Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 09:00:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

RIP Ronnie Spector

Started by Lisa Jesusandmarychain, January 12, 2022, 10:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Passed away after a short battle with cancer at the age of 78, almost a year to the day after the slightly less saddening passing of her ex- husband. RIP, sweet former Ronnette.

the science eel

dissolute ocelot

Very sad. I saw her singing a few years ago at the Arches in Glasgow, and the likes of Walking In The Rain were wonderfully emotional. Let's forget about that dude with the frizzy hair.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 12, 2022, 10:30:13 PMLet's forget about that convicted murderer with the fucking stupid wigs.

FTFY.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Such an amazing voice. And she was just innately cool AF. Her version of Johnny Thunders' You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory is definitive.

Sebastian Cobb

Fuck's sake that's sad! I only saw her a couple of years ago.

Custard

An absolute icon, legend, great. She (and indeed the other Ronettes) were fucking brilliant

RIP

Kankurette

Aw, no. I'm going to have to listen to Be My Baby now.

Keebleman

She looks HaF here, with a couple of latter-day Ronettes.

From now on Harvey Keitel's head hitting the pillow will no longer be the first thing I think of when I hear that song.

Keebleman

She has an interesting cameo in Craig Brown's Beatle book One Two Three Four.  She first met the Beatles in London in 1963, then saw them again the next year when they arrived in triumph in New York.  She was in their hotel suite chatting in private with Lennon - her favourite - when there was some commotion in an adjoining room.  Lennon and she went to have a look.  A crowd was gathered around a bed, and when Lennon and Ronnie pushed their way through they saw a member of the band's entourage (not named) fucking a woman in an ambitious variety of positions.  Ronnie, still a virgin even though she and Phil Spector were an item, was literally stunned.  She knew the basics of intercourse but had no idea about the possible variations on the theme.

PeterCornelius

Keith Richards speaks very warmly of her in his autobiography. Seeing the archive clips, I was reminded how heart-stoppingly beautiful she was.

the science eel

Quote from: PeterCornelius on January 15, 2022, 11:11:04 AMKeith Richards speaks very warmly of her in his autobiography. Seeing the archive clips, I was reminded how heart-stoppingly beautiful she was.

did you see the BBC Four thing last night? she was SO fucking cool!

I had tears in my eyes through most of it. That voice, of course, but there was something in her manner, 'street' but with an eagerness that always came through.

PeterCornelius

Quote from: the science eel on January 15, 2022, 11:25:01 AMdid you see the BBC Four thing last night? she was SO fucking cool!

I had tears in my eyes through most of it. That voice, of course, but there was something in her manner, 'street' but with an eagerness that always came through.

Damn, I didn't. Thanks for the heads-up, will look for it on catch=up.