Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Not using question marks

Started by shiftwork2, January 13, 2022, 09:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

Do you think it's funnier if you don't use question marks.  Does it seem laconic and cool if it's obviously a question but you neglect to punctuate properly.  Do you think it implies a yeah reply if you want not bothered.

Talk about not using question marks?

Video Game Fan 2000

I think I picked it up from Achewood

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

amateur

oy vey

Coworkers who email a request without putting a question mark at the end are cunts, especially if they use a thanks instead.

Can you do that thing for me, thanks.

Sebastian Cobb

Why am I expected to give a fuck about any of this‽

shiftwork2

Johnny Yesno

shiftwork2

willbo

Ray Travez

I like it. I dont know why

"Why bother?"

"Why bother"

It's more resigned.

Crenners

It's disrespectful to the reader and tiring to read

Hence

Uncle TechTip

I think 'lol' is the new question mark. As in "why should I wear a mask lol"

The Mollusk

Works best when you're trying to emphasise the lack of intonation in the sentence, which can either reflect a particular disdain or a larger overarching apathy in the human condition.

"Fuck you on about mate" reads much better than it would if there was a question mark at the end.

Cutting words out to further assert to the lack of effort also. Between myself and a couple of friends who used to live together, when messaging to ask what the others were up to, we quickly whittled "What you saying?" down to "sayin".

touchingcloth

Where have you seen this sort of thing.

dissolute ocelot

Young people hate punctuation

You only use a question mark if you're like really wtf?

And full stops are about the rudest thing you can write.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

I think people who don't use question marks properly are stupid?

bgmnts

I suppose it must be a generational thing or how americanised you are but I need punctuation in order to fully understand  what someone is trying to convey.

Bently Sheds

What about those people? Who speak like everything is a question? I first heard it with visiting Australians? But now everyone seems to be doing it? It's proper annoying?

Are they using up all the question marks.

Paul Calf

It's known as Australian Question Intonation (or the High Rising Terminal if you don't want to BE RACIST).

I think it's, like, quite common in some American dialects too?

What about them spanishs what use 2

Blinder Data

According to this weird person on Twitter, there are people out there who say "question mark" instead of inflecting:

Quote from: https://twitter.com/LauraDeming/status/1480606666622185480I + all my friends have started saying 'question mark' instead of inflecting a sentence

Today a random biopharma industry person did it in conversation

Does anyone know where this trend started?

I don't think it's a joke. Mind-boggling.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

This is how the world ends. Not with an interrobang, but with a whimper.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Blinder Data on January 14, 2022, 11:27:34 AMAccording to this weird person on Twitter, there are people out there who say "question mark" instead of inflecting:

I don't think it's a joke. Mind-boggling.
I blame Destiny's Child.

Butchers Blind

No question marks, then why not get rid of all punctuation and then where will we be(?)

Blinder Data

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 14, 2022, 11:37:28 AMI blame Destiny's Child.

Apparently it's a result of using Siri/OK Google to write your messages. Still weird and wrong.

zomgmouse

there's a difference between ending a question sentence with a full stop and ending one without any punctuation at all