Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:48:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Curb Season 11

Started by Mobbd, October 22, 2021, 01:41:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Yeah, I'm the same. Even if I'm not particularly finding the series funny or the running plots interesting, it's just nice to spend time in that carefree, suns always shining world and see the characters interacting.

beanheadmcginty

JB Smoove is in the new Spiderman film for all of 30 seconds and doesn't say anything particularly funny or Leon-like, yet I found myself chuckling away at his presence simply in the knowledge that he is chock full of potential Leon that could appear at any moment.

peanutbutter

I've kinda viewed all the post-New York seasons as a separate thing tbh, there was that massive gap and it has since felt far more like a bunch of pals just messing about. Find it hard to be especially critical even if the episodes are generally a lot weaker than earlier seasons wheras I can remember actively hating the NY season.

Replies From View

Kind of a shame season 7 ends on that cliffhanger into 8, as it makes it harder to draw a line before the quality dives.

Same as you get with the end of series 6 of Red Dwarf.

Replies From View

Wrapped things up nicely, I thought.

the science eel

Is that honestly what you were looking for?

Blue Jam

Ted Danson au naturel, brave.

Replies From View

the science eel

I haven't seen it yet. I just want BIG LAUGHS

Replies From View

Okay, well I think it's a strong episode, but there have been lots of aspects of season 11 I've liked.

Replies From View

The story resolution and various other choices (eg taking shoes from the museum) were quite predictable as they unfolded, but I think it was all handled deftly, and other details (the roped-off chair and everyone's response to it, Ted Danson's bald head, Larry's growing anger being asked about tea while he was on his mission, and the final scene ending in the pool), all great stuff.

Sometimes you get a season where things go his way, like season 4, and for a while it did feel like things would work out for Larry this time.  But is it me or do his choices these days make him increasingly hard to like?  By the end of the episode I wasn't rooting for him at all.

Replies From View

I quite like it that, if they never make any more Curb, we can suppose that Larry died at the end.

After all, it would be typical for Larry to not benefit from the law makers' decision in any way.

dr beat

Quote from: Replies From View on December 28, 2021, 10:21:09 AMThe story resolution and various other choices (eg taking shoes from the museum) were quite predictable as they unfolded, but I think it was all handled deftly, and other details (the roped-off chair and everyone's response to it, Ted Danson's bald head, Larry's growing anger being asked about tea while he was on his mission, and the final scene ending in the pool), all great stuff.

Sometimes you get a season where things go his way, like season 4, and for a while it did feel like things would work out for Larry this time.  But is it me or do his choices these days make him increasingly hard to like?  By the end of the episode I wasn't rooting for him at all.

Yes, good finale, and also yes wasn't on Larry's side at all.

Re: my previous post, while I expected the destination, the journey there was - indeed -
Spoiler alert
good.
[close]

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Replies From View on December 28, 2021, 10:21:09 AMBut is it me or do his choices these days make him increasingly hard to like?  By the end of the episode I wasn't rooting for him at all.

That's why I haven't rewatched much latter-day Curb, his anger at stuff used to be so natural and stuff you could relate to and you were usually on his side, now the situations are starting to feel a bit forced and he just comes across as a prick instead. Was it last season where he knocked someone's selfie stick out of their hand? That kind of thing is very un-Curb and un-Larry like for me. But then things like this season where Jeff and Larry are at dinner and taking the piss out of Susie's insistence on looking at her, Jeff is the meek husband, he'd never say shit like that to Susie, especially in public, that sticks out to me too. Just feels like Larry ran out of ideas in his notebook for the original concept of Curb and the show started to change a little. Not that the later Curb seasons have been total toilet or anything but the earlier seasons are definitely the stronger ones because he's more likeable.

Replies From View

Their selfie stick was in his way, so without breaking his stride he grabbed their stick, snapped it neatly in half for them, and returned it.

poodlefaker

I liked Irma - it was great to see LD with a woman who's more of a character, and not just there to frown at him and say "Why would you do that Larry?"

Mr. Ssmsslth

Quote from: Replies From View on December 26, 2021, 05:55:19 PMKind of a shame season 7 ends on that cliffhanger into 8, as it makes it harder to draw a line before the quality dives.

I disagree, that cliffhanger would have been the perfect ending to the entire series.

Replies From View

Quote from: Mr. Ssmsslth on January 16, 2022, 07:51:45 PMI disagree, that cliffhanger would have been the perfect ending to the entire series.

Fair point.

Malcy

wrec

Quite funny as these things go, enjoyed the walkman bit. Presume Larry isn't a passionate crypto bro, and can only assume he's doing a favour to someone involved in the campaign as he hardly needs the money.

Old Nehamkin

The first episode of the next season should involve everyone getting mad at Larry for doing a crypto advert.

Malcy

Larry David pulled his 2-part HBO documentary hours before it was due to be broadcast the other day. Lots of comments to disappointed people saying they should have respect as his step-dad had taken ill!

Apparently he wants to do it in front of a live audience instead now. No update on when it will be out though.

EOLAN

Took me a while to realise that that was real rather than a callback joke to the original special. Where a (mock) documentary was made out of Larry dropping out of doing a live show.

Replies From View

There was an episode where his mum died as well and he realised he could use it to gain sympathy and not do little favours for people.

It's funny how Curb has used up all his potential real excuses/explanations so that he now seems to be constantly bullshitting.

Virgo76

Quick question. Why is it called Curb Your Enthusiasm?
I've never been sure.

Mobbd

Al
Quote from: Virgo76 on March 05, 2022, 01:10:52 PMQuick question. Why is it called Curb Your Enthusiasm?
I've never been sure.

I always felt it was Larry's overriding attitude to life. Just wishing everyone would calm the fuck down. He's a brusk New Yorker in phoney LA.

BeardFaceMan

I always thought it was something to do with the expectations of 'this is the next thihg from the creator of Seinfeld!' and that was his way of saying 'well, calm down, this isn't like Seinfeld'.

Kelvin

He's talked about it in interviews. I can't remember exactly how he phrases it, but it's effectively because he doesn't like people who are very in your face, especially emotionally. He thought it was a good fit for a show about social etiquette.

EDIT: I should probably remember this better, as he explained it in two separate interviews I've watched in the last fortnight.

Blue Jam

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on March 05, 2022, 04:20:11 PMI always thought it was something to do with the expectations of 'this is the next thihg from the creator of Seinfeld!' and that was his way of saying 'well, calm down, this isn't like Seinfeld'.

This is the official reason given, according to the book Seinfeldia, aye.