Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:44:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Veggie Option

Started by seepage, January 14, 2022, 02:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2022, 11:13:55 PMWould suggest getting Richmond vegan sausages and you're done.

Scramble some tofu and put some turmeric and paprika and stuff in it and you got a nice breakfast going.

Might actually try that and could see it working.

I like tofu and know it tastes the same but the sponginess doesn't quite work.

bgmnts

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 14, 2022, 11:28:22 PMMight actually try that and could see it working.

I like tofu and know it tastes the same but the sponginess doesn't quite work.

It really does work, albeit i've been vegan for years.

I'll freely admit nothing will ever truly replace the taste and texture combo of eggs and cheese. It's just not the same, but it's fine. But well drained and scrambled tofu is ace, just gotta make sure you cook it right.

Deep fried tofu is ace as well but anything deep fried goes down well. But yeah if you want make a kind of fish finger style thing tofu is a decent filling. My mother tried banana blossom a few times but it's way too stringy and odd tasting.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 14, 2022, 11:25:43 PMThe thing is with some of the new veggie like meat stuff is the prices seem excessive almost as though they have pitched to be "exclusive" - the Saino's own brand stuff isn't too badly priced but some of the branded stuff can be silly money. I wonder if it is perhaps to make it equivalent to meat in price also.

That sort of stuff is more-or-less just tofu and flavouring. If you go down an East-Asian grocers and find something like this, or the chicken version, you'll find something much more tasty and malliable for a fraction of the cost.

The mock duck is great, if you want to do duck pancakes, as a meat eater it's a million times better and easier.

TrenterPercenter

Yeah I'm a fan of the mock duck stuff and used to be at the Chinese supermarkets at least once a month but I've never got anytime now - hence why I'm always at Sainsbury's because it is the closest thing to me.

I might be going Wing Yip soon though so I will stock up.

bgmnts

If anyone is interested they do a mock duck seitan called Mo-Du at a place called The Vegan Kind and I think other shops and it's really fucking nice.

It's brined (I guess?) in a soy sauce as well, it's lush.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Hail seitan!

I think I'd quite happily go veggie, but one of my housemates has gone all Atkins diet and, apparently, that puts a lot of meat substitutes off the menu (we share cooking duties).

Tofu can be nice but it seems to take a fair bit of effort to dry and marinate. I don't much care for it in its flavourless jelly state.

A former housemate was vegan and made loads of nice stuff. They had a strong aversion to Quorn for some reason - it's unnatural, or something like that. I find it pleasant enough. In all its forms.

Veggie mince is good, because whatever you make with it is going to be swimming in sauce anyway, so flavour isn't an issue.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: bgmnts on January 14, 2022, 11:47:56 PMIf anyone is interested they do a mock duck seitan called Mo-Du at a place called The Vegan Kind and I think other shops and it's really fucking nice.

It's brined (I guess?) in a soy sauce as well, it's lush.

Yeah it's the same brand who do the nutritional yeast flakes.  Name escapes me.

Dex Sawash

Dex fans may recall that I'm not eating meat right now. I do occasionally eat seafood as long as it isn't a type that looked really horrorshow when it was still alive or critically overfished like swordfish. We should do a seafood bang/kill/marry thread.

BTW, don't eat swordish you cunts.

shoulders

Occasionally in Eastern Europe 'Meat Free Dishes' on the menu simply means that meat isn't the main item on the plate. It can still feature plenty of meat shards in whatever sauce it is sitting in.

I tried that jackfruit for dinner. I'm not sure what other dishes it would be good in, but does indeed make a decent fake pulled pork. It was a bit overpowered by guacamole and refried beans though - next time I'll have to get twice as much.

No idea whether it's actually nutritionally similar to meat.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 16, 2022, 09:36:30 PMI tried that jackfruit for dinner. I'm not sure what other dishes it would be good in, but does indeed make a decent fake pulled pork. It was a bit overpowered by guacamole and refried beans though - next time I'll have to get twice as much.

No idea whether it's actually nutritionally similar to meat.

It's kind of good in a shawarma recipe, nothing like the real thing but kind of good in itself anyway
https://mygoodnesskitchen.com/vegan-shawarma-roast-jackfruit/

flotemysost

Quote from: shoulders on January 15, 2022, 11:29:50 AMOccasionally in Eastern Europe 'Meat Free Dishes' on the menu simply means that meat isn't the main item on the plate. It can still feature plenty of meat shards in whatever sauce it is sitting in.

