Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:16:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veggie Option

Started by seepage, January 14, 2022, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seepage

Spotted on the menu for a recent private function:

Veggie Option: Cod in Parsley Sauce

Shit Good Nose

To be fair, there are still loads of self-proclaimed vegetarians out there that don't understand the difference between vegetarian and pescetarian.  Amazingly I know two, and they are both old enough to know better.  You give up explaining it after the third or fourth attempt, whilst they're tucking into their fish supper.

imitationleather

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 14, 2022, 02:47:05 PMTo be fair, there are still loads of self-proclaimed vegetarians out there that don't understand the difference between vegetarian and pescetarian. 

I don't see what Ian Paisley's mad religion has to do with it?

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: imitationleather on January 14, 2022, 02:49:18 PMI don't see what Ian Paisley's mad religion has to do with it?

Just something for him to shout about. I hope he pulls through, too.

dissolute ocelot

Parsley's a vegetable, what are you complaining about?

The Mollusk

My partner tells me that a lot of places in Japan will have a vegetarian option which is a seafood dish.

Fish are friend not food :(

shagatha crustie

I always used to laugh at the comparatively non-committal attitude to the vegetarian option descriptions in my old work canteen.

TODAYS MEAL £8.50 for lunch, side + drink:

Tender boneless lamb shoulder slow-cooked in rogan josh sauce

OR

Vegetable Curry

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

How the heck did anyone ever decide that fish aren't animals? Is it because their meat has a different texture?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 14, 2022, 03:16:27 PMHow the heck did anyone ever decide that fish aren't animals? Is it because their meat has a different texture?

Apparently some of it (in the West at least) is related to the Catholic thing of you not been allowed to eat 'meat' on Friday's but fish traditionally being ok.

Meat = Animal
Fish != Meat
leading to the flawed logic of Animal != Fish.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 14, 2022, 02:47:05 PMTo be fair, there are still loads of self-proclaimed vegetarians out there that don't understand the difference between vegetarian and pescetarian.  Amazingly I know two, and they are both old enough to know better.  You give up explaining it after the third or fourth attempt, whilst they're tucking into their fish supper.

To be fair how do you know they don't know the difference? Maybe they just can't be bothered to explain to you, an uninvolved bystander, precisely why they haven't chosen what you would have picked for them off a menu.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 03:21:44 PMApparently some of it (in the West at least) is related to the Catholic thing of you not been allowed to eat 'meat' on Friday's but fish traditionally being ok.

Meat = Animal
Fish != Meat
It seems kind of faithless to come up with a loophole to what is a perfectly unambiguous rule (arbitrary as it may be). If I were the pious sort, I don't think I'd risk trying to try outsmart my god. It'd be funny if they all get to the pearly gates and Saint Peter tells them all to fuck off because of it.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 03:21:44 PMApparently some of it (in the West at least) is related to the Catholic thing of you not been allowed to eat 'meat' on Friday's but fish traditionally being ok.

Meat = Animal
Fish != Meat

Did I read somewhere that 'fish' (for the purposes of liturgical diet) included things like puffin, alligator and beaver?

I've heard stories of English people in France trying to explain that they don't eat meat, but not having the confidence to assume that saying 'Vegetarienne' will get the desired result, but seeing the phrase 'sans viandes' in the little book, and being dismayed to be offered a dish containing chicken. "Oui, sans viandes..." *shrug*

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 14, 2022, 03:34:32 PMIt seems kind of faithless to come up with a loophole to what is a perfectly unambiguous rule (arbitrary as it may be). If I were the pious sort, I don't think I'd risk trying to try outsmart my god. It'd be funny if they all get to the pearly gates and Saint Peter tells them all to fuck off because of it.

Wait until you hear about the one about being able to do as much bad as you like so long as you remember to say sorry before you die.

No joke a rather strict (but kind of terrible at actually doing the 'good person' stuff the bible commands) friend interpreted this as he should do it fairly regularly just in case he gets hit by a bus or something.

seepage

What's stranger about my OP is that now most eateries that perhaps offer only one veggie option will make sure it's vegan.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 14, 2022, 03:22:09 PMTo be fair how do you know they don't know the difference? Maybe they just can't be bothered to explain to you, an uninvolved bystander, precisely why they haven't chosen what you would have picked for them off a menu.

Are you telling me they wouldn't have appreciated the Slaughter's Special with dripping on the side?  I find that highly - HIGHLY - unlikely.

bgmnts

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 14, 2022, 03:39:59 PMI've heard stories of English people in France trying to explain that they don't eat meat, but not having the confidence to assume that saying 'Vegetarienne' will get the desired result, but seeing the phrase 'sans viandes' in the little book, and being dismayed to be offered a dish containing chicken. "Oui, sans viandes..." *shrug*

Sort of happened to me in Morocco. Went to a cafe and asked for vegetarian and they didn't understand so said sans viande and got chicken on my little pizza. Lovely stuff.

