Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:24:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

David Baddiel to tell us about online abuse

Started by Famous Mortimer, August 02, 2021, 05:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. logic

I remember on Unplanned once he told a story about Neil Morrisery telling him to lay off the Amanda Holden jokes because it was upsetting Les Dennis. To which he replied, 'You're the one shagging his wife.'

So he gets asked to stopped joking about something because it's hurting somebody and then jokes (unfunnily) about it live on ITV.

Top man.

MrsWarboysLover

That's vile. That, and the story about the school spanner make me think a lot worse of him. To some degree you can separate the politics from the person and I just assumed he was kind of a befuddled idiot, but now I see he's quite nasty even on a personal level.

poodlefaker

Apols if it's been mentioned already, but I've just remembered that film Baddiel made years ago with Omid Djallili playing a muslim who finds out he's actually jewish. Or vice versa; either way Djallili is neither. But he has also played Fagin, obv.

DrGreggles

Omid is always cast as 'generic foreign man' - like Art Malik used to be.

Sebastian Cobb

Does Omid still spend the first 10 minutes of his stand-up running around while doing an over-the-top Iranian accent before announcing he can't keep it up 'any more'. You've managed to keep that bit in your act the for long enough mate. 

petril

The Rankings Experience:
1. Rob NEWMAN
2= Steve PUNT
2= Hugh DENNIS
4. David BADDIEL

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 13, 2022, 10:18:09 PMDoes Omid still spend the first 10 minutes of his stand-up running around while doing an over-the-top Iranian accent before announcing he can't keep it up 'any more'. You've managed to keep that bit in your act the for long enough mate. 

Omid's act has always been rubbish, part ripping off Alexei Sayle, part ripping off Harry Hill and part telling crap jokes he probably got from a particularly unambitious box of Christmas crackers. Still funnier than David " Maureen Lipman read my book, so she knows what she's talking about" Baddiel, mind you.

poodlefaker

I've also remembered that Baddiel adapted the crappy film into a crappier musical, which was never produced, but he still included one of its songs in his Desert Island Discs (along w/3 Lions, obv.)

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 14, 2022, 07:47:30 AMI've also remembered that Baddiel adapted the crappy film into a crappier musical, which was never produced, but he still included one of its songs in his Desert Island Discs (along w/3 Lions, obv.)

Fucking hell.

petril

Quote from: Lisa Jesusandmarychain on January 14, 2022, 07:40:38 AMOmid's act has always been rubbish, part ripping off Alexei Sayle, part ripping off Harry Hill and part telling crap jokes he probably got from a particularly unambitious box of Christmas crackers. Still funnier than David " Maureen Lipman read my book, so she knows what she's talking about" Baddiel, mind you.

he got quite far about doing all the Iranian material Shappi Korsandi wasn't doing tbf

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: petril on January 14, 2022, 09:09:57 AMhe got quite far about doing all the Iranian material Shappi Korsandi wasn't doing tbf

Ironically, Shappi Korsandi bears a striking resemblance to a younger, more attractive ( and more Iranian) version of Maureen Lipman.

Ferris

Quote from: poodlefaker on January 14, 2022, 07:47:30 AMI've also remembered that Baddiel adapted the crappy film into a crappier musical, which was never produced, but he still included one of its songs in his Desert Island Discs (along w/3 Lions, obv.)

Including 2 of his own songs on desert island discs is the most David Baddiel thing I've ever heard.

idunnosomename

Don't forget his daughter singing Your Song to top it off

Ferris

That's more understandable - everyone loves their kids* so it's a bit of a cheat but ok. Only an utter egomaniac would include copies of their own songs to listen to at the expense of literally everything else. As someone who has made a couple of records, you couldn't pay me to listen to my own stuff because you hear it a billion times dissected into every possible iteration in the studio. It's painful.

Anyway.

