Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:44:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Adrian Chiles

Started by TrenterPercenter, July 21, 2021, 05:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

I heard Adrian Chiles went to a restaurant and he ate all the food and they had to close the restaurant.

robhug

There's far bigger cunts out there than Ade, so he gets a pass from me.

buttgammon

Butchers Blind

I wonder if anyone reads these arse thoughts of Childs and thinks, 'you know what, yes'

shiftwork2

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2022, 12:22:46 PMToday! I know nothing about local government! Literally just a column about how he doesn't understand local government. He makes no attempt to find out the facts or explain it to the reader. He just writes about his own pathetic ignorance. Utterly worthless.

Spectacular will-this-do.  I wonder what he was waiting for while he typed that into Notes on his phone for 15 mins.  Ocado delivery?

beanheadmcginty

Has anybody considered starting a business selling little stuffed toy versions of this chap with a bag of pins and calling them "Voodoo Chiles"?

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 13, 2022, 08:05:32 PMHas anybody considered starting a business selling little stuffed toy versions of this chap with a bag of pins and calling them "Voodoo Chiles"?
What would the profit margins be?

Slight return.

beanheadmcginty

shiftwork2

Increasingly of the opinion that Chiles writes these on his phone while he's curling out a Wednesday steamer.  Today he ruminates for 200 words on education, class and entrenched advantage.  Ruminates may not be correct.  He mentions the personal statement, remembers one mate who believes they matter and another who thinks they don't and asks us to take our pick.  His third mate once did a dinner party anecdote about a posh girls school and we get that as well.

*I'D LEAVE IT A MINUTE*

Ferris

Flush the article and all while you're in there please Adrian.

Glebe

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on January 13, 2022, 12:22:46 PMToday! I know nothing about local government! Literally just a column about how he doesn't understand local government. He makes no attempt to find out the facts or explain it to the reader. He just writes about his own pathetic ignorance. Utterly worthless.

Please, someone, explain there that's 500 words invoice enclosed.

Zetetic

I'm pretty sympathetic to the local government piece given that no-one, including people in local government, has much clarity about the responsibilities and powers involved.

gilbertharding

Quote from: shiftwork2 on January 20, 2022, 04:08:46 PMIncreasingly of the opinion that Chiles writes these on his phone while he's curling out a Wednesday steamer.  [...] His third mate once did a dinner party anecdote about a posh girls school and we get that as well.

That one's got quite a good punchline ("It's on the Picadilly Line") if you ask me.

Simon Hoggart used to string three or four of these kinds of inconsequential, vaguely amusing, strangely illuminating vignettes to fill half a page on a Saturday. Perhaps his were more tightly focussed, I don't know. I don't think Chiles's bits are helped by being presented on the website, where they could easily confuse the casual reader into thinking they're supposed to have as much importance as all the other pages.

As for local government: it is quite easy to know (or find out) which bodies are nominally responsible for what services (eg Schools and main roads = County, Bins and local planning = Borough or District, or whatever...). But who is responsible for saying how much money is available? And who says how many houses the borough has to plan to build? And these days, of course, most of these services have been outsourced anyway.

Bigfella

I can't help liking big Chilesy.  He seems like a friendly, bumbling teddy bear with zero ego. 

Zetetic

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 20, 2022, 04:40:37 PM(eg Schools .... = County
Unless it's a school where this isn't true, which is quite possible in England at least.

Zetetic

Quotelocal planning
Although LAs will argue that their hands are tied by listing authorities and national-level governments, of course.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Zetetic on January 20, 2022, 05:01:21 PMAlthough LAs will argue that their hands are tied by listing authorities and national-level governments, of course.

Didn't read the last three sentences of my post? That's fine.

Zetetic

That's a fair point, and I wasn't trying to fault you, but it's not just a house building or cash allocation problem.

We've had demolitions in Cardiff where the council argued that WG-controlled rules meant that without Cadw-listing they couldn't refuse permission. Whether that's even true or not doesn't really matter - accountability is broken.

I can only apologise for making it feel like I was trying to correct you.

Sebastian Cobb

"Who is more to be pitied, a writer bound and gagged by policemen or one living in perfect freedom who has nothing more to say?"

wooders1978

Quote from: Bigfella on January 20, 2022, 04:53:14 PMI can't help liking big Chilesy.  He seems like a friendly, bumbling teddy bear with zero ego. 

