Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 01:28:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Top of the Pops on BBC Four - Thread Three

Started by daf, November 05, 2020, 08:25:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sweeper

Carter's best moment was The Only Living Boy in New Cross, and I think their go on TOTP with this was a great performance, if my memory is good. We'll find out in a few weeks.

Also, is it just me or are 2 Unlimited head and shoulders above all the other chart dance acts at this point in time, bar Prodigy?

Quote from: sweeper on January 11, 2022, 12:05:44 PMAlso, is it just me or are 2 Unlimited head and shoulders above all the other chart dance acts at this point in time, bar Prodigy?

Always had a soft spot for Twilight Zone, though it's hard work watching lovely Anita try to sing it live.  After this, I didn't really like anything else they did.  No Limit was atrocious.

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 08, 2022, 09:49:07 PMOf all the indie bands to decide to put out twelve singles in a year... why did it have to be The Wedding Present? Stupefyingly dull

Norton Canes

Norton Canes

So, what we got coming up tonight? Urgh, there's another Rose-chasm between the two broadacast episodes, and a particularly whiffy one at that, full of video clips from Brits '92 hopefuls and another Jacko exclusive. Definitely his least-missed episode.

daf

(ignore that - pressed post instead of preview!)

monkfromhavana

Kicks Like A Mule - two of the leading lights of the UK music industry there.

monkfromhavana

Dream Frequency are probably the best Rave PA I have seen, they were a huge influence anywhere north of Stoke-On-Trent, both in terms of their music and their performances. Of their two chart hits, "Feel So Real" was not as good as "Take Me", but is still a bit of a belter.

Madonna supposedly took an interest in signing them to her label, but quickly dropped the idea when she realized that Debbie Sharp was pregnant. Girl power!

I couldn't tell you the name of a single Manic Street Preachers song, and I have never knowingly listened to any of their songs. It's quite good. I had always imagined them being a bit gloomy sounding and long leather coats.

Icehaven

monkfromhavana

How long is this MJ dross going to last?

daf

Lead guitar from Ride thinks he's too good to be on the Pops - grow up mate!

Norton Canes

Quote from: monkfromhavana on January 14, 2022, 08:40:47 PMHow long is this MJ dross going to last?

Not as long as this Bryan Adams dross I bet

Norton Canes

Oh great The Pasadenas again

Thanks Adrian

Norton Canes

Ho hum, bit stuck for anything to do. I know, I'll paste in all the chart new entries for the three weeks covered tonight.

26th Jan

12 I'M DOING FINE NOW - THE PASADENAS
13 THE BOUNCER - KICKS LIKE A MULE
22 BORN OF FRUSTRATION - JAMES
27 YOU LOVE US - MANIC STREET PREACHERS
28 CAN YOU HANDLE IT? FT SHARON REDD - DNA FEATURING SHARON REDD
32 LOVE MOVES (IN MYSTERIOUS WAYS) - JULIA FORDHAM
35 LOVE IS EVERYWHERE - CICERO
39 SO WHAT! - RONNY JORDAN

2nd Feb

12 DIXIE-NARCO (EP) - PRIMAL SCREAM
18 FOR YOUR BABIES - SIMPLY RED
29 STEEL BARS - MICHAEL BOLTON
31 WHAT YOU DO TO ME (EP) - TEENAGE FANCLUB
33 I'LL CRY FOR YOU - EUROPE
34 MOIRA JANE'S CAFE - DEFINITION OF SOUND
36 STOP - MEGA CITY FOUR
37 COMEUPPANCE (EP) - THOUSAND YARD STARE
38 VISIONS OF YOU - JAH WOBBLE'S INVADERS OF THE HEART (ah that's one of me and Mrs Canes' special songs, shame they never got them in the studio)

9th Feb

Fucking hell there are tons of these. Not doing this again.

6 REMEMBER THE TIME - MICHAEL JACKSON
9 LEAVE THEM ALL BEHIND - RIDE
10 REVERENCE - THE JESUS AND MARY CHAIN
13 MY GIRL {1992} - THE TEMPTATIONS
17 ALIVE - PEARL JAM
20 SOME INTERMINABLE FUCKING SNORE-FEST - THE WEDDING PRESENT
24 MUTATIONS (EP) - ORBITAL
25 DREAM COME TRUE - THE BRAND NEW HEAVIES
27 THE FORCE BEHIND THE POWER - DIANA ROSS
29 LOVE THING - TINA TURNER
30 OPTIMISTIC - THE SOUNDS OF BLACKNESS
32 ALONE WITH YOU - TEXAS
36 FAR OUT - SON'Z OF A LOOP-DE-LOOP ERA
38 IT MUST BE LOVE {1992} - MADNESS
39 THE BIG ONES GET AWAY - BUFFY SAINTE-MARIE

(Plus Daisy Chainsaw's Love Your Money went up from 35 to 26 and they still didn't get on the show)

Right, can't put off watching the Roseblocked episode any longer...

kalowski

You Love Us was the last good Manics single.

Jackson K Pollock

The close up of that kid yawning at the end of the Simply Red video in the breakers was just *perfect*.

Chicory

Does anyone have a link to the presumably Rose-cunted 6 Feb episode?

non capisco

Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on January 14, 2022, 10:56:56 PMThe close up of that kid yawning at the end of the Simply Red video in the breakers was just *perfect*.

