Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 08:41:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

CaB Fashion Thread

Started by Blue Jam, December 01, 2020, 12:12:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Jam

Quote from: Cuellar on November 26, 2021, 12:43:12 PMI've had men's H&M suits in the past and I thought they were good and they were well received. I think I went for any of the cotton ones I could find (or the non-synthetic ones anyway).

Thanks Cuellar, I thought the cotton ones looked decent. Also my next two interviews are both in the building I currently work in, which has dodgy heating and is roasting, so polyester is a no-no.

Quote from: Heid The Baw on November 26, 2021, 12:47:58 PMHi Blue Jam. You could try Ralph Slaters. 100 George Street, Edinburgh. Always worked for me when I was a suit person.

Thanks but I'm one of those women they have these days. I did consider Hawes and Curtis, sponsors of Kyren Wilson, but their womenswear range is pretty small, lots of nice shirts but a choice of two suit jackets which are both a bit lairy for interviews.

Quote from: Heid The Baw on November 26, 2021, 12:47:58 PMHi Blue Jam. You could try Ralph Slaters. 100 George Street, Edinburgh. Always worked for me when I was a suit person.

I don't think that would work for for BJ, this is her day wear

Blue Jam

tbf if I interviewed Susie I'd definitely give her the job. Mainly because I'd be afraid not to.

Back from shopping now, convinced that The Golden Jobbie is the most pointless place on earth. Lots of smaller versions of shops which don't have the full range they used to carry before they moved from their bigger premises on Princes Street.

Nae suits to be had either- so much fucking polyester everywhere. One suit I found at Hobbs was exactly like one I found at Mango except three times the price, same shiny material, same cheap feel, probably made in the exact same factory.

Really struggling to buy formal stuff now all the department stores have gone bust and everyone's working from home.

Quote from: Blue Jam on November 26, 2021, 06:12:48 PMOne suit I found at Hobbs was exactly like one I found at Mango except three times the price, same shiny material, same cheap feel, probably made in the exact same factory.

Highly likely.

Massimo Dutti have some nice suits/blazers/trousers (not cheap though), I've just checked and there's one in Glasgow but not in Edinburgh.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Hope the suit shopping has gone ok, @Blue Jam! Not sure how relevant ebaying is to you right now, but I've found proper nice Max Mara suits off Ebay in the past for good prices

touchingcloth

It's a workers' market at the moment. Go in jeans and one of those Cradle of Filth T-shirts and tell them they're lucky you've even bothered to show up.

Mr Banlon

Pink Gregory

can any of youse help me out here?

We have a wedding to attend in March and Ms Gregory (who has embraced being non-binary recently) would prefer to wear a suit type outfit rather than a dress...

However it would seem that women's suits exist only for the girlboss boardroom or alternatively to make any conventially shaped woman look, well, strange.  I mean trousers that go down all the way are rare.

Is there anywhere in particular I should look?  Just for them thinking about it sends them into a spiral so I'm trying to find some leads.

Even better if it's in a colour other than cream.

Pink Gregory

Alright I probably should have read the last few pages first but we're maybe looking for something less job-interviewy than what our Blue Jam was after?

I mean I sort of have an idea in my head but I also think it either doesn't actually exist or costs eighty billions pounds and exists only for photoshoots

Ray Travez

What sort of budget are you looking at?

Pink Gregory

Up to £300 maybe but preferably less, I'm too fat for my own suit now, so that's going to be a lark, but I reckon I might hav a better time of finding something cheaper.

In terms of having an occasion outfit anyway, not sure we'll be invited to that many weddings in future.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 17, 2022, 07:44:40 AMAlright I probably should have read the last few pages first but we're maybe looking for something less job-interviewy than what our Blue Jam was after?

I actually didn't buy a suit in the end because everything I found was either overpriced and poor quality, or too loose and boxy for a job interview. So there's your answer: big loose masculine blazers, especially double-breasted ones, are in for women right now.

H&M have loads:

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/ladies/shop-by-product/blazers-and-waistcoats.html

Cos (owned by H&M) are also good for this kind of thing, and a bit more upmarket but still reasonably-priced:

https://www.cosstores.com/en_gbp/women/coats-and-jackets.html

I know what you mean about the trouser issue though. I hate cropped trousers but they've been absolutely bloody everywhere for years. I'm not tall but my legs are long for my height so cropped trousers just make me look like I bought the wrong size, or like I've just had a growth spurt. Also trousers that are too long or too short will just make the wearer's legs look shorter. Fortunately wide leg trousers are in fashion again, and while there are still loads of cropped ones(!) most of them do go all the way down.

I also hate the typical "job interview-y" workwear for women. Most women's suits seem to be cut to emphasise curves and look a bit sexy and I feel very uncomfortable in that kind of thing. I'm not NB but I am into more masculine looks myself.

More retailers are also doing non-gendered ranges now. I got some. nice stuff from Adidas recently, but for smarter stuff, look around online and you may be surprised at how much is out there.

