Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:47:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Boris Johnson - Time Running out?

Started by Alberon, December 09, 2021, 01:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Buelligan on January 14, 2022, 12:41:45 PMLike, that's what's really important to think about in this circumstance.

All the people laundering May wanted her to win in 2017, especially the Labour ones.

the Fallen

May lost backing due to Brexit whereas Johnson was get it done

Hope that plays into him going. It's done. Lose that AND the public and what exactly is he but a liability?

Sebastian Cobb

I'm not sure there's much value in him going really, he'll be replaced by someone seen as less of a liability the tories will launder themselves and win another election. If he stays he might be come so unpopular that Labour might win (probably not) but they're setting themselves up to be the Tory B-Team and it worries me they'll do just enough that people consider them good enough while blocking further progress.

Basically you can't win for losing.

idunnosomename

James Slack was the massively pro-May Mail editor, with the NEW IRON LADY, ENEMIES OF THE PEOPLE and CRUSH THE SABOTEURS

between him and Nick Timothy, little more illustrates the revolving door between government and press better.

Thing is if someone like Crobs got in, he'd shut the door immediately and all UK media would collapse. Hence why you'll never hear analysis like this on the BBC.

Zetetic

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 02:04:53 PMIf he stays he might be come so unpopular that Labour might win (probably not) but they're setting themselves up to be the Tory B-Team and it worries me they'll do just enough that people consider them good enough while blocking further progress.

Basically you can't win for losing.
We could do with as unpopular a Westminster government as possible in the context of the Police/PCSC Bill etc., I think - simply so that there's a bit more sympathy with protesters by default.

I'd also rather someone extremely unpleasant but somewhat chaotic, lazy and of limited vision over someone extremely unpleasant but more determined and organised.

Zetetic

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 02:17:28 PMThing is if someone like Crobs got in, he'd shut the door immediately
I think this underestimates the extent to which it's a disease of the Civil Service at this point as much as it's about SPADs/political appointments.

Fambo Number Mive

From the political editor at The Times

Quote@Steven_Swinford
Exclusive:

Sue Gray's inquiry not expected to find evidence of criminality over No 10 parties

But she is considering censuring PM for his lack of judgement

She will castigate No 10 drinking culture

Aides & officials will face disciplinary proceedings

idunnosomename

Quote from: Zetetic on January 14, 2022, 02:21:55 PMI think this underestimates the extent to which it's a disease of the Civil Service at this point as much as it's about SPADs/political appointments.
journalists don't really have civil service careers though do they? I mean the prime minister is a journalist, so is gove.

Just heard a bit of BBC punditry where two guys are like "hmm how long will this go on, what will make it stick?" and they never EVER say "well Kent, it depends if the newspapers keep banging on about it, because all we really do is read their front pages out".

Zetetic

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 05:55:59 PMjournalists don't really have civil service careers though do they
Slack had a Civil Service appointment before he had a SPAD post, didn't he?

(And more broadly, it's becoming clear that Civil Servants were partying alongside the rest.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 14, 2022, 05:55:59 PMjournalists don't really have civil service careers though do they? I mean the prime minister is a journalist, so is gove.

Just heard a bit of BBC punditry where two guys are like "hmm how long will this go on, what will make it stick?" and they never EVER say "well Kent, it depends if the newspapers keep banging on about it, because all we really do is read their front pages out".

Maybe not civil servants, as they tend to transcend governments and have their own problems, but they can become whatever it was Allegra Stratton was.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Zetetic on January 14, 2022, 06:01:02 PMSlack had a Civil Service appointment before he had a SPAD post, didn't he?

(And more broadly, it's becoming clear that Civil Servants were partying alongside the rest.)
i dont think so. He was writing for the Mail from 2011. Always sticking the boot in Cameron it seems

I cant even find how old he is though, or literally anything about him before that. Funny huh

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 01:19:18 PMAll the people laundering May wanted her to win in 2017, especially the Labour ones.

fuckin hell it's just a tweet pointing out how much more of an arse Johnson is not an approval of May.  I seem to remember Phillips was pretty scathing of May when she was in office - didn't she say she wasn't very human or something pretty brutal and held her responsible for Windrush (which is true) when they were trying to get Amber Rudd to take the flak for it all.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 14, 2022, 06:27:51 PMfuckin hell it's just a tweet saying pointing out how much more of an arse Johnson is not an approval of May.  I seem to remember Phillips was pretty scathing of May when she was in office - didn't she say she wasn't very human or something pretty brutal and called her responsible for Windrush (which is true) when they were trying to get Amber Rudd to take the flak for it all.

she was dancing when labour lost in 2019. She wanted them to lose.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 06:30:25 PMshe was dancing when labour lost in 2019. She wanted them to lose.

What are you talking about dancing?! She wasn't in the Kinnock thing

You mean the skawkbox video where they replay her laughing at something just before getting on camera that they then replayed ,again and again, like some conspiracy video. 

This thing? Oh right yeah absolutely all the evidence you need and Corbyn should be arrested for groping Thornberry's tit.

https://skwawkbox.org/2019/12/15/video-devastated-jess-phillips-reaction-as-election-night-disaster-unfolded-and-she-hopes-to-be-labour-leader/

Sebastian Cobb

I'm really not interested in being a vehicle for you to white knight a self-interested shit-awful politician trenter.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 06:37:49 PMI'm really not interested in being a vehicle for you to white knight a self-interested shit-awful politician trenter.

"She was dancing at Labour losing the election"
"No she wasn't here is video evidence"
"I do not care to discuss this matter anymore"

You love Jess Phillips and want to marry her, I am absolutely a mature serious adult.

Just to be clear I'm not interested in discussing either.

Sebastian Cobb

Chalk it up to a win if you want, saves me reading the inevitable walls of text that would follow.

pigamus

No fan of Phillips but Trenter's right. Far less flimsy shit to attack her for.

mothman

Sorry Trenter but you're on a hiding to nothing here, Jess Phillips is easily a top-ten all-time CaB hate figure, maybe even top five. ;-)

chveik

are jess is deffo the type that would go to illegal parties

Gurke and Hare

In terms of what difference it would make if he went, are there any of the possible replacements that are known not to like Patel? Because that alone would be worth it. Or even might rein her in a bit, as I'm 100% sure Johnson takes no interest in what any cabinet minister does (other than probably having to get involved with covid stuff) and just lets them get on with it.

Butchers Blind

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: chveik on January 14, 2022, 08:51:59 PMare jess is deffo the type that would go to illegal parties

not the legitimately good kind though

chveik

yeah forgot to add "during lockdown"

greencalx

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on January 14, 2022, 09:11:56 PMIn terms of what difference it would make if he went, are there any of the possible replacements that are known not to like Patel? Because that alone would be worth it. Or even might rein her in a bit, as I'm 100% sure Johnson takes no interest in what any cabinet minister does (other than probably having to get involved with covid stuff) and just lets them get on with it.

My worry is that the replacement is Patel.

jobotic

Nah the membership wouldn't vote for her. And they blame her for not having "control"  of the channel.

Blumf

Cuellar

I'd absolutely sort of cry my eyes out

bgmnts

Got an image of him currently being strapped to a chair with his arse out and a queue of ministers behind him who are, i  can only say, bumming him into oblivion.