Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:57:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The Simpsons: A Journey Through Shit

Started by JamesTC, January 08, 2021, 11:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapple MyPad?

Mapple MyPad
2 (7.1%)
Mapple MyPad
0 (0%)
Mapple MyPad
6 (21.4%)
Mapplethorpe
16 (57.1%)
Mapple MyPad
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Voting closed: December 24, 2021, 08:55:16 AM

idunnosomename

Quote from: Mobbd on November 22, 2021, 11:54:16 AMThat's a very odd choice. It actually suggests to me that this isn't even a true crossover. I would have thought this whole stunt had been originated by the Sinister House of Mouse, but now I wonder if it was Team Simpsons trying to do a thing.
yeah, that's basically what I'm saying. the Simpsons production staff clearly like doing them, they've done a Star Wars one, then a Marvel one, and now they've done this. they have so few ideas that Disney is happy to allow them to use their intellectual properties in this garish way. it's just a mutual business agreement, probably to make a series of exclusive shorts for the purpose of advertising Disney+: but it's entirely up to the Simpsons staff what they come up with.

bet you the Disney board will have viewed an animatic of it before the animation proper was produced, and probably got a couple risque gags cut, but otherwise it'll have been produced like any Simpsons episode is now (dont know if they still outsource inbetweening and that overseas anymore)

thr0b

Aye. It was produced and commissioned by Disney to advertise Disney+ to Disney+ subscribers on the occasion of the second anniversary (or something) of Disney+.

It was entirely shit, as something conceived and developed to be corporate shilling would usually be.

The best thing, as ever with modern Simpsons was not the plot, it was the credits. The end credits had some excellent Simpsons-style Disney art. But I can find that thing on Tumblr if I was so inclined.

neov1974

Baby You Can't Drive My Car
Season 30 episode 5

first born was watching this earlier, I usually avoid paying any attention to any new ones, but couldn't help notice that there were a) some jokes and b) it coulda been worse

JamesTC

Been a while. How do you do this again? I'll just get out my Mapple MyPad and watch the next episode.

Season 24 - Episode 9 - Homer Goes to Prep School

The family are going to a children fun centre. Children go down a slide and fall into a hole and are then forced to join the Mormon church. Marge asks Homer to watch Bart and Lisa, but every child there suddenly looks a little like Bart and Lisa. Bart and Lisa are then standing right next to Homer and asks them who the hell they are, and I laughed because I am a moron who likes it when Homer is dumb. Homer climbs to the top of a slide but Bart and Lisa fire balls at him making him fall off. Ralph jumps on Homer like he is a trambopoline.

When a child chases a ball out of the fun centre, the place locks down. Marge is with all the mothers when locked down and calms them by having them share birthing stories. Homer is with all the fathers and they are kicking the shit out of each other. Rainier Wolfcastle throws Homer through the shutter door in order to escape. Homer sees all the fathers as crazy monkeys.

At home, Homer is getting ready for work when Marge asks if he is okay to go back. Homer asserts that it has been 8 months so he thinks he is ready. He leaves the house but then sees everybody as monkeys. Homer runs back into the house scared but can't close the door as Flanders has a monkey head poking in the door. Homer is bashing the door on Flanders head and fucking kills him.

Homer is talking over his fear at Moe's where there happens to be a survival expert called Lloyd who wants to teach Homer about the upcoming apocalypse which is the plot of the episode. Lloyd shows Homer a video on his Mapple MyPad which warns of the fall of civilisation. Homer leaves with Lloyd so Lenny, Carl and Moe enter a suspended state until Homer returns. Lloyd introduces Homer to "preppers" who are preparing for the apocalypse. They ask Homer what he would do during an EMP, and he suggests he would commit suicide. Homer eats all of Super Nintento Chalmers' grain. Homer is using the information from the preppers to prepare for the apocalypse.

Homer is taken to the top secret hideout for the preppers and given keys. Homer reveals everything to Marge but she thinks he is a bit crazy. Whilst watching a YouTube video on prepping, Homer misses the nuclear reactor going crazy behind him and it fires an EMP all across the town. Various jokes about there being no power such as Snake not being killed in the electric chair and the disco stopping so Disco Stu pulls out a gun to shoot himself in the head.