See also : the floating multiple number 1s for the Wet Wet Wet video looking more like it said ZZZZZZZZZ

I also really enjoyed Kicks Like A Mule conjuring up as close to a rave-like atmosphere as TOTP will allow with an air horn going off and a swooping close up of one of the keyboard players clearly off his bollocks on a 1992 strength bumble chewing the inside of his cheeks off, suddenly undercut by a shot of a nerdy bloke in the audience dancing exactly like Mr. Bean. "Rave on, teddy!"

non capisco

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 14, 2022, 08:52:18 PMNot as long as this Bryan Adams dross I bet

Early CGI effects like those poxy dolphins continually jumping out of that cornfield and all the "magical" goings on in that ropey ass Michael Jackson video have dated much worse than anything from the 80s. 

non capisco

Quote from: Chicory on January 15, 2022, 12:40:15 AMDoes anyone have a link to the presumably Rose-cunted 6 Feb episode?

PM'd you. You're not missing much with that though. It's mostly that Michael Jackson video but in full plus an interminable sequence where Adrian "squeaky foetus" Rose runs through all the Brit Awards nominations.

sweeper

Quote from: daf on January 14, 2022, 08:45:48 PMLead guitar from Ride thinks he's too good to be on the Pops - grow up mate!

Little did he know, this was the best it would ever get for Ride. That's him at the crest of the wave, rolling his eyes and shrugging.

Indie: don't do it, kids.

Norton Canes

Is he the one that ended up in Oasis? Figures.

sweeper

Not before first walking through the purgatorial hot coals of Hurricane #1.

Seems like a really nice chap these days, to be fair.

Norton Canes

This batch of shows was a mixed bag of confections compared to last week's triple pack of exceptionally crisp and delicious biscuits. Said it before but these extended video 'exclusives' are totally sucking the life out of the programme. To think it was only a couple of years ago they were stripping video clips and studio performances right back in order to cram as many songs as possible into each episode.

Feel like I could make an art installation from the opening link of the first show, though. It's quite the tableau. Tony and Claudia centrestage in their billowing early 90's ensembles. It's a particularly strong vaudevillian look from Claudia, who looks like she's about to burst into a rendition of We're A Couple Of Swells. Sweeping through the crowd from stage right: yellow top girl is so excited she can't help dancing to the theme tune; gawky indie boy over Tony's shoulder deals a protracted stare to camera; something sets red gloves girl off and she suddenly decides her freind should get involved; and someone's determined to stay cool even though his girlfriend's encouraging him to loosen up. Still no idea exactly what Tony says right at the start - "Hi troops" something, even the subtitles give up. Love how he casually slips in "and we have the ragga version of The Bouncer" like it's going to make anyone thinking eh, shall I watch this or not stay rooted to their seats.

The whole sequence only lasts about twenty seconds but it should be set on permanent loop and installed in the Tate.

Chicory

Quote from: Norton Canes on January 15, 2022, 09:34:27 AMIs he the one that ended up in Oasis? Figures.

Not even the best Andy Bell in etc.

matjam13

Top Of The Pops makes a blunder with Color Me Badd, Heartbreaker is not at number 6 in the US Chart it's All 4 Love.

daf

30 January 1992: Presenters: Tony DOrtie & Claudia SimOn

(12) | THE PASADENAS – I'm Doing Fine Now
(13) | KICKS LIKE A MULE – The Bouncer
(22) | JAMES – Born Of Frustration
(08) | THE WONDERSTUFF – Welcome To The Cheap Seats (video)
(24) | DREAM FREQUENCY – Feel So Real
- - - - - - - - - - - (Breakers) - - - - - - - - - - - -
(32) | JULIA FORDHAM – (Love Moves In) Mysterious Ways (video)
(33) | THE BLESSING – Highway 5 (Remix) (video)
(35) | CICERO – Love Is Everywhere (video)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
(27) | MANIC STREET PREACHERS – You Love Us

(28) | D.N.A. feat. SHARON REDD – Can You Handle It
(01) | WET WET WET – Goodnight Girl (video)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

daf

6 February 1992: Presenters: Mark Fr@nklin & Adrian ROse

(12) | PRIMAL SCREAM – Movin' On Up
(02) | 2 UNLIMITED – Twilight Zone
- - - - - - - - - - - (Brits 1992) - - - - - - - - - - - -
SEAL – Killer (video)
KENNY THOMAS – Thinking About Your Love (video)
CATHY DENNIS – Everybody Move (video)
EXTREME – Get The Funk Out (video)
THE KLF – Last Train To Trancentral (video)
BEVERLEY CRAVEN – Promise Me (video)
SIMPLY RED – Stars (video)
(05) | CURTIS STIGERS – I Wonder Why
(06) | SHAKESPEAR'S SISTER – Stay

NEW | MICHAEL JACKSON – Remember The Time (video)
(01) | WET WET WET – Goodnight Girl (video)

Spoiler alert

A lot of quite average stuff, but early Manics and Kicks Like a Mule were a delight.

Movin' On Up brings the Dad dancing.

Color Me Badd follow up single - man looks like he's smelt a particularly fruity one. Of course, it's Andy Bell misbehaving in Ride but its a nice little song. Bryan Adams goes on a bit.

Also liking the way Stay is taking its time climbing up the charts ...