Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:24:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Midget Gems #CANCELLED

Started by Blue Jam, January 13, 2022, 06:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiftwork2

I used to call my office sharer a 'midget prick', because he was short and actively and odiously unpleasant and I hated him.  Would I now have to refer to him as the mini prick?

Obviously no reason to retain a charged term for sweets.

Alberon

Pr*ck is now considered too offensive to use. The accepted phrase is now 'Love Sausage'.

Blue Jam

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 13, 2022, 10:28:25 PMI used to call my office sharer a 'midget prick', because he was short and actively and odiously unpleasant and I hated him.  Would I now have to refer to him as the mini prick?

"mini prick" somehow sounds even more insulting, so yeah, I reckon.

Buy your raspberry ripple ice creams while you still can.

buzby

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 13, 2022, 07:20:25 PM"jaffa cakes" is another generic, non-copyright term isn't it? Is it offensive to men who are firing blanks?
McVities forgot to register the name, so other manufacturers can use it with impunity.

Quote from: touchingcloth on January 13, 2022, 07:59:33 PMMy Finnish friend says they have some sweets there which are basically called Liquorice N-words, so Great British sweets are all relatively fine.
There were a couple of racist brands for liquorice in finland - Fazer's  Lakritsi (introduced in 1928) had a golliwog on it's packaging

and Chymos' Laku Pekka (introduced in 1927) had 'Black Pete' (named after a Finnish bogeyman-type folk character)

(Chymos were aquired by Fazer in 2006)
Both of these were removed in 2007, though not without some public outcry.

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 13, 2022, 08:21:16 PMYou still see tête-de-nègre in France sometimes. A year or so ago I noticed the supermarket ones were called tête au chocolat on the individual packages but the box they were put out from still said tête-de-nègre.
Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 13, 2022, 08:25:58 PMIf they're the sweets I'm thinking of, they were called N*****'s Kisses and they were renamed to Kisses some time ago.
These chocolate mallow sweets/cakes with the racist name are different from the liquorice mentioned above and were common across most of northern Europe since the 1800s. From the Bake-Off thread, about the giant Tunnocks Teacake challenge:
Quote from: buzby on September 14, 2017, 12:48:28 PMI suspect the Teacake name was adopted by Tunnock's as a way of avoiding VAT on confectionery (the foil wrapper actually has 'Tunnock's Chocolate Mallow' printed on it). The company won a tax appeal in 2014 to have it's coconut-covered variant the Snowball also classífied as a cake.

Boyd Tunnock, the octogenarian owner of the company (and staunch Tory party supporter and donor) claims to have invented them in 1956 when he returned from National Service in the Army Catering Corps, but they are a copy of the 'moor's head' or 'negroes' kiss' (later renamed 'chocolate kiss' for obvious reasons) chocolate-covered marshmallow confectionery that had been popular around northern Europe since the early 1800s. The leading German brand is Stork's Dickmann's, which have been in production since 1950 (and possibly where Tunnock got the idea from, if he served over there) :

Finnish confectioner Brunberg used this name and branding for their version (introduced in 1951, so like Tunnocks it was probably a copy of Dickmanns):

They changed the name in 2001 to 'Chocolate Kisses' but kept the offensive box art:

Kankurette

Giant Tunnock's Teacake? Bet the TERFs were all over that.

Isn't there racist confectionary in Spain as well? Some sweets with a cartoon black man on them, and David Silva got into hot water for comparing Benjamin Mendy to the character?

touchingcloth

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on January 13, 2022, 08:25:58 PMIf they're the sweets I'm thinking of, they were called N*****'s Kisses and they were renamed to Kisses some time ago.

Buzby's post confirmed my hazy memory of my friend showing me a generic type of sweet rather than a particular brand. As a nation they're quite close to being a monoculture, and in my experience that's reflected in a lack of political correctness where their language around race is concerned. You can see it in the packaging in the images Buzby posted - it's all a bit Jim Crow.

Paul Calf

Quote from: Replies From View on January 13, 2022, 06:48:43 PMWhatever became of Cretin Clumps?

They've got a comeback tour starting in Manchester in April.

Replies From View

Quote from: Paul Calf on January 14, 2022, 12:31:28 PMThey've got a comeback tour starting in Manchester in April.

At last some remotely good news

Gurke and Hare

Quote from: Kankurette on January 14, 2022, 12:28:37 PMGiant Tunnock's Teacake? Bet the TERFs were all over that.

What's the Tunnock's TERF connection? I missed that one.

Kankurette

For those not familiar with the Glinner thread, Tunnock's Teacakes donated to the LGB Alliance.

Blue Jam

Happy New Year buzby :)

Quote from: buzby on January 14, 2022, 11:26:21 AMand Chymos' Laku Pekka (introduced in 1927) had 'Black Pete' (named after a Finnish bogeyman-type folk character)

Is this in any way related to the Dutch character "Zwarte Piet", Santa's blackface-wearing little helper?

