Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:50:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How in step with the GUFFAW thread are you?

Started by Catalogue of ills, January 14, 2022, 04:55:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Catalogue of ills

I'm almost completely out of step with it. 95% not even a smile, nothing.

But there is a lot of stuff on CaB that I find really funny, so I think this is further proof that my sense of humour is really quite peculiar. How in or out of step with the GUFFAW thread are you?

Emma Raducanu

Usually what's funny in its own thread doesn't transfer well to the guffaw thread. That doesn't invalidate it's existence. Sometimes it's worth reading from the beginning, arriving at the joke at the right time and in context.

Crenners

Probably one of the least consistently funny threads on the forum tbf

The Dog

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on January 14, 2022, 04:55:26 PMI'm almost completely out of step with it. 95% not even a smile, nothing.

But there is a lot of stuff on CaB that I find really funny, so I think this is further proof that my sense of humour is really quite peculiar. How in or out of step with the GUFFAW thread are you?

Why aren't you adding the things that make you guffaw to the guffaw thread? This is VERY important our records MUST be accurate.

imitationleather

I keep getting PMs from people saying they're concerned that not enough of my posts appear in that thread and that they reckon if the situation doesn't change the forum should be shut down.

Make of that what you will.

Anyone who doesn't feature in that thread at least once per financial year gets banned, so you do get a few pity posts for popular members who people want to save.

Ray Travez

The very act of adding something to that thread kills it a bit, robs it of the element of surprise. Still, what can you do? I sometimes add 'made me laugh' as a comment to a thread, but it's rather gauche.

A lot of posts I think are very funny or clever go completely unremarked.

Replies From View

The thread is quite crap, in the sense that it has a disproportionate lack of my posts even though they are really really funny.

idunnosomename

I come across a few things I wouldnt otherwise with it.

You only have yourself to blame really

Bingo Fury

When I'm on the guffaw thread, I frequently forget I'm on the guffaw thread and consequently get perplexed because I can't figure out what subject all these disjointed posts are supposed to be about.

The Mollusk

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand the GUFFAW thread. The humor is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of historical nonces and The Beatles most of the jokes will go over a typical reader's head. There's also the forum's onanistic outlook, which is deftly woven into its characterisation - their personal philosophy draws heavily from classic wanking threads, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realize that they're not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike the GUFFAW thread truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humour in CaB's existencial catchphrase "grave," which itself is a cryptic reference to Andy Dawson's epic Get In The Sea. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as madhair60's genius unfolds itself on their computer screens. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Cook'd and Bomb'd tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

oy vey

Most shit makes me laugh here and I think I should add it but too lazy to. Context is the issue - it's hard to get it from the reposts. True story - I cheated my way into Guffaw once with something that was funnier out of the context I meant it. Like a good wank, ashamed and proud.

Beagle 2

Maybe we could start a new thread with the funniest posts from the Guffaw thread?

Buelligan

I've visited it about three times ever.  It gives me an uncomfortable feeling.  There, I've said it.

Crenners

It's really shit most of the time.

Tryhard cringe rants and puns, really weak absurdist descriptions that go on too long long but you can see the person writing it thinks it's really funny.

Then you have the posters who quote stuff in there all the time and you think fucking hell, you must be howling with laughter at nothing all the time, you witless fucking simpleton. Either that or you're just trying to curry favour with people on here by guzzling their fuckin chode all the time. What a cunt you must be to share any part of any day with. We'll all be better off the sooner you're dead.

imitationleather

Quote from: Crenners on January 14, 2022, 06:53:09 PMTryhard cringe rants and puns, really weak absurdist descriptions that go on too long long but you can see the person writing it thinks it's really funny.

Since, as I already established, my posts are never featured there's no need for me to stay awake all night worrying that you're talking about me!!

pigamus

I need the Guffaw thread to validate my existence, therefore if you don't like it naff orf

Crenners

Quote from: imitationleather on January 14, 2022, 06:54:56 PMSince, as I already established, my posts are never featured there's no need for me to stay awake all night worrying that you're talking about me!!