My mate lived on the same street in Hammersmith about 15 years back - not approachable

gilbertharding

Quote from: Zetetic on January 20, 2022, 08:05:18 PMThat's a fair point, and I wasn't trying to fault you, but it's not just a house building or cash allocation problem.

We've had demolitions in Cardiff where the council argued that WG-controlled rules meant that without Cadw-listing they couldn't refuse permission. Whether that's even true or not doesn't really matter - accountability is broken.

I can only apologise for making it feel like I was trying to correct you.

No, you're alright...

But the thing about planning applications, is that they're essentially a legal process. So the council can only turn them down for lawful reasons, otherwise the applicant can appeal.

So it looks as if their hands are tied - but they set the plans (stating what development is allowed where) in the first place.

Menu

Quote from: Bigfella on January 20, 2022, 04:53:14 PMI can't help liking big Chilesy.  He seems like a friendly, bumbling teddy bear with zero ego. 

That's how I feel. He just seems really affable. Also I do like a relaxed TV presenter. Someone who talks to the camera like he's talking to you at home. A bit like Michael Aspel. You can't see their cogs whirring.

Sorry for making you picture Adrian Chiles's cogs.

Bigfella

Quote from: wooders1978 on January 20, 2022, 09:38:44 PMMy mate lived on the same street in Hammersmith about 15 years back - not approachable
More info, please.  Would he just ignore people?  Tell them to fuck off?  Makes you wonder how you would treat the public as a celeb.  I would give them a smile at least.  If they were asking too many questions I'd say 'Good to meet you mate, but I need to crack on, in a bit of a hurry.'

Inspector Norse

He carried a personal forcefield that electrocuted anyone who came within 15 yards. Ran on wind power.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Menu on January 20, 2022, 11:04:55 PMThat's how I feel. He just seems really affable. Also I do like a relaxed TV presenter. Someone who talks to the camera like he's talking to you at home. A bit like Michael Aspel. You can't see their cogs whirring.

Sorry for making you picture Adrian Chiles's cogs.

Celebrities quite often do these documentary films where they explore their personal issues (Freddie Flintoff's bulimia, Stephen Fry's bipolar for instance) to highlight the issue, raise awareness, and show how human they really are.  I like the fact that Chiles's one was about his drinking. Not his Drinking Problem. Just his drinking. Because he didn't have a problem. He likes a drink. He should probably drink a bit less. He'll definitely try to drink less. For a while.

The Dog

Quote from: Bigfella on January 21, 2022, 04:36:19 AMMore info, please.  Would he just ignore people?  Tell them to fuck off?

Think its more like trying to approach a woodland creature. Best chance is to approach from downwind but he will startle easily.

Quote from: Bigfella on January 21, 2022, 04:36:19 AMMakes you wonder how you would treat the public as a celeb.

As an 85kg dog I get a lot of attention from the public and it can be very tiring, but I always try to be polite and answer their questions.

People always ask the same three or four things: Are you a bear? How much do you eat? What is Popcorn like in real life? When is your next post coming out on the CAB forums?

Menu

Menu

Quote from: gilbertharding on January 21, 2022, 08:41:13 AMCelebrities quite often do these documentary films where they explore their personal issues (Freddie Flintoff's bulimia, Stephen Fry's bipolar for instance) to highlight the issue, raise awareness, and show how human they really are.  I like the fact that Chiles's one was about his drinking. Not his Drinking Problem. Just his drinking. Because he didn't have a problem. He likes a drink. He should probably drink a bit less. He'll definitely try to drink less. For a while.

He's entitled to that though isn't he? Maybe it isn't a problem. He doesn't strike me as an alcoholic. I must admit though I was amazed how much he was sticking away. No offence but I bet he fucking stinks.

I still like his uber-relaxed presenting style. Aspel, Lynam, Chiles, Walker, who else was/is like that? 

gilbertharding

Of course, of course - he can drink, or not drink. Literally doesn't matter one way or the other. It's just typical Chiles - he drinks (quite a lot? Who knows... more than me, but less than Oliver Reed) but it's not a problem. And bingo! There's a 58 minute TV show about it.

dissolute ocelot

More heartwarming Chilesery and prime Photoshop opportunity:

I got a back-to-front West Brom tattoo - and I love it