On her first holiday since going vegan, my friend got offered liver in Bosnia a few years ago.

Quote from: seepage on January 14, 2022, 03:51:51 PMWhat's stranger about my OP is that now most eateries that perhaps offer only one veggie option will make sure it's vegan.

Yeah I've got a few vegetarian mates who have this gripe, they don't eat meat or fish but aren't averse to a creamy sauce or some fresh egg pasta and don't always want to be stuck with jackfruit or tofu. Though I guess that maybe says more about the quality of the menu, both of those examples can be replicated well enough and it's worse if there's veg but no vegan options so you've got a whole bunch of customers ostracised.

flotemysost

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 15, 2022, 11:22:31 AMWe should do a seafood bang/kill/marry thread.

Well the "bang" option should be obvious.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on January 16, 2022, 10:07:49 PMIt's kind of good in a shawarma recipe, nothing like the real thing but kind of good in itself anyway
https://mygoodnesskitchen.com/vegan-shawarma-roast-jackfruit/
Jackfruit is good in curry or Mexican/Tex-Mex food, especially fake pulled pork, although it tastes of very little. It has mild amounts of protein, similar to cereals, but you won't end up like Arnold Schwartzenegger. Definitely in the "nice for a change" category, but wwe all need a change.

Rev+

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 14, 2022, 03:39:59 PMI've heard stories of English people in France...

France does seem to be a particular bugger for this, even if you're fluent.  'Vegetarian' being interpreted as 'doesn't like looking at meat, so let's just hide it under a layer of something else'.

AllisonSays

I'm a vegetarian but sometimes I'll have fish if I'm in a situation where that seems like the easiest option, particularly if the vegetarian option at a restaurant seems perfunctory and shit. I'm not a pescatarian because I don't habitually eat fish as part of my diet. How does the jury find?

SpiderChrist

Quote from: AllisonSays on January 17, 2022, 08:00:55 AMI'm a vegetarian but sometimes I'll have fish if I'm in a situation where that seems like the easiest option, particularly if the vegetarian option at a restaurant seems perfunctory and shit. I'm not a pescatarian because I don't habitually eat fish as part of my diet. How does the jury find?

Best not describe yourself as a vegetarian if you eat fish. Fish being animals and all that.

Anyway, I don't understand the need for people to put themselves and others in boxes - I follow a vegan diet, but I'm no saint and so have occasional lapses (fewer and fewer of them nowadays, admittedly), which is why I don't describe myself as a vegan.

Cue some smartarse finding one of my posts where I say I'm a vegan.

JaDanketies

Jackfruit is a big nutritional void. I mean I guess it's a portion of vegetables but it isn't the protein substitute you might've thought it is, and it isn't loaded with essential amino acids. I never bother with it after realising it isn't really a helpful part of a balanced diet and is just there for texture.

For scrambled tofu, use Himalayan black salt. You only need to buy it once and it'll last for ages. Gives it that eggy taste.

Another great thing to buy is dry mince. Way cheaper than frozen mince. Just add boiling water. You can put in a stock cube or some curry powder or whatever if you want to be clever. And it'll keep you going when society breaks down.

AllisonSays

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 17, 2022, 10:55:54 AMBest not describe yourself as a vegetarian if you eat fish. Fish being animals and all that.

Anyway, I don't understand the need for people to put themselves and others in boxes - I follow a vegan diet, but I'm no saint and so have occasional lapses (fewer and fewer of them nowadays, admittedly), which is why I don't describe myself as a vegan.

Cue some smartarse finding one of my posts where I say I'm a vegan.

I feel like it's easier and quicker to say 'I'm a vegetarian' than to get into the complicated minutiae of my diet, which in any case is (a) nobody's business but my own and (b) very, very boring. I mean, I agree very much with what you say about boxes, but it feels like that's what you're doing by insisting on the purity of the category rather than allowing it to be just, like, a thing that I am that doesn't need to be policed so scrupulously. In the same way that I might say 'I don't smoke' or 'I used to smoke', even if I occasionally have a cig when I'm drinking with people who have them, I guess.

