Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:12:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Peacemaker TV Series

Started by up_the_hampipe, January 14, 2022, 01:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

up_the_hampipe

The first 3 episodes of this spin-off to The Suicide Squad just came out today. All episodes written and directed by James Gunn.

First episode was pretty fun and this has potential to be better than TSS. After all, John Cena is very likeable and Harley Quinn is nowhere to be found. That said, the show might have already peaked with the title sequence. I have issues with Gunn's style but it might be better suited to this sort of superhero sitcom format.

dissolute ocelot

There doesn't seem to be any planned UK broadcast/streaming for this at the moment, which is a shame. Cena is a good comic actor, and a bit of brutal violence is always funny. Not sufficiently bothered to put any effort into downloading it though.

dead-ced-dead

I was lukewarm on The Suicide Squad in theatres but it improved a lot on a rewatch. I sort of felt like the rough around the edges raggedness that rubbed me up the wrong way in theatres was the same thing that charmed me when watching it at home. Cena is definitely one of the highlights, so I'm looking forward to this.

up_the_hampipe

The opening title sequence if anyone wants to enjoy it repeatedly:

Mister Six

I'll admit, that's a pretty good intro sequence.

13 schoolyards

Having watched the first episode, I wasn't sure the movie Peacemaker would be able to support a solo series, even if Cena obviously could. But they've added just enough depth to the character here to make him (somewhat) likable, without trashing what made the movie version funny - he's not just a clueless straight man his wise-cracking support team can bounce gags off.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The titles have convinced me that I want to watch this. Is it necessary to have seen the film first?

madhair60

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 14, 2022, 04:19:25 PMThe opening title sequence if anyone wants to enjoy it repeatedly:

Me after ten seconds of that "This is meme crap for genuine defectives"

Me after thirty seconds of that "This is the best thing I've ever seen"

Alberon

There's a 'previously on' at the start that catches you up mostly.

That title sequence posted above seems to be missing the repeated squawks from Eagly at the end which, for some reason, seems to be my favourite bit.

Watched the first three and it's good. Liked the balcony escape bit in the second episode.

beanheadmcginty

Every time I watch that title sequence I'm mesmerised by the manoeuvre Robert Patrick does with his hips.

olliebean

Quote from: Alberon on January 16, 2022, 11:12:48 PMThere's a 'previously on' at the start that catches you up mostly.

There's a "previously" that is quite obviously intended for the purpose of jogging the memory of people who've seen the film, and essentially tells you bugger-all if you haven't.

Stuck with it regardless, but was fed up with it by halfway through the first episode. Peacemaker is a twat, and not in an especially funny way. Perhaps I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd seen the film, but I never had any particular desire to see the film. (I did give the first one - which I don't think he's in - a go when it was on Netflix, but got fed up with that as well.)

For a while now, I've felt that Legends of Tomorrow has been the only DC thing worth my time, and this has done nothing to change that feeling.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: olliebean on January 17, 2022, 08:30:58 AMThere's a "previously" that is quite obviously intended for the purpose of jogging the memory of people who've seen the film, and essentially tells you bugger-all if you haven't.

Stuck with it regardless, but was fed up with it by halfway through the first episode. Peacemaker is a twat, and not in an especially funny way. Perhaps I'd have enjoyed it more if I'd seen the film, but I never had any particular desire to see the film. (I did give the first one - which I don't think he's in - a go when it was on Netflix, but got fed up with that as well.)

For a while now, I've felt that Legends of Tomorrow has been the only DC thing worth my time, and this has done nothing to change that feeling.

He's no less a twat in the movie.

Spoiler alert
In fact, in the third act he's revealed to be kind of a baddie. I say "kind of", because the entire Suicide Squad are baddies. It's revealed in the third act that Amanda Waller has given Peacemaker a secondary mission to steal evidence that the US government was involved in the mission they've been tasked with stopping.

Rick Flagg wants to leak the footage so Peacemaker kills him. This is seen by Ratcatcher 2, the innocent of the group who Idris Elba's Bloodsport swore to protect, so when Peacemaker tries to kill her too, Bloodsport shoots him in the neck, which apparently doesn't kill him.

This happens just as the rest of the squad has a change of heart and decides to do the right thing because it's right, in typical superhero movie fashion. So by this point, Peacemaker is an antagonist and kind of a twat.
[close]

I hope that helps. This may also help Alberon, too.

up_the_hampipe

I've been really enjoying this, the last two episodes in particular have really delivered. The cast are starting to gel really well, it would almost seem like a waste not to do a second season. Not sure if that's in the pipeline.

James Gunn's writing/directing, however, has always been a bit frustrating. There's a lot I do like, he's clearly a very talented writer, but his comedy can often be ropey at best. The comedy works when it's part of the plot, but the tangents between the characters feel so unnatural, especially when there's some heavy-handed message behind it. If you paired Gunn with an experienced comedy writer who could tweak the jokes and trim the fat off the dialogue, you'd have something truly exceptional.

phantom_power

Renewed for a second season, yay

Clownbaby

Quote from: up_the_hampipe on January 14, 2022, 04:19:25 PMThe opening title sequence if anyone wants to enjoy it repeatedly:

Well, I'm sold.

Still pissed off that my boy Polka Dot Man didn't survive though. May he rest in Polka Dots.