*Unrelatedly, my son has started saying "daddy I like you!" but he "loves" his hotwheels cars which I find deeply amusing.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Ferris on January 14, 2022, 03:18:04 PMmy son has started saying "daddy I like you!" but he "loves" his hotwheels cars
Anyway.
Chin the little cunt, and send David Baddiel the bill

gilbertharding

Quote from: mr. logic on January 12, 2022, 08:42:42 PM'You're the one shagging his wife.'

Hang about - that's pretty funny, isn't it?

Laughing at Les Dennis/Amanda Holden/Neil Morrissey isn't punching down, is it?

Anyway - Engelbert Humperdinck chose his autobiography as his book on DID. Norman Wisdom chose five of his own records. All eight chosen by John Lee Hooker were his own.

poodlefaker

Quote from: Ferris on January 14, 2022, 03:18:04 PMOnly an utter egomaniac would include copies of their own songs to listen to at the expense of literally everything else.
Esp. if it's Three Lions: that;s like Noddy Holder taking Merry Xmas Everybody.

Ray Travez

Quote from: Ferris on January 14, 2022, 03:18:04 PM*Unrelatedly, my son has started saying "daddy I like you!" but he "loves" his hotwheels cars which I find deeply amusing.

Reminds me of this exchange between Frankie Boyle and his son

-Daddy, what's your favourite thing in the whole world?

-why, of course it's you, son!

-for me it's sausages

idunnosomename

Quote from: Ferris on January 14, 2022, 03:18:04 PMThat's more understandable - everyone loves their kids* so it's a bit of a cheat but ok. Only an utter egomaniac would include copies of their own songs to listen to at the expense of literally everything else. As someone who has made a couple of records, you couldn't pay me to listen to my own stuff because you hear it a billion times dissected into every possible iteration in the studio. It's painful.

Anyway.

*Unrelatedly, my son has started saying "daddy I like you!" but he "loves" his hotwheels cars which I find deeply amusing.
i was thinking of cutting him a bit of slack on that but then who else has done it. You're not really going to a fucking desert island, you choose songs to represent you as a person. To be fair he did that perfectly.

Also it's possible he's never even listened to Three Lions properly. Clearly didnt put much effort into his verse

Brundle-Fly

People here do realise that DID guests aren't actually marooned alone on a desert island with a working music centre?

idunnosomename

The BBC really go hard on the pretending though. It's like fucking Playschool

Ray Travez

I'm just surprised he didn't pick "Three Lions" and "Three Lions '98" as two of his songs

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 14, 2022, 05:44:45 PMPeople here do realise that DID guests aren't actually marooned alone on a desert island with a working music centre?

be much better if they were.

wrec

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 14, 2022, 03:30:34 PMAll eight chosen by John Lee Hooker were his own.

John Lee Hooker made John Lee Hooker records. David Baddiel made Three fucking Lions.

Admittedly there's a certain brand of hyper-successful musician that doesn't engage with other music or hasn't listened to anything new since their teens. With the examples you mentioned there was probably an old school instinct not to promote someone else when they could promote themselves, which is obnoxious but at least commensurate with their status. Hard not to see Baddiel doing that as an example of his utter lack of curiosity in preference to listening to himself.

jobotic

Brundle-Fly

MrsWarboysLover

He's a true renaissance man. Actor, comedian, singer  songwriter, glasses-microwaver. The man can do it all.
I bet he's even deluded himself into thinking he's handsome. I've no idea where he gets his self belief from

Endicott

Pimhole

Quote from: MrsWarboysLover on January 15, 2022, 07:04:38 AMI bet he's even deluded himself into thinking he's handsome. I've no idea where he gets his self belief from

If Morwenna Banks would do a sex with me, even just one time, my self-belief would be through the fucking roof.

Fabian Thomsett

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 14, 2022, 05:44:45 PMPeople here do realise that DID guests aren't actually marooned alone on a desert island with a working music centre?

That reminds me - Nick Hornby chose an iPod as his luxury item when he went on the show 2003. Had to explain to Sue Lawley what it was.