Buelligan

Did you mean https://youtu.be/wbJEo7grzlo?t=1440

Sadly, it's not possible to embed time-stamped vids.

Crenners

Quote from: Buelligan on January 12, 2022, 11:43:29 AMOr maybe a bit obsessed.

Lmao you started a thread about the end of the world and had to get a dig in about jabs

🌍🌍🌍🔚🔚🔚

Buelligan

Like I said, all in good humour, keeping the thread bumped and everyone can read.  All good, glad you laughed!

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on January 12, 2022, 11:43:29 AMOr maybe a bit obsessed.  Still, it's all in good humour and it's keeping this thread bumped which is great.

I'm closing the embargo for an hr just this once to say

Get yourself vaxxed.  I'm serious this thing can do you some damage if you are not vaccinated.  I caught it despite being triple vaxxed and got a cold, 10 days it was still living inside me and last week despite testing negative I began feeling like I had hypoglycaemia with extreme fatigue nearly falling asleep in the middle of the day (this is someone that hasn't had a nap in the day regardless of what time he went to bed for nearly 20 years).  My colleagues mum who wasn't old by any means (early 60s)  had "a cold" for two days and then suffered multiple strokes and died - she wasn't vaxxed.

Get it done.

Butchers Blind

I've yet to see a decent argument as to why we should save the human race.

Buelligan

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 12, 2022, 12:16:11 PMI'm closing the embargo for an hr just this once to say

Get yourself vaxxed.  I'm serious this thing can do you some damage if you are not vaccinated.  I caught it despite being triple vaxxed and got a cold, 10 days it was still living inside me and last week despite testing negative I began feeling like I had hypoglycaemia with extreme fatigue nearly falling asleep in the middle of the day. My colleagues mum who wasn't old by any means (early 60s)  had "a cold" for two days and then suffered multiple strokes and died - she wasn't vaxxed.

Get it done.

Glad you care.  Thank you but do try to keep on topic and keep covid talk in the covid sub forum.

KennyMonster

Quote from: Buelligan on January 12, 2022, 11:48:37 AMDid you mean https://youtu.be/wbJEo7grzlo?t=1440

Sadly, it's not possible to embed time-stamped vids.

Yes I did, thanks for letting me know.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Buelligan on January 12, 2022, 12:18:28 PMGlad you care.  Thank you but do try to keep on topic and keep covid talk in the covid sub forum.

Get it done.

<embargo reinstated>

Buelligan

As I said, thanks for the interest in my welfare and the bump to the thread. 

Small Man Big Horse

The video's message is extremely important but I really think it's poorly constructed. Half the time it just looks like it's an advert for "Don't Look Up", and his use of the collapse of the financial markets as a way of telling us that Governments can act when they need too comes across quite badly, especially in the way it ends with a kind of "So yeah, um, something like this sort of needs to happen, and soonish too".

On the following I know opinions may vary, but I feel something like this needs to contain footage which will make it clear just how fucked up things are - there's glimpses of this at the beginning but not nearly enough. His delivery is fine, you need to seem calm and not have someone screaming in your face that the way you think is wrong, but show them footage of the wild fires which will become increasingly common, show them the desperate plight of refugees leaving countries that they can no longer exist in, show animals dying, their natural habitat being destroyed, poverty and starvation in various countries, etc, along with recognised experts in their fields explaining what happens if we don't act, etc, and not just clips of Leonardo DiCaprio being pissy.

I think a clearer message of what needs to be done is needed too, ultimate he kind of whimpers out with a "Please support our patron" message instead of explaining all of the varied ways pressure can be put on organisations and politicians. Don't just advertise one particular group too, mention Amnesty, Greenpeace, etc, etc.

So yeah, it's a pretty poor effort unfortunately, and I doubt it'll make much of a difference despite the good intentions.

Buelligan

I agree with your thought on the Leonardo di Caprio film.  I've not seen the film but felt the same.  I assumed that someone (maybe Monbiot, maybe one of the writers) had seen the film and thought that lots of people who'd also seen the film but aren't normally involved or particularly moved by pictures of suffering and destruction far from them, might connect better with that (and see the parallels, which, I assume, are in the film). 

Also felt that it might have been better to start with the idea of people connecting to build a resistance, rather than leaving that bit until the end - the 25% thing isn't really about going on protests or anything more active than adding ones voice, as often and as loudly as possible (within the bounds of not being a cunt, obvs) to all the other voices who are now saying - this is a big problem, we must do something now!  Creating a social tipping-point to make our leaders start looking at this seriously, not dismissing it as a niche issue.

FWIW, I felt it might draw in more previously uncommitted people if they'd started with hope.  There are plenty of things out there underlining the terrible danger to everything already.  I feel there is a problem with people turning away before they get to solutions or hopes.  But that's just my feeling.

On the Patreon thing, Double Down News put that at the end of all their vids - the main speaker always asks viewers for support for DDN - rather than the particular cause being addressed in that vid.  It's about promoting an independent news ecosphere.  So I'll let them off for making a clearish change of pace there.

chveik

All Surrogate

Quote from: poo on January 12, 2022, 09:17:02 AMHumanity will survive and the Earth just doesn't care what state its in - we'll just live in a much, much shitter version of it.