Also went up to the waiter in a different cafe to ask for the bill and five minutes later he arrived with more tea, my French friend said that it sounded like I said un autre instead of le note. Presumably the wrong word for bill as in the bill at a restaurant but fuck it google translate is best we got.

gilbertharding

Quote from: seepage on January 14, 2022, 03:51:51 PMWhat's stranger about my OP is that now most eateries that perhaps offer only one veggie option will make sure it's vegan.

That's fine.

EG my wife (who is a pescatarian, I suppose) can not eat a thing if it turns out to have cream and garlic in it. It makes her ill. Nausea, pukesville... Worse - if she eats something which turns out to have garlic in it, she can't then have dessert if it's got cream in. And explaining this to waiters who then have to go to the kitchen to check if the nice main course has any garlic in it whatsoever is too boring so we either don't bother eating out anywhere or else only go to the same places where she either has the same thing every time and no pudding or zzzzzZZZ.

Neville Chamberlain

At an Indian restaurant in Newquay a few years ago, an oldish fellow on a nearby table spent the whole evening loudly mansplaining things to his wife in a thick Cornish accent. It was all largely boring drivel, but I did almost snort my jalfrezi out of my nose at these words: '...and then you've got those vegans - they can't even eat fish!'

I often wonder what became of that poor, deeply confused old sod :-(

Buelligan

He wrote some cookery books.

Gurke and Hare

I went to a Korean BBQ restaurant once that had prawn dishes marked as vegetarian.

Do all institutional canteens still serve fish on Friday lunchtime?

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 14, 2022, 09:06:27 PMI went to a Korean BBQ restaurant once that had prawn dishes marked as vegetarian.

Do all institutional canteens still serve fish on Friday lunchtime?

From my limited experience the ones that don't are the ones that are consistently good enough they're most deserving of a 'fuck it, it's friday' day.

Kankurette

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on January 14, 2022, 02:47:05 PMTo be fair, there are still loads of self-proclaimed vegetarians out there that don't understand the difference between vegetarian and pescetarian.  Amazingly I know two, and they are both old enough to know better.  You give up explaining it after the third or fourth attempt, whilst they're tucking into their fish supper.
I am pescatarian but a friend kept insisting pescatarian wasn't a real thing and that I was a veggie, even though I tried to point out that I couldn't call myself a veggie if I ate fish, since fish are dead animals.

Sebastian Cobb

I had a mate who tried to claim he was veggie because he only eat 'poultry', in reality he was a fussy eater who had basically bullied his mum into serving him chicken dippers, chips and peas every night.

8, he was

falafel

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 14, 2022, 03:39:59 PMDid I read somewhere that 'fish' (for the purposes of liturgical diet) included things like puffin, alligator and beaver?

I've heard stories of English people in France trying to explain that they don't eat meat, but not having the confidence to assume that saying 'Vegetarienne' will get the desired result, but seeing the phrase 'sans viandes' in the little book, and being dismayed to be offered a dish containing chicken. "Oui, sans viandes..." *shrug*

Or indeed foie gras, or a nice duck gizzard salad, which I'm sure would delight.

Pijlstaart

Went to a funeral today to watch grandpa the funny corpse get burned like a witch. We all had lots of fun, but when it was time for tea everyone else got to eat off a plate like an adult and I had to eat from a box of sadness, a startlingly bereft lettuce and tomato sandwich and a bone-dry creamless scone, the reduce rather than replace mantra winning the day. Fussy fusspot fuck off to london fusspot fussy fussy, they all said, pulling me shrieking from the cot, gathered egg-shaped cousins hawking up chunks of dead goodness to spit-feed our fading maestro, but I am resolute. It never happens in London.

TrenterPercenter

Had some Sainsbury's "Plant Pioneers" stuff this evening some hot & spicy goujons which I think were jackfruit and mushroom and buffalo NO wings which were seitan and mushroom.

Both decent enough; nothing like the chicken they were meant to emulate but the were tasty enough covered in hot sauce.

I've gone off meat cos I don't like it, but still eat fish. Before anyone has a go, I don't give this situation a name.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 14, 2022, 11:01:14 PMHad some Sainsbury's "Plant Pioneers" stuff this evening some hot & spicy goujons which I think were jackfruit and mushroom and buffalo NO wings which were seitan and mushroom.

Both decent enough; nothing like the chicken they were meant to emulate but the were tasty enough covered in hot sauce.

Got well into jackfruit and then the local stores stopped selling them so stopped bothering.

I've improved several chicken curries by using paneer, genuinely like them more because of it.

bgmnts

Would suggest getting Richmond vegan sausages and you're done.

Scramble some tofu and put some turmeric and paprika and stuff in it and you got a nice breakfast going.

TrenterPercenter

Yeah paneer is great use it a lot.

The thing is with some of the new veggie like meat stuff is the prices seem excessive almost as though they have pitched to be "exclusive" - the Saino's own brand stuff isn't too badly priced but some of the branded stuff can be silly money. I wonder if it is perhaps to make it equivalent to meat in price also.

Doing a veggie chilli with all the trimmins on Sunday.