Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wordle! It's the new craze

Started by kalowski, January 06, 2022, 10:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Took a while on this one!

Wordle 208 4/6

🟩⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟩⬜⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩⬜🟩⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ARISE
ANNEX
ABLED
ABBEY

I wasn't sure if there was an indicator for double letters. Good to know there isn't!
[close]

pigamus

mothman

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2022, 05:38:07 PMNah. It's allowed on Countdown, and I do it with crossword anagrams. I don't actually have a pen or any paper these days, but I use Xs in Wordle so I can make a word with blanks and correct letters in the right places!
That's a good idea, might try that.

amateur

Quote from: pigamus on January 13, 2022, 05:52:06 PMSeems choosing non-possible answers isn't a bad strategy

https://slate.com/technology/2022/01/wordle-how-to-win-strategy-crossword-experts.html

Cracking article that, thanks.

It's quite nice to fail sometimes as well, I find. 

touchingcloth

Quote from: amateur on January 13, 2022, 06:26:59 PMCracking article that, thanks.

It's quite nice to fail sometimes as well, I find. 

I was enjoying the article until it switched to talking about having analysed the Wordle source code and calculated an optimal strategy for solving its (current) ~2,000 list of words. It would make it feel less fun playing a strategy which has been refined through cheating rather than one which would work for five letter words in general.

The crossword bollocks "optimal" first word they gave of SOARE can get in grave, frankly. Though it's pleasingly close to one I've used a few times of SNARE.

Hmm. GRAVE being mentioned up there gives me an idea. Maybe I'll pick a new word to use as my first guess every day for a week. Or if anyone fancied posting a "CaB first word of the day" in this here thread (perhaps the first person to post each day gets to choose, perhaps also with some kind of agreement to not take the piss by always being the one to post at 00:00) we could all play that and make it a little less random and more competitive.

mothman

Wordle 209 4/6

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
LEAST
PITTA
TALON
TANGY
[close]

Poobum

Wordle 209 3/6

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟩
⬜🟩🟩⬜🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
WEARY
DANDY
TANGY
[close]

So fluky. Second guess was ridiculous whimsy.

machotrouts

Wordle 209 4/6

🟨🟨⬜🟨⬜
⬜🟩⬜🟨🟨
⬜🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ATONE
SAINT
PANTY
TANGY

Accidentally putting that N in the same wrong place twice... for 20 hot seconds I was ready to fucking KILL myself
[close]

BritishHobo

Wordle 209 3/6*

🟨⬜⬜⬜🟨
🟨🟩⬜🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ALIEN
NASTY
TANGY

Killing it with the Y's.
[close]

wrec

Wordle 209 6/6

🟨⬛⬛⬛⬛
⬛⬛⬛⬛🟨
⬛⬛🟨⬛⬛
🟩🟩⬛🟨🟩
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ARISE
DOUBT
CHALK
TAWNY
TATTY (WTF. Moronic)
TANGY
[close]

pigamus

Quote from: pigamus on January 13, 2022, 05:52:06 PMSeems choosing non-possible answers isn't a bad strategy

https://slate.com/technology/2022/01/wordle-how-to-win-strategy-crossword-experts.html

Okay I decided to go with the strategy outlined here - it worked! Got it straight away!

Wordle 209 4/6

🟨⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜⬜⬜⬜
⬜⬜🟨🟨🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
YOURS
LIMED
CHANT
TANGY
[close]

Noodle Lizard

Since I am (so far) able to get them within 4 guesses using nothing but the immense power of my brain, I shall not be using any tips, hacks or strategies. Thank you very much.

pigamus

Oooh, I bet you've got a really big willy Noodle Lizard

Do you do the actual game with your really big willy or are they just coterminous

touchingcloth

After my failure to get it at all yesterday, I'm happy with getting it in 3.

Wordle 209 3/6

🟨⬜🟨⬜⬜
⬜🟨⬜⬜🟨 <- I like the staggered yellows on these first two rows. V pleasing.
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
GRAVE
SNOUT
TANGY
[close]

jaydee81

Have the last three days had a Y at the end?

Wordle 209 3/6*

⬜⬜🟨⬜🟨
🟩🟩⬜⬜⬜
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
ROAST
TABLE
TANGY

I nearly went for "tawny".
[close]

pigamus

Quote from: jaydee81 on January 14, 2022, 09:56:07 AMHave the last three days had a Y at the end?

The last seven, I think

And the seven before that

Cuellar

Struck it lucky, got this one in one

Wordle 209 1/6

🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Dex Sawash

Wordle 209 4/6

⬛🟨⬛🟨⬛
🟨⬛🟨🟨⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩⬛
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
stear
Neath
Tango
Tangy
[close]

jaydee81

Quote from: pigamus on January 14, 2022, 10:39:43 AMThe last seven, I think

And the seven before that

Awww man, can't believe I walked into that one

Dex Sawash

Quote from: jaydee81 on January 14, 2022, 11:23:11 AMAwww man, can't believe I walked into that one

Can't believe I didn't get the joke but this word gaming is deadly serious

JaDanketies

Failed it today

Spoiler alert
ADIEU
CRYPT
TASTY
TALKY
TABBY
TAFFY
[close]

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on January 14, 2022, 02:36:37 AMSince I am (so far) able to get them within 4 guesses using nothing but the immense power of my brain, I shall not be using any tips, hacks or strategies. Thank you very much.

Yeah I've seen comments from people taking a really long time over it, it usually takes me around a minute.  (I have 4 fours, 2 fives  and 2 sixes.  The only fail was when I tried a strategy of using words that use lots of popular letters.  I shan't be trying that again!)

Wordle 209 4/6

⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟩🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
PANIC
RANGE
MANGY
TANGY
[close]

niat

Wordle 209 3/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
BEAST
TALON
TANGY
[close]

Is anyone else playing on "Hard mode"? You can switch it on in settings and it means "any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses." I play like that anyway but I noticed that my daughter was sometimes using guesses that didn't contain previously revealed words.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Wordle 209 5/6

⬜⬜⬜🟨⬜
⬜⬜🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩⬜⬜
⬜🟩🟩🟨🟩
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
SPUNK
NONCE
LANDS
PANTY
TANGY
[close]
just use rude words, you can't go wrong

wrec

What's rude about
Spoiler alert
LANDS
[close]
?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: wrec on January 14, 2022, 01:52:56 PMWhat's rude about
Spoiler alert
LANDS
[close]
?
Nothing rude about that one but three out of five were rude.

falafel

Quote from: niat on January 14, 2022, 12:33:25 PMWordle 209 3/6*

⬛⬛🟨⬛🟨
🟩🟩⬛⬛🟨
🟩🟩🟩🟩🟩

Spoiler alert
BEAST
TALON
TANGY
[close]

Is anyone else playing on "Hard mode"? You can switch it on in settings and it means "any revealed hints must be used in subsequent guesses." I play like that anyway but I noticed that my daughter was sometimes using guesses that didn't contain previously revealed words.

I feel like that's more like easy mode, because I always try to avoid duplication or missing letters I already know - it seems inefficient, shooting yourself in the foot.

Cuellar

Why in the name of christ if you got a yellow would you not then try that same yellow in a different place, in the hopes of getting it green?

pigamus

Because that's information you already have, and a completely different set of letters gives you more information