Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Return of the Yellow Peril?

Started by Blumf, January 13, 2022, 02:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blumf

Covid parties? Noncing prince? We need a distraction! Thank god for those inscrutable Chinese:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-59984380
QuoteA covert Chinese agent has infiltrated Parliament to interfere with UK politics, MI5 has revealed.

An alert from the security service said Christine Ching Kui Lee "established links" with current and aspiring MPs for the Chinese Communist Party (CCP).

She then gave donations to politicians, with funding coming from foreign nationals in China and Hong Kong.

Without a doubt, no other foreign government tries to buy our sacred MPs, so this is very big news indeed, yes.... <cough>

bgmnts

Why am I meant to care about this?

GMTV

Trying to move it away from the standard Russian spy scare stories in the hope they keep the gas prices down?

shiftwork2

Sebastian Cobb

Seems to me the most pragmatic way to solve this would be to identify and deal with mp's that are bent susceptible to foreign influence.

Shit Good Nose

I welcome our new overlords from the far East - let's face it, any "interfering" with UK politics at this stage can only improve it.

mothman

Really you'd think the Conservative Party here would just accept that they're no different and in fact very very similar to the Communist Party in China. They have the same initials; the same disinterest in democracy; they regard the survival and dominance of the Party as trumping all other considerations; they have sizeably ethnic minority populations they like to demonise, stigmatise, and oppress; and they live in a state of permanent suspicion and distrust of neighbouring countries who they regard as inferior, yet feel threatened by just because they're foreign.

Buelligan

If only we could get those Chinese out of British affairs.  Disgraceful stuff.

king_tubby

Weird that this story that's been about since 2017 is suddenly getting amplified today of all days, when Labour are now ten points up in the polls and the PM is on the ropes.

I can't understand it at all.

steveh

Found this interesting on the background: https://twitter.com/METhorley/status/1481666364020568067. Funding seems to have been primarily in relation to helping China's involvement in the UK nuclear industry.

Fambo Number Mive

I imagine the UK does the same in China, doesn't every country spy on each other?

mothman

Yes. Except Russia. They're the best of us.

bgmnts

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 13, 2022, 06:08:20 PMI imagine the UK does the same in China, doesn't every country spy on each other?

And they probably all want the same things as well.

It's all so silly.

Buelligan

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 13, 2022, 06:08:20 PMI imagine the UK does the same in China, doesn't every country spy on each other?

Some of them are so keen, they even spy on themselves.

Captain Z

The problem with donations from Chinese spies is that an hour later you want another one.

mothman

Obviously I'm just being paranoid that this news has found prominence today, with this individual's links to a Labour MP going back to the time of the last Labour government and with lots of photos of her with Labour politicians (including, on C4 News, TWO with Corbyn) AND a statement from Priti Patel..?

king_tubby

mothman

I think they'd prefer nobody thought about the Russians at all, especially if it were to lead the conversation anywhere in the direction of Russian interference in the Brexit referendum.

chveik

that's false. in terms of sheer scale anti-russian coverage still gets prominence. every day there's a new cunt that tells you we need to go to war

Shit Good Nose

When I was younger it always confused me when films or news reports in the south east corner of Russia had Chinese folk speaking Russian and white folk speaking Chinese.

Funny old world innit.

Cold Meat Platter