SpiderChrist

@AllisonSays Apologies - ignore me, I'm in a foul mood

JaDanketies

Quote from: AllisonSays on January 17, 2022, 11:30:11 AMI feel like it's easier and quicker to say 'I'm a vegetarian'

I say "I'm a vegan" because that's how I want people to treat me. If I'd rather eat my son's leftover Dairy Lee instead of chuck it in the dustbin then that's an ethical decision between me, the Dairy Lee and the dustbin. I don't want the guy in the restaurant or my mother-in-law thinking that there are times when I eat meat or dairy based on in-the-moment moral choices and then making those moral choices on my behalf when they make me food.

beanheadmcginty

Jackfruit always sounds to me like it would be full of spunk. Is spunk vegetarian?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 17, 2022, 12:55:54 PMJackfruit always sounds to me like it would be full of spunk. Is spunk vegetarian?

How alike to a plant do sperm behave?

Before my housemate went coocoo for keto, I would describe myself as 90% vegetarian: I was happy not eating meat, but I wouldn't turn it down if someone else was doing the cooking.

I have nothing but contempt for the Jeremy Clarkson types, who call a salad "rabbit food". On the other hand, berating people is obviously not a good way to get them on board with veg(etari)anism. Better to encourage them to phase out animal stuff gradually and see how good food can be without it.

Menu

Quote from: AllisonSays on January 17, 2022, 08:00:55 AMI'm a vegetarian but sometimes I'll have fish if I'm in a situation where that seems like the easiest option, particularly if the vegetarian option at a restaurant seems perfunctory and shit. I'm not a pescatarian because I don't habitually eat fish as part of my diet. How does the jury find?

I think it's fine. Of course it is. We don't all have to go UBERVEGAN to effect quite substantial change in climate change and animal suffering. Even if everyone just cut down on dairy, that would have a huge effect. For me, I've cut out all dairy(easiest thing I've ever done - don't miss milk at all. Almond milk tastes nicer, is far healthier, and far better for the environment and obviously for the poor fucking cows. And it's probably the biggest cut in my carbon footprint I'll ever achieve).

And have nearly cut out all meat. Have two portions of oily fish a week for it's anti-inflammatory benefits but it's either wild salmon from Sainsburys or Abel and Cole mackerel so hopefully sustainable and minimised suffering, although I'm aware it's not fair on the individual fish and may well cut that out too.

But gradual steps are probably better than trying to go full-on immediately. Still have a weekly(approx) takeaway where I'll let myself have anything but even that is getting phased out now too. Eg, had the tofu option from a Chinese and was just as nice as the alternative. Have lost weight significantly after these changes and health has improved. My family have gone along with me too and there have been noticeable health improvements for a couple of them which I think was basically the elimination of dairy.

So for anyone considering going along this route - my advice: Do it gradually but cut out as much dairy as possible cos that's a quick easy win and will probably make you feel better on it's own.

Menu

Should say I'm one of those people who need the 'meat substitutes'. Like most people I was an enthusiastic meat-eater so it just feels more satisfying to have something on the plate that reminds me of the good old days.
I haven't tasted a nice vegan burger though. And the steaks are horrible. But manufacturers have definitely mastered chicken, sausages(well, Richmond ones anyway), mince, sausage rolls (please try the Linda McCartney sausage rolls, they are amazing) and, er, kebab meat(Vivera). Maybe I'll eventually not have the need for this sort of substitute but I couldn't have gone as a far as I have without them.

Would also recommend finding a few sauces that you like as, if the protein isn't quite 10/10, then just smother it sauce. No worries. My go-to sauce for that is Sharwood's Kung Po. Improves anything.

gib

Quote from: Menu on January 18, 2022, 02:58:59 PMI haven't tasted a nice vegan burger though.

The best one is the new McDonalds one.

Menu

Oh really? Will give it a go.

Menu

Was very disappointed with the KFC vegan burger. I've been saying for ages that KFC are missing a trick because vegan chicken is pretty close to the real thing already so they should just cover it in their trademark herbs and spices and rake the vegan cash in. But the burger I had tasted dry and cardboardy and looked like an old bookmark. Tasted ok but it's obviously harder than I thought.

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: Menu on January 18, 2022, 06:03:56 PMOh really? Will give it a go.

I gave it a go but was being greedy and also trying the 'festive' burger at the same time. It was good but given the side-by side comparison it highlighted mostly how bad, dry and flavourless the (meat) patties in the other burger were.