The family go to the preppers hideout. Bart is bored so Homer tells him to write a list of all the celebrities who are rumoured to be gay. Marge is annoyed at Homer for abandoning everybody in town. The preppers are talking about shooting anybody who approaches them who is not prepared, but Homer says they should help the unprepared. At night, Homer wakes up the family. Bart has a camp girlfriend who is a bag of rice with an ambiguous race. The family escape with all the supplies.

The family are chased but manage to escape. The whole town is actually okay as the electricity came back after a couple of days. Lloyd is sad the end of the world didn't happen. Super Nintendo Chalmers was drinking his own urine to avoid being poisoned. Lisa says they will all be safe for a long long time. An asteroid with a load of zombies approaches earth.

4/10 - It was funny enough in patches to elevate it even if some moments dragged it down.

Blumf

Quote from: JamesTC on January 14, 2022, 11:15:54 PMVarious jokes about there being no power such as Snake not being killed in the electric chair

Didn't they do this joke before?

JamesTC

Quote from: Blumf on January 15, 2022, 12:33:37 AMDidn't they do this joke before?

Something similar. I might be forgetting another one they also specifically did with Snake.

Blumf

Yeah, I'd swear I saw an earlier one with Snake on the chair, but the power's out.

Catalogue Trousers

QuoteBart has a camp girlfriend who is a bag of rice with an ambiguous race.

WHAT DOES THAT EVEN

Poobum

Quote from: Blumf on January 15, 2022, 01:19:08 AMYeah, I'd swear I saw an earlier one with Snake on the chair, but the power's out.

I thought so too. Seems I'm conflating two episodes, one is 'Lisa The Tree Hugger' from series 12 where Snake is in a solar powered chair that's taking an age to work, just mildly shocking him. The other is 'The Little Wiggy' from series 9 where Bart and Ralph break into an abandoned prison and accidently re-power an electric chair that Mayor Quimby is due to pretend to use a couple of days after. Think they ring Mr. Burns up mid electrocution and he has the power cut as they're getting it for free.

Rob1969in

Quote from: JamesTC on January 09, 2021, 12:48:37 AMSeason 19 - Episode 3 - Midnight Towboy

As a side note, as I watch the episode I am pondering why we don't see Santa's Little Helper anymore. I adore greyhounds and would love to adopt one at some point in the future. I miss that little guy.

I have only read the first few pages but I wanted to ask a question before continuing -Have you adopted a Greyhound yet?

JamesTC

Quote from: Rob1969in on January 16, 2022, 09:28:11 PMI have only read the first few pages but I wanted to ask a question before continuing -Have you adopted a Greyhound yet?

That is at some point in my far future. Whilst alone, I wouldn't want to adopt one as they suffer from separation anxiety more than any other breed.

Rob1969in

Yes I can vouch for that, I have been adopting ex racers for 30 years best pets in the world, you won't regret it once you take the plunge, good luck .

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Poobum on January 15, 2022, 08:28:35 PMI thought so too. Seems I'm conflating two episodes, one is 'Lisa The Tree Hugger' from series 12 where Snake is in a solar powered chair that's taking an age to work, just mildly shocking him. The other is 'The Little Wiggy' from series 9 where Bart and Ralph break into an abandoned prison and accidently re-power an electric chair that Mayor Quimby is due to pretend to use a couple of days after. Think they ring Mr. Burns up mid electrocution and he has the power cut as they're getting it for free.
There's also the bit in the movie where Dr Hibbert, Chief Wiggum and Apu plead with Mr Burns to share his electricity with the rest of Springfield. Wiggum complains they can't "fry" any of the death row prisoners.

Wadded Beef

Quote from: JamesTC on January 15, 2022, 12:58:40 AMSomething similar. I might be forgetting another one they also specifically did with Snake.

Snake gets the electric chair in the first segment of Treehouse of Horror IX, in which Homer then gets an evil toupee from his hair.

Pink Gregory

You know that episode where Homer becomes an internet rumour-monger and it turns into an extended pastiche of The Prisoner?  (The Computer Wore Menace Shoes)

Could they not not write a conclusion to the initial plot or...?

Wadded Beef

A lot of episodes from around that time have that problem, unfortunately.

JamesTC

The very next episode ends with Otto running in and shouting "surf's up" and all the town going surfing.

Old Nehamkin

Quote from: Wadded Beef on February 06, 2022, 07:14:36 AMA lot of episodes from around that time have that problem, unfortunately.

