Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:52:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais's After Life series 3 [split topic]

Started by Cursus, July 23, 2020, 09:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsWarboysLover

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on January 15, 2022, 02:14:17 AMOne small laugh for Tim Key and that's it.

Oh no, now I have to watch it. I didn't know he was in it.

I haven't seen any of it, but I'm curious, without having to watch it - in what way is Tony kind? I've seen the trailers and it looks like it's him effing and jeffing at people, yes, that's his grief acting up, let's give him a free pass, I get it.
But does he actually do any kind acts? Like he does end up baking a cake for the ginger kid, or ruffling his hair and saying "you can be anything you want when you grow up"? Does he do anything to show the heart of gold underneath the curmudgeonly exterior? I assume the kindness monologues are prompted by something

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on January 15, 2022, 06:54:04 AMOh no, now I have to watch it. I didn't know he was in it.

I haven't seen any of it, but I'm curious, without having to watch it - in what way is Tony kind? I've seen the trailers and it looks like it's him effing and jeffing at people, yes, that's his grief acting up, let's give him a free pass, I get it.
But does he actually do any kind acts? Like he does end up baking a cake for the ginger kid, or ruffling his hair and saying "you can be anything you want when you grow up"? Does he do anything to show the heart of gold underneath the curmudgeonly exterior? I assume the kindness monologues are prompted by something

Key in one small scene as Diane Morgan's date. The writing obviously nothing special, but Keys performance is as enjoyable as usual.

No, doesn't do one kind thing in 5 and a half episodes. Then meets a baldy cancer kiddy and that prompts our hero to be kiiiiiind.......for an hour.

MrsWarboysLover

you get more bonus points for being kind to children, or people with cancer, so that's probably why it's the only kind thing he needs to do

maybe if the fat ginger kid had cancer tony would be kind  to him too

i'm glad key isn't a recurring character, I'll just try and find his scene

He's absolutely pissed out of his head. That's not acting. He's shitfaced.

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on January 15, 2022, 07:10:27 AMi'm glad key isn't a recurring character, I'll just try and find his scene

Episode 4, bout 15 mins in.

I think I'm on episode 2 now. It's so weirdly depressing.

Couple of big laughs in the first episode when I thought "what the fuck haha"

Now it's just 'Jam'. But not funny.

Dr Rock

I like how two not tough looking MRA types can go round bullying the whole town until a gypsy punches their heads in.

I wonder if anyone says to eachother it's shit, in the canteen, while Ricky is in his helicopter?

They must do.

idunnosomename

Actors must know how poor the script is. Even if they've only worked on Doctors or something

olliebean

This being the final series, I'm going to watch it in the assumption that Gervais dies at the end, and if he doesn't, I'm putting a fucking pot plant through the telly.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Excellent_Biscuits on January 15, 2022, 08:11:55 AMNow it's just 'Jam'. But not funny.

Oh FFS, you're all making it sound so bizarre that I'm going to end up watching it and hating myself for it.

Might put it on as background noise while I'm cooking dinner later just so I can tell myself I've been productive and Gervais hasn't just stolen three hours of my life.

Blue Jam

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on January 15, 2022, 07:10:27 AMyou get more bonus points for being kind to children, or people with cancer, so that's probably why it's the only kind thing he needs to do

Why did Cancer Kiddy induce an attack of Kindness in Tony while Cancer Wife's cancer just made him mean and angry? Does cancer only lead to Kindness if the patient is under 10?

EDIT: Oh gawd I've just had a horrible vision of Gervais starring as Walter White in a British remake of Breaking Bad. With Karl Pilkington as Jesse Pinkman.

That fete finale was boring, the whole season is so lazy I can barely remember anything that happened.

Blue Jam

Do village fetes translate across the pond?

Also did the fete look weirdly inauthentic? Like the entire nameless English town this is set in?

Dr Rock

Quote from: olliebean on January 15, 2022, 10:45:13 AMThis being the final series, I'm going to watch it in the assumption that Gervais dies at the end, and if he doesn't, I'm putting a fucking pot plant through the telly.

Your telly will be safe

Dr Rock

The end - spoilers - implies that soon after Tony sees himself as the new Jesus he goes mental and sees visions of his dead wife. This ultimately leads to him killing his dog, before hanging himself.

Mr Farenheit

Watched it all on 1.5x speed, hitting the skip button through the montages and quite a few other bits.

The biggest problem is that it's boring for most of the time. Not as boring as the second series which was really bad, I think because Ricky's character didn't actually do anything, so all the outlandish behaviour was left to other characters rather than him, unlike the first series.

Spoiler alert
He's a bit more active this series throwing out the C-word, and giving us some (often violent) anti-social behaviour- all directed at people who don't deserve it. At least there was something new this series: the whole Ricky being great at sports stuff. I thought that was fantastic... the vanity of writing it, the tedious repetition of it- one episode after another with a different racket sport, the fact that he was so ungracious and arrogant with it (which we're supposed to hate when the 'bad' guys do it at penalties), the fact that he makes disgusting noises, deliberately belching loudly in his opponent's face (when we're supposed to love him calling out other people for inadvertently making noises), and... the fucking heart attack and almost instant recovery back to full health.
[close]

It's obviously terrible but I love that something like this can be made- millions spent on one guy just writing a TV series with seemingly no idea of the fundamentals of how to do so, no second draft (I'm guessing), no one to tell him when something might not work... I just wish it had been more weird and less boring.

Blue Jam

Yeah, if I was a writer with Gervais's clout and financial backing I'd use my imagination and be a bit more ambitious and turn in something mental. Like Michael Flatley doing Blackbird.

dead-ced-dead

I got to episode four last night and just couldn't hack it anymore. He treats Ashley Jensen (as well as everyone else) like total shit, I just don't get why she keeps trying.

I've been re-watching New Girl, and even though they're totally different shows, they make good comparisons, because Nick Miller (as played wonderfully by Jake Johnson) is a similarly crotchety, grouchy curmudgeon; but he has such palpable chemistry with his romantic co-lead Zooey Deschanel and Nick's sweet, caring moments far outweigh his grouchy moments when it comes to the things that really matter.

It's not even a character type that's that rare, the sweet-grump, so it's not like the writers of New Girl are doing anything daring or radical; it's a pretty tradition, post-Friends flatshare sitcom. So for Gervais to fuck it up so badly until (I hear, I haven't gotten to episode 5) the introduction of cancer kid is just bad writing.

wrec

I did a Twitter search to see if anyone I was following was praising it or him in general. There was only one, who ironically is recovering from cancer. Unfollowed.

(PS it was someone I followed for a political thing years ago, who didn't follow or ever engage with me and won't even notice. I'm not a monster!)

Curious as to what actually happens in the end and don't want to subject myself to a hatewatch. Can someone do a detailed spoiler?

gotmilk

Dr Rock

dead-ced-dead

I think it's because the link doesn't end with .jpg

Imgur is a pain in the arse for that, but I think if you click Share on a Desktop one of the link options should end in .jpg

idunnosomename

It originates in the Roman military, Gervais you thick ignorant twat, and has been used in drilled armies modelled on it (like, all of them in Europe)

That's not even a naval salute, which is performed with the palm down.

paruses

Am 8 minutes in and it's very boring. Not sure if this has been mentioned yet but the reading by the self-published author is very close to how all of Gervais' work comes across. I love it when Tony asks her a question about plot detail and she just shrugs it off saying "haven't thought about it. Doesn't matter". He really has put a lot of himself into that character.