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/article/black-pete-christmas-zwarte-piet-dutch

I am reliably informed that it's still pretty socially acceptable to have him on display in the Netherlands. I'm headed over there myself for a werk thing soon so I shall see if I can find any politically incorrect confectionery while I'm there.

Replies From View

buzby

Quote from: Kankurette on January 14, 2022, 12:28:37 PMIsn't there racist confectionary in Spain as well? Some sweets with a cartoon black man on them, and David Silva got into hot water for comparing Benjamin Mendy to the character?
Conguitos. It was Bernardo Silva, not David:

Created in 1961, 'inspired by the independence of the Belgian Congo', still on sale to this day:

The current manufacturer Lacasa have ignored all requests for it to be rebranded (far right politicians even called the requests an attack on Spanish history and culture), and most people in Spain don't even see it as racist.

Quote from: Blue Jam on January 14, 2022, 01:23:47 PMHappy New Year buzby :)

Is this in any way related to the Dutch character "Zwarte Piet", Santa's blackface-wearing little helper?
Similar. In Sweden and Finland 'Black Pete' is a Moor who was one of the Three Wise Men, and it's a Christmas tradition to don blackface:
https://yle.fi/news/3-9986313

Replies From View

Video Game Fan 2000

They we never called Elephant Men round are way, we called them Icecream Day-Lewises

Kankurette

Thanks. I'm getting my Silvas mixed up, though at least I'm not confusing my Mendys, since the City one is a rapist and the Chelsea one isn't.

That Conguitos thing is vile, as is Black Pete/Zwarte Piet, and of course the Netherlands is full of people whining about wokeness and cancel culture and how dare they take away our traditions. As for Three Kings, I remember Andres Iniesta got into trouble on social media when he posted a picture of him and his mates celebrating Día de los Reyes and one of them was blacked up.

Replies From View

Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on January 14, 2022, 03:09:46 PMThey we never called Elephant Men round are way, we called them Icecream Day-Lewises

In Somerset we called them The Dudley Moore Club

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Kankurette on January 14, 2022, 03:31:26 PMThanks. I'm getting my Silvas mixed up, though at least I'm not confusing my Mendys, since the City one is a rapist and the Chelsea one isn't.

That Conguitos thing is vile, as is Black Pete/Zwarte Piet, and of course the Netherlands is full of people whining about wokeness and cancel culture and how dare they take away our traditions. As for Three Kings, I remember Andres Iniesta got into trouble on social media when he posted a picture of him and his mates celebrating Día de los Reyes and one of them was blacked up.

That's all very well but in Kenya they have a white chocolate bar called 'tiny dick, sissy boy cuck, no natural rhythm, shite at basketball' bar.

But that's ok I suppose! Couldn't make it up!

Alberon

Do you remember the English Bar? The English chocolate bar? Do you remember it? The English Bar? These days... these days you'd be locked up just for asking for one.

imitationleather

Quote from: Alberon on January 14, 2022, 05:33:09 PMDo you remember the English Bar? The English chocolate bar? Do you remember it? The English Bar? These days... these days you'd be locked up just for asking for one.

There's still a lovely English Bar in Spain. Carling, All Day Breakfasts, week-old copies of The Sun etc.

Blumf

Quote from: Alberon on January 14, 2022, 05:33:09 PMDo you remember the English Bar? The English chocolate bar? Do you remember it? The English Bar? These days... these days you'd be locked up just for asking for one.

I asked for a chocolate bar, and they only went and gave me one in grams!!! Wots that all about?

Video Game Fan 2000

Foam prawns should be rebranded as gammon cleft ringpieces

Pink Gregory

You know when you see absolute idiots on facebook call this sort of renaming 'a sinister attack on freedom of speech', as one comment Ms. Gregory read out to me; are you ever tempted to just reply, 'you're a cunt, mate', just nothing but spiteful, mean spirited abuse?

Just askin'

gilbertharding

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 17, 2022, 03:26:34 PMYou know when you see absolute idiots on facebook call this sort of renaming 'a sinister attack on freedom of speech', as one comment Ms. Gregory read out to me; are you ever tempted to just reply, 'you're a cunt, mate', just nothing but spiteful, mean spirited abuse?

Just askin'

According to someone on twitter *Louis Barfe Cough* the best thing to do, to avoid being banned, is to say it as a private message.

There was a short kid at school who was a total wank and I used to call him "midget germ".

robhug

Is it possible to use the word Midget without causing offence to Dwarfs? Can it be used in any context or should it be expunged from the dictionary as an ex-word?

The same sort of goes for Dwarf but that's much more regularly used in the context of little people, and it sometimes considered offensive however saying Dwarfism seems to be absolutely fine as does miniature portions of normal sized items being referred as Dwarf (IE Wall or Conifer).

Would it be alright to describe a little person as diminutive? If it was me Id find being called Little Person the most offensive however that's the most acceptable one is it? Its just not clear cut.