The first time I remember noticing this issue was the Trouble With Trillions episode that ends with Homer, Burns and Smithers adrift on a raft after being fleeced by Fidel Castro and kicked out of Cuba. There's some dialogue about how Burns plans to bribe the jury when they get back home and he's tried for stealing the trillion dollar bill, then it just goes to credits. Even as a child I remember staring blankly at the screen and thinking "wait, that's not an ending."

I mean, it's not like an episode of the Simpsons is obliged to tie every plot thread up in a neat bow or anything, but that kind of sloppy, shaggy-dog storytelling would have never flown in the earlier seasons when the writers still had enough craft and discipline to actually set up a premise and resolve it in a funny and surprising way within 22 minutes.

Catalogue Trousers

'And they were rescued by...oh...let's say...Moe.'

Petey Pate

Quote from: Catalogue Trousers on February 06, 2022, 12:10:10 PM'And they were rescued by...oh...let's say...Moe.'

That one is somewhat acceptable because the source material they were parodying (Lord of the Flies) also ends on a cop-out. It's also kind of funny that James Earl Jones was brought in just to do that one line of narration.

Once in a while these endings are fine, where they admit that they wrote themselves into a corner, but practically every Scully-era episode ended like this. Another egregious example is from a season 12 episode which glosses over Homer being arrested for kidnapping with this.

idunnosomename

I just read a description of that "Homer runs a daycare" one and it genuinely sounds one of the most thoroughly unpleasant episodes ever

Andy147

Quote from: Old Nehamkin on February 06, 2022, 10:15:38 AMThe first time I remember noticing this issue was the Trouble With Trillions episode that ends with Homer, Burns and Smithers adrift on a raft after being fleeced by Fidel Castro and kicked out of Cuba. There's some dialogue about how Burns plans to bribe the jury when they get back home and he's tried for stealing the trillion dollar bill, then it just goes to credits. Even as a child I remember staring blankly at the screen and thinking "wait, that's not an ending."

A bigger problem with the Trouble With Trillions is the plot:

"Impressed, Johnson reveals to Homer that in 1945, President Harry S. Truman printed a one trillion-dollar bill to help reconstruct post-war Western Europe and enlisted Montgomery Burns to transport the bill. However, it never arrived and the FBI suspects Burns still has it with him. Homer is sent in to investigate."

which seems to have been written by someone who doesn't understand how money, politics, law and indeed basic logic work.

JamesTC

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: idunnosomename on February 06, 2022, 12:55:47 PMI just read a description of that "Homer runs a daycare" one and it genuinely sounds one of the most thoroughly unpleasant episodes ever
At least we got some great Arnie Pye moments. "Arnie - Arnie - how are the children?" "I can't see through metal, Kent!"

JamesTC

Flanders going to a Chris Rock concert believing it is Christian Rock is good.

retsuza

Quote from: Andy147 on February 06, 2022, 02:10:23 PMA bigger problem with the Trouble With Trillions is the plot:

"Impressed, Johnson reveals to Homer that in 1945, President Harry S. Truman printed a one trillion-dollar bill to help reconstruct post-war Western Europe and enlisted Montgomery Burns to transport the bill. However, it never arrived and the FBI suspects Burns still has it with him. Homer is sent in to investigate."

which seems to have been written by someone who doesn't understand how money, politics, law and indeed basic logic work.

Satellite imagery has confirmed the bill is not located on the roof.

retsuza

Was unfortunately reminded of the Elon Musk Simpsons appearance, which is the plot of the episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp8N1SCreyM

a Musk supergenius who comes up with all his own ideas is a pretty interesting take on the real life figure.

The emotion invention and dislike of hugging bits - supposed to be a joke on Musk being autistic? I didn't even know he was until he said so on Saturday Night Live last year, and this Simpsons epsiode is from 2017.

idunnosomename

The character design is just some guy with lines under his eyes

neveragain

A recent episode called 'Pixilated and Scared' is absolutely lovely. It's basically a two-hander between Homer and Marge (also, no B-plot which is something that seems to be happening more) as they survive in the woods after getting lost. Very much about how they work as a longstanding couple and their relationship feels very real and sweet. Best I've seen for ages.

madhair60

haven't seen it but it is obviously rubbish