Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:02:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Current State Of Adult Swim

Started by Small Man Big Horse, January 11, 2022, 08:52:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: madhair60 on January 12, 2022, 08:16:56 AMATHF on form is a joy imo. I expect a lot of it is tough viewing now, but stuff like Broodwich, Ezekial and Super Bowl will always tickle me. I just like hearing Dana Snyder talk.

The Mooninites were funny as fuck in a really pathetic way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1Q806wMR8

Ant Farm Keyboard

At some point, they cut down on live-action shows, for some reason, even if most of them had been hits. Then, Mike Lazzo's final years at the head of the network were not his best ones, between his words about women in comedy and the Million Dollar Extreme debacle. I tried to watch Mr. Pickles, which was awful (The Heart, She Holler without the self-awareness about caricaturing the South, or the surreality), yet got three seasons, plus at least two seasons of a sequel show.

And it's now a very different landscape compared to four or five years ago. Individual niche networks don't have the same degree of autonomy, as everything released by majors is now mostly designed with streaming in mind. WarnerMedia is less concerned about Adult Swim than about original programming for HBO Max or their next merger, with Discovery. Lazzo and Crawford actually retired shortly after the AT&T acquisition (most network heads, including the one at HBO, were also replaced).
Similarly, at Comedy Central, Kent Alterman left at the time of the Viacom-CBS merger. It's now some MTV guy who oversees several networks, including CC. They also sold The Other Two and another show to HBO Max, while in-house efforts are focused on Paramount+

Povidone

Quote from: Mister Six on January 12, 2022, 04:03:44 PMIn Pudsey in Leeds?

Yes, it was some kind of nerdcore rap bill with MC Lars (a pal who was a fan invited me and I figured it would be worth my time to see MC Chris) it definitely happened and I've been searching for proof online but found nothing.

buzby

Quote from: Povidone on January 13, 2022, 10:39:49 AMYes, it was some kind of nerdcore rap bill with MC Lars (a pal who was a fan invited me and I figured it would be worth my time to see MC Chris) it definitely happened and I've been searching for proof online but found nothing.
Could it have been 2011? MC Lars did a UK tour from 11/05 to 30/05/2011 with MC Chris, Weerd Science and Akira The Don supporting around him coming over for the Slam Dunk festival (the northern half being at Leeds Student Union) on 28-29/05/2011, so he may well have played a small gig in Leeds alongside that.

MC Lars did play the Leeds Cockput supporting Zebrahead on 30/03/2010 though.

Mister Six

It's the fact that it was Pudsey that threw me. What was the venue? The Cockpit sounds about right for another, central gig though.

Povidone

Definitely wasn't The Cockpit or the Leeds student union but could well have been 2011, we had to go out of town I remember my mate driving us, I'll need to get in touch with him an find out.

Most likely it will turn out not to be Pudsey but some other Leeds fringe town I've confused it with, got form for that.

chutnut

Quote from: Mister Six on January 12, 2022, 06:46:25 PMHave you seen Netflix's Childrens Hospital spin-off Medical Police? It's superb.

Worth rewatching Childrens Hospital, too. The first season is a bit ropey, but it just gets better and better. The Midsummer Night's Dream episode in season 5 is a series highlight for me.

Yeah I loved that but had completely forgotten about it actually! I can't remember the the Midsummer Night's Dream one tbh, was the 5th series the one on the army camp?

Mister Six

Dickie_Anders

Went off them with the FLCL sequels to be honest. The original is probably my favourite television show of all time. Adult Swim decided to make their own with none of the original creators involved and it was so bad I haven't even had the want to revisit the original. I used to re-watch it every year

Dickie_Anders

Just watched three episodes of Smiling Friends, and I like it quite a bit. Definitely Newgroundsy type of humour. The Halloween one in particular was brilliant, surprising amount of the effort in the animation there (and in general) for this type of stuff

Small Man Big Horse

Just noticed that "The F Spot With Derrick Beckles" is up on All4 - https://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-f-spot-with-derrick-beckles/on-demand/72403-001 - it's a pilot for a show which was never picked up which I hadn't heard of before, I really like Beckles work normally and I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me laugh in a few places, but it also felt a bit cruel, mainly as the joke is on members of the general public.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

All 4's selection is all over the place. I wouldn't mind so much, but they don't have any of Sealab (and if they did, it would probably be the later series).

chveik

cancelling the venture bros was a horrible decision (and less so that megan koester show, i bet it didn't cost them much). and now that on cinema has jumped ship, they can get to fuck

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 19, 2022, 08:19:52 PMAll 4's selection is all over the place. I wouldn't mind so much, but they don't have any of Sealab (and if they did, it would probably be the later series).
"EAT SOME MORE PILLS, PILL-HEAD."

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on January 19, 2022, 09:43:38 PM"EAT SOME MORE PILLS, PILL-HEAD."
"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"

The Mollusk

Quote from: Mister Six on January 12, 2022, 04:03:44 PMTigtone

Just started watching this as I was reading about nightmarish avant-garde metal band Sleepytime Gorilla Museum earlier and saw that the vocalist plays the lead character. I was expecting to hate it based on the opening couple of scenes of the pilot but it's actually really funny. Like a less perplexing and less bizarre medieval Xavier: Renegade Angel. It's a huge piss take of fantasy cinema and RPGs and plays up to the tropes really well. The pacing and performances are OTT and some might find that jarring (as I said, I didn't think I'd find it bearable since I normally can't stand that stuff) but everything else makes up for it.

Egyptian Feast

It's definitely my favourite of their recent output. Any show that casts John Waters as a Centaur is doing something right by me.

Ron Superior

[as] have done one of those festive Yule Log videos but, it being adult swim, it's not just that. Go into it blind, get it watched to get in the festive spirit!

Also, the recent Aqua Teen movie was way more fun than I expected it to be.