Hah, that's a really great summary, poo!

the Fallen

Quote from: Butchers Blind on January 12, 2022, 12:16:46 PMI've yet to see a decent argument as to why we should save the human race.

Let alone one not totally obsessed with the human point of view. Talk about bias. Imagine trying that in court. "Your honour I plead not guilty, because I am me, and it's me in the dock"

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: the Fallen on January 13, 2022, 04:44:46 AMLet alone one not totally obsessed with the human point of view. Talk about bias. Imagine trying that in court. "Your honour I plead not guilty, because I am me, and it's me in the dock"

Eh? Climate change is all about humans, humans creating the environmental conditions that causes the collapse of human civilisation.  The Earth will continue on, humans are just wreaking their home temporarily and causing their own demise. This Gaia bollocks is part of the problem as it tells humans to not act in the interest of other humans based on science but the pseudo-religious beliefs in new age Mother Earth woo of some people.

It's how we end up in the bizarre situation were people argue for the extinction of human race whilst telling humans how to behave to save humanity.

The Earth doesn't give a shit about humans, it is a ball of rock with a molten iron core, it remained uninhabitable and hostile to humans for all but a gnats fart of time and it isn't going anywhere regardless of how much smog or daytime TV we chuck into the atmosphere.  Humans are as natural as anything else, our behaviours whilst technological, are similar to overly successful organisms which bring with them a risk of ecosystem collapse.  The difference is we have evolved brains and from these brain technologies that can somewhat predict the future and allow for changes of behaviour.  These brains have made us a super organism and a threat to ourselves by collapsing the global ecosystems that support us.

the Fallen

What are you seeing in my joke post there, exactly

Anyway, animals. Outside the net of humans doing human things. They'll do animal things I suppose. In whatever environment remains. We make it difficult for animals don't we

I would like to see a diatribe entirely from the sea's point of view now you mention it

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: the Fallen on January 13, 2022, 08:53:04 AMWhat are you seeing in my joke post there, exactly

Anyway, animals. Outside the net of humans doing human things. They'll do animal things I suppose. In whatever environment remains. We make it difficult for animals don't we

I would like to see a diatribe entirely from the sea's point of view now you mention it

Not really sure what your joke post means if I'm honest - it seemed like you were saying something about climate change being human centric when climate change is human centric.

the Fallen

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 13, 2022, 09:41:16 AMNot really sure what your joke post means if I'm honest - it seemed like you were saying something about climate change being human centric when climate change is human centric.

Eh. Was a direct riff on this and probably doesn't work outside of it:

"I've yet to see a decent argument as to why we should save the human race."

Me saying: oh, and I bet those arguments would talk about what humans could do for humanity. (with the implication, I suppose, at the grim fact it fucks more than our mere lifeform)

... I'm going to go back to work with my hood up

TrenterPercenter

the Fallen

Buelligan

It is, isn't it! 

I had doubts, anyone would, starting a thread about wanting everyone and thing on earth to survive, it's a touchy subject. 

So glad we've risen above and found our common ground.  A lesson for all humanity there, I think. 

And hope, hope, for us all!

Fambo Number Mive

Our rivers are also filling up with pollution:

QuoteRaw sewage, microplastics and slurry are coursing through all of England's rivers, putting health and nature at risk, a parliamentary report concludes.

Agriculture and water companies are the biggest contributors to this "chemical cocktail", the Environmental Audit Committee warns.

Car tyre particles, oils and wet wipes are also clogging waterways...

People across the country using rivers for activities ranging from sports and swimming to fishing risk falling ill from bacteria in sewage and slurry.

The water and riverbanks are also home to rich plant, fish and insect life and are essential to biodiversity. But chemicals, plastics and an excess of nutrients are choking the water.

No river in England can be given a clean bill of health, the group of MPs on the committee concluded after months of hearing from experts.

Budget cuts are hampering the Environment Agency's ability to stop pollution, says the report.

Capitalism is killing the planet.

bakabaka

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 13, 2022, 10:52:12 AMCapitalism is killing the planet.
If you want to get 25% and more on board you have to stop saying this. I've explained on here before that you need to phrase it as "Consumerism is killing the planet." People are happy to go along with that, but there are over a century's worth of arguments saying that capitalism is the greatest thing since sliced white bread which we will need to overcome before we can make any real headway, so it's just easier to dodge that bullet.

The other main thing I learned when researching teaching this stuff is that, as someone mentioned above, people are much more likely to make changes if the vision of the future they see is positive. All this 'we're all going to die' doom and gloom doesn't get folk on board. Give them a vision of the future that is better than what we have and they will be favourable. And if it happens to limit/cut global warming at the same time then huzzah!
It's not difficult; most people want a fairer, cleaner world and are quite prepared for the top 1% to lose their privileges in the process. It's just the American Dream that's getting in the way.