Finally, I'd suggest browsing Pinterest or Instagram for some style inspiration. Lots of collections like this one (for example) out there:

https://www.pinterest.com/amp/markschneider/androgynous-wedding-wear/

Pink Gregory

Thanks Blue Jam, you are excellent

TrenterPercenter

I've bought some lovely bright blue brushed joggers from Boden in the sale, a nice thermal running top from ronhill and a cosy bobble hat from Föhn.

Do we have to start being more presentable again now covid is over?  I'm going to try pushing it out for as long as poss if I'm honest.

GoblinAhFuckScary

How thrifty are you feeling, @Pink Gregory ? I'm more of a skirt-suit gal but on my Ebay travels I'm constantly seeing two-pieces which would be peeeeerfect if I was a trousers creature. Big into Armani and Max Mara suits I've nabbed which are really nice and neither girl-boss nor office shmuck, though I understand it's probably preferable to try them on in person like

Pink Gregory

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 17, 2022, 01:17:29 PMHow thrifty are you feeling, @Pink Gregory ? I'm more of a skirt-suit gal but on my Ebay travels I'm constantly seeing two-pieces which would be peeeeerfect if I was a trousers creature. Big into Armani and Max Mara suits I've nabbed which are really nice and neither girl-boss nor office shmuck, though I understand it's probably preferable to try them on in person like

as thrifty as possible, but we have left it a little late considering now I've basically got a month to find something for them.

The fit is the problem as well, Ms.Gregory has real difficulty with finding anything that fits well, but I'm going to try taking their measurements properly and see if that helps

Ray Travez

you could always get a high-street tailor to make adjustments for fit, though obviously they can't make a pair of short trousers long

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: Pink Gregory on January 17, 2022, 01:25:41 PMas thrifty as possible, but we have left it a little late considering now I've basically got a month to find something for them.

The fit is the problem as well, Ms.Gregory has real difficulty with finding anything that fits well, but I'm going to try taking their measurements properly and see if that helps

Do you have a size? Or colour preference?

Pink Gregory

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on January 17, 2022, 01:36:55 PMDo you have a size? Or colour preference?

well it's not at all reliable but they usually wear like a 14-16?  I'm not entirely sure if we'd be looking for an oversized look but the right thing could work. 

Probably a blazer/high waisted trouser combo kind of thing, they're somewhat of a petite height though so trousers are an absolute nightmare

colourwise I think we're looking for something non-neutral, hence them saying they don't want it to look like a job interview suit

flotemysost

As much as I'm trying to move away from fast fashion, somewhere like Asos might be worth a gander for affordable options? https://www.asos.com/women/suits-separates/cat/?cid=13632&nlid=ww|clothing|shop+by+product|suits+%26+tailoring

I'm not really a suit gal myself, not even for job interviews etc. but a few years ago a friend lent me a trouser suit for an event, and if I say so myself it looked absolutely boss for something I'd never have chosen myself. High-waisted trousers but with a very flattering "slack" fit, sharp shoulders but not exaggeratedly padded, neither overtly feminine and clingy or mannish. Anyway, that was from Asos (circa a few years back).

I'm 5'2"-ish so I can understand the trouser length struggle (and I know what you mean Blue Jam about cropped trousers often being weirdly unflattering a lot of the time). My knowledge of suits and all the accompanying lingo etc. is very lacking though, so that's my layperson's cheat option anyway.

Ferris

Just got a woven belt, reckon it could be a game-changer.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Ferris on January 17, 2022, 10:48:28 PMJust got a woven belt, reckon it could be a game-changer.

Fukin love a woven belt

Ferris

bgmnts

Made up the belt worked out.

Dex Sawash

Bought a pair of Levis pull-on jeans which are a game changer. They use gentle all-over compression to stay up instead of relying upon an FWB-style* accessory tourniquet. Wife says are you wearing jeggings? No, they're pull-on jeans which is a different thing, see they have real pockets and a simulated fly. The rest of you people can continue with your medieval belt torture if you want, I will be laughing in my pull-on jeans.

*F-style now, I reckon

Ferris

I exclusively wear pull-on chelsea boots, and I suppose my tshirts are pull-on as well.

Dare I take the next step re: jeans and go full pull-on? Having a swift google now to see.

Ferris

First result was amazon

QuoteCustomers who viewed this item also viewed:
Levi's Mens XX Standard Tapered Chino Pants

Giant sweat pants made out of cotton. Don't think I'm at that level yet but will get there one day.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Ferris on January 20, 2022, 01:45:19 PMI exclusively wear pull-on chelsea boots, and I suppose my tshirts are pull-on as well.

Dare I take the next step re: jeans and go full pull-on? Having a swift google now to see.

...and you thought the woven belt was a game-changer...

Steve Jobs was also full pull-on because he had a button phobia. Mark Zuckerberg looks like a pull-on guy as well. Sounds like a way to go.

Ferris

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Ferris on January 20, 2022, 01:47:59 PMFirst result was amazon

Giant sweat pants made out of cotton. Don't think I'm at that level yet but will get there one day.

Yeah, those are turrible. You want the ladies ones.