Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:30:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Toast of Tinseltown

Started by paruses, December 14, 2021, 01:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Spoiler alert
The cameo in episode six from 'Mike Nesmith' was a nice accidental tribute to the recently departed Monkee man.
[close]

Bently Sheds

I like the little Easter egg callbacks to his other shows;

Matt Holness: Toast, your Doctor Acting is really good. Have you played a doctor before?

Toast: *shrugs*

And the bit where Toast's US agent congratulates "Natasha" on her new gig on "the vampire show"

WhoMe

Overall quite disappointed with that I think. Little bits here and there made me laugh but the driving feeling was bemusement and awkwardness at things that were supposed to be funny but didn't hit for me. All just a bit odd for the sake of it, which the original Toast didn't usually stray into somehow. The wine tasting scene was great though, and Toast sat next to the bin on set getting pelted with random items. Generally the stronger bits were those that just featured the original characters being daft.

SpiderChrist

Enjoyed it, but Toast of London was consistently funnier.

Cuellar

I enjoyed the 'Death Valley' episode, as a sort of self-containted bit of nonsense.

The Frank Butcher

I hate the habit of binge-watching but it was still how I consumed Toast of Tinseltown. The ending seemed to me like an admission that the makers had embarked on something they then lost interest in, early on but a bit too late to drop before completing it.

It's too much mucking about. The hit and miss aspect of it (and of House of Fools) had been part of the appeal, but a few degrees more complacency or first draft-ness, to me, has made a flimsy burger of it. Gherkins and sauce in the form of Larry David and the others that I've forgotten already always felt in need of picking out and sticking to the underside of the enduringly figurative table.

I prefer to confine my negativity to compromisng my own happiness and quality of life, terminating my own projects in self-loathing, etc, but I love Berry's shtick and also think he's probably got something in him more disciplined if we can gently nudge him away from years of mucking about.

(By the way, would it be correct to say that he's spoken out about The It Crowd but not a bandmate of his?)

Thanks for listening, and apologies for any enervation caused.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Far gentler than London, I thought, the comedy diluted. But the water diluting it was warm and pleasant, and we laughed out loud both at actual jokes and flimsy whimsy (Mike Nesmith & Jaws, a natural pairing). Nice to see Benedict Wong in anything, though he hardly needs the work these days. That also lets me call yet another franchise "That thing with Benny Wong in it... You know, the Chinese one." For some reason I didn't find Armisen that funny, which is odd, and I'd have liked to get a better view of the names in Doon's car/office.

I was stumped by one of the denizens of the drinking club in episode one: I got Melly, Mark E. Smitg, Vivienne Westwood, and Tom Baker, but was stumped by him in the round glasses.

Cuellar

That's a young David Hockney, isn't it?

pancreas

I think the main problem is that Toast has no agency whatsoever in this. Of course he's always bandied from pillar to post, but he normally has some input into his own destiny. In this, not so much. And it's not so funny as a result.

Hobo With A Shit Pun

Ant Farm Keyboard

Quote from: Virgo76 on January 09, 2022, 02:34:20 PMI also really liked the title sequence. I know it's nothing new (and others have commented on it) but I also really like the weird sense of timelessness. The roman numeral at the start says 1974, Orson Welles is still alive and some of the characters are dressed in 1970s fashion. But clearly it's not really supposed to be in the 1970s.

I guess it's more due to Matt Berry being born in 1974.

DrGreggles

Not the strongest Toast, but still enjoyable (and beautifully perculiar) all the same.

Beagle 2

I loved it. It definitely felt like they removed a lot of the jokes in favour of more weirdness, but personally I love the weirdness.

Captain Z

I haven't read the thread because I'm avoiding spoilers, but, in case anyone is interested, Matt Berry seems to be doing the continuity announcements on BBC2 this evening in character as Steven Toast. Not sure how long for, but he's done the last two.

Virgo76

How successful was this version of Toast in the end?
Most people seem to have been disappointed by it.
Is it likely to return?

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

I unwittingly watched the shows out of sequence on YouTube ( where they had been mislabelled), so put one or two posts up on 'ere that may have seemed a bit odd. That " The Last Movie" referencing Death Valley episode strikes me as the best 'un, even though I've not seen the final episode yet. The one with Will's mum was easily the weakest, despite the presence of Natasha Thingy ( Vampire lady, Stath's sister).

Povidone

I quite liked the doctor episode, I think purely for the bit where he's made to wait for 3 hours for 'Carmen' to arrive and eats the huge bowl of chocolate; the bemused look on his chocolate-splattered face during the subsequent meeting had me in hysterics when they kept cutting back to him. Also 'Bellender Bojangles'.

Toast is a treasure trove of simple pleasures and I hope they make more.