Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:29:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The South Park games [split topic]

Started by Mobius, December 11, 2023, 12:21:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobius

I'm playing South Park: The Stick Of Truth ... which must be one of the best telly videogames ever. Proper RPG, proper funny.

C_Larence

Quote from: Mobius on December 11, 2023, 12:21:49 AMI'm playing South Park: The Stick Of Truth ... which must be one of the best telly videogames ever. Proper RPG, proper funny.

I've had this for ages but never got around to playing it because I've only seen about two episodes of South Park, is it worth playing without having watched the show?

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: C_Larence on December 11, 2023, 06:27:33 AMI've had this for ages but never got around to playing it because I've only seen about two episodes of South Park, is it worth playing without having watched the show?

My girlfriend at the time hadn't really seen much South Park, but she still found it good/funny on its own. Some stuff will probably seem to come out of nowhere if you're unfamiliar with the references though.

Mister Six

Only played The Fractured But Whole, but it's properly, genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. Love it.

Mobius

Quote from: C_Larence on December 11, 2023, 06:27:33 AMI've had this for ages but never got around to playing it because I've only seen about two episodes of South Park, is it worth playing without having watched the show?

i would say so, as long as you are vaguely familiar with south park humour/the characters and then even so, it's probably just funny and a fun game regardless? i would not consider myself the world's biggest south park fan, there's absolutely loads of episodes i haven't seen. there are lots of little nods to bits from episodes some of which i recognise and some i don't.

Quote from: Mister Six on December 11, 2023, 05:01:43 PMOnly played The Fractured But Whole, but it's properly, genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. Love it.

i never actually got round to playing that one, so i did download them both and am doing stick of truth first (which I have NO memory of despite being convinced i'd clocked this back in the day, so that's nice) so yeah i am looking forward to see how the sequel differs!

Mobius

Well I finished Stick Of Truth! It was a lot of fun, although one or two bits are completely censored because Australia is a ridiculous country. Instead you get a picture of a Koala Bear crying and text describing what you are missing e.g. "In this scene you repeatedly sodomize Randy with alien probes" etc.

Now onto The Fractured But Whole, which seems to have a superhero vibe instead of the D&D stuff from Stick Of Truth, and appears to be a little more detailed/RPG like (I notice there's crafting for example)

Mobius

Quote from: Mister Six on December 11, 2023, 05:01:43 PMOnly played The Fractured But Whole, but it's properly, genuinely laugh-out-loud funny. Love it.

Loving this. Wasn't sure about them changing the combat style but I am really liking it now actually. I like how the town is still familiar but bits have changed, and I enjoy the new characters and areas which I assume featured in episodes between this game and the last. The cutscenes, dialogue etc are TV Show quality, genuinely the most I laugh at a videogame, although it helps when you are adapted from a genuinely funny show!

And it's got me going back and watching lots of South Park, which I'm very much enjoying! I have seen most of the popular episodes, but there's a lot I haven't.

Mister Six

A lot of the stuff in the game references episodes I hadn't seen, but I was able to retroactively construct the episode from what you see in the game, like the fancy gentrified shopping area that's gone to rack and ruin.

Some stuff was just delightfully baffling, though, like the Gay Fish.

Elderly Sumo Prophecy

I've just sold a copy of the Dreamcast version of South Park Rally on eBay for £28. I haven't played it for years, but I seem to remember it being a decent enough Mario Kart clone featuring most of the main cast. Seemed to be running at 60 fps too. It's amazing how much Dreamcast games go for nowadays, I also sold Sonic Adventure 2 for £60, so if you've got any knocking around, get them on there.