😂😂😂

For reassurance, I was also making that post in the style of one of the guffaw thread posts.

Some people really get angry about unimportant things and they just can't hold it in!

😂😂😂

Ferris

Quote from: imitationleather on January 14, 2022, 05:20:31 PMI keep getting PMs from people saying they're concerned that not enough of my posts appear in that thread and that they reckon if the situation doesn't change the forum should be shut down.

Make of that what you will.

To be honest mate I was just trying to make you feel better about your woeful efforts. Some absolute stinkers in the latest crop.

Goldentony

I personally cant believe theres the option to post in italics and also a preview button for posts, I want 7 pages on it

mothman

It's all one big cliquey mess, he said, not bitter at all because he's actually hilarious IRL but has been in there like twice.

Ray Travez

Quote from: mothman on January 14, 2022, 07:13:42 PMIt's all one big cliquey mess, he said, not bitter at all because he's actually hilarious IRL but has been in there like twice.

See this is the thing. You made me laugh today with something, but I don't want to clog up that thread with stuff. Apparently I'm already a massive cunt and simpleton for posting there as regularly as I do. So people end up feeling underappreciated, as the thread doesn't really work. Becomes more like a contest than an accurate reflection of what is funny on the forum.

But as I say, I like to give some kind of recognition if someone makes me laugh, and that is all that's available.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Crenners on January 14, 2022, 06:53:09 PMIt's really shit most of the time.

Tryhard cringe rants and puns, really weak absurdist descriptions that go on too long long but you can see the person writing it thinks it's really funny.

Then you have the posters who quote stuff in there all the time and you think fucking hell, you must be howling with laughter at nothing all the time, you witless fucking simpleton. Either that or you're just trying to curry favour with people on here by guzzling their fuckin chode all the time. What a cunt you must be to share any part of any day with. We'll all be better off the sooner you're dead.

I laughed (and instantly posted it in the guffaw thread)

Kankurette

Quote from: Crenners on January 14, 2022, 06:53:09 PMWe'll all be better off the sooner you're dead.
Oh don't worry. I think that about myself too.

mothman

Why thank you Ray!

Truthfully, I don't know how I feel about the Guffaw threads. Is it nice to get in there? Sure. Is it a bit soul-destroying if something you say that you think was funny doesn't get in there? Sort of; I mean, I don't automatically expect people to find anything I say funny, and maybe they don't.

It's not my raison d'etre being here - after all, how long have the Guffaw threads been around?

My perception is they're a recent thing - post Karma, maybe? A way to acknowledge funny posts without filling threads with pages of quotes and laughing emojis? I don't know.

Kankurette

I'm sorry, lads. I'll try to post in there less.

TrenterPercenter

Thread is fine.

Quote from: Kankurette on January 14, 2022, 07:41:22 PMI'm sorry, lads. I'll try to post in there less.

Kanks you probably don't know yet but when you see that Crenner posts something on CaB always do or think the opposite of it.  Under no circumstances take it seriously.

Ray Travez

Quote from: mothman on January 14, 2022, 07:36:15 PMMy perception is they're a recent thing - post Karma, maybe? A way to acknowledge funny posts without filling threads with pages of quotes and laughing emojis? I don't know.

Yeah, it was an ad hoc way to acknowledge a funny post after the ability to leave a comment on someone's post was lost after a spam attack. I think it grew out of a sort of 'best of CaB/ CaB gold' thread.

Incidentally the post of yours that made me laugh was 'Bit upskirty though.'

non capisco

That number by the little bell at the top when someone's quoted you in a thread is like when you get an email from The National Lottery saying 'News about your ticket'.

TrenterPercenter

Had two from the Labour thread the other day - just dismissed them instantly.  It is duel purpose in some ways.