Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 07:18:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your favourite Kate Bush thing

Started by chocolate teapot, February 27, 2016, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

the science eel

Quote from: idunnosomename on June 22, 2022, 11:21:50 AMHated how they forced me into listening to Caitlin Moran. Fucking Radio 4
what are you supposed to say to such praise except generic "thank you for your support it is very much appreciated". She clearly just didnt want to deal with the substance of it because how can you

aye

Glebe

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 22, 2022, 01:50:54 PM

Thanks for that HG! Kind of surreal hearing an actual new interview with her.

Meanwhile, Christian Bale has stated that KB inspired his role in Thor: Love and Thunder:

Christian Bale reveals the surprise influences behind his terrifying Thor: Love and Thunder villain.

QuoteWhat exactly inspired Bale's take on the character beyond the comics, then? "Mostly hearing Taika's [Waititi, director] thoughts on it," he says. "There's obviously sort of a Nosferatu slight attitude. Taika and I wanted to do a whole dance, which we didn't get to do, but we had all this sort of Kate Bush stuff that we worked at. But I think he just realised he was never going to be allowed to put that in the final film. I would say that the most common thing I was staring at was the Aphex Twin video of 'Come To Daddy'. But I don't even know if that will be in the final film."

idunnosomename

Would you nationalise cloudbusting?!?

Head Gardener

I have quite a lot of Kate on vinyl but this is an oddity I've not seen elsewhere, I doubt it's worth a lot but it's a nice strange(r) thing to have!

just a standard UK pressing of her debut 7" but... with a blank label on the flip, which is Moving

Natnar

Could be an early promo for Wuthering Heights from late 77 before they decided to go with Kite for the b-side? The Japanese single for Moving did have Wuthering Heights for the b-side though.

Head Gardener

sorry you're right it is Kite on the flip of this (just checked) schoolboy error sorry

Head Gardener

badaids

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 22, 2022, 08:14:14 PMshowing off now, another KB jewel

I hope that's not your nutsack in the bottom left hand corner.

(really I hope it is...)

Natnar

Head Gardener

kalowski

She can stay at my house if she needs.

Glebe

She could stay at mine but I've got a (wait for it, wait for it...) - Full House!

Natnar

Running Up That Hill remix used in Stranger Things.

popcorn

Gawsh I really dislike these cinematic "modern" remixes of old songs, all that epic trailerbait. Still happy for Mrs Bush to find a new audience.

Head Gardener

found some more pics from Before The Dawn show

phantom_power

Quote from: popcorn on July 03, 2022, 02:12:56 PMGawsh I really dislike these cinematic "modern" remixes of old songs, all that epic trailerbait. Still happy for Mrs Bush to find a new audience.

I think it works well in this case as it merges the song in with the sound design of the show, and the two aren't a million miles apart to start with.

grainger

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 11:57:37 AMI think it works well in this case as it merges the song in with the sound design of the show, and the two aren't a million miles apart to start with.

Apart from the fact that they're both largely synth-based, they sound nothing alike to me. However, it is appropriate to do a Stranger Things-style remix, to meld the two, so ultimately I agree with you that it works. Also, the Stranger Things soundtrack itself sounds great. It's a good headphones show if you like synths.

Head Gardener

axel2019

I first watched this about 10 years ago, when Kate's xmas special was uploaded to YT. Cover of Roy Harpers 'Another Day'.
Think it is miles better than her other duet with Peter, and probably my favourite KB performance. It helps that i had just got through a miserable divorce when i first heard it.
https://youtu.be/Bvt5YnocRp8

Discussing Hounds of Love track by track:

popcorn

Quote from: Head Gardener on July 04, 2022, 04:56:23 PM

Christ this is even worse than the Stranger Things remix. Just a load of people in a massive room shouting the song.

I hope we're not plunging into a horrible new world where Running Up that Hill becomes a tedious meme like Toto's Africa

badaids

Quote from: popcorn on July 04, 2022, 06:40:20 PMI hope we're not plunging into a horrible new world where Running Up that Hill becomes a tedious meme like Toto's Africa

I worry about this too. Stranger Things approach to the interest in the song has been akin to Partridge pitching to Tony Hayers: People like it, let's kick the fucking arse out if it. They'll be up to it in every series now; cross domain brand synergisation marketing they probably call it.

phantom_power

Quote from: grainger on July 04, 2022, 04:50:03 PMApart from the fact that they're both largely synth-based, they sound nothing alike to me.

I think they both share a certain ethereal quality, and the synths used are both uber-80s in their sound

phantom_power

Quote from: popcorn on July 04, 2022, 06:40:20 PMChrist this is even worse than the Stranger Things remix. Just a load of people in a massive room shouting the song.

That's a bit unfair. There is some arrangement going on there, and there is undeniable power in a load of people in a massive room shouting a song

bgmnts

https://youtu.be/6xckBwPdo1c?t=56

This transition to glam as fuck and ultra expressive face.

popcorn

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 07:46:16 PMThat's a bit unfair. There is some arrangement going on there

It's about as sophisticated an effect as when Robbie Williams lets the crowd sing Angels

bgmnts

Quote from: popcorn on July 04, 2022, 08:26:54 PMIt's about as sophisticated an effect as when Robbie Williams lets the crowd sing Angels

Saying that, watching Freddie Mercury on a stage conducting a crowd to sing and chant with him is always enthralling.