Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 08:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Got a Nintendo DS in 2024

Started by Ferris, January 10, 2024, 04:29:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Personally I think if you're buying one you might as well get a New 3DS or 2DS XL, since you only need an SD card to hack it and then you also get the 3DS library which fucking bangs. Once it's hacked it's no effort at all to install games. Amazing thing it is.

Memorex MP3

You've a point; I'd say get a 2DS because they're super cheap now (can probably get one for £30?) then gift it away and upgrade to the New 3DS XL if you want a better form factor. New 3DS XL is expensive but the original 3DS is just a frustrating inbetween atm, feels small, a bit fragile and the 3D is dogshit.

Ferris

Quote from: lazyhour on January 13, 2024, 02:31:03 PMGhost Trick didn't last long then. Bet you didn't even meet the pomeranian. :(

It's the next game I'm gonna play, promise!

katzenjammer

Quote from: Memorex MP3 on January 13, 2024, 02:08:01 PMImo DSi XL is the way too go; the larger screen feels more natural these days even though the resolution is the same. If you're at all technical you can do the softmod route and save some money on an r4, worst case scenario you can't figure it out and you just buy the R4 afterwards

If getting an R4 I'd just grab the cheapest working DS Lite off eBay. Get yourself a GBA cart reader in the process

Cheers for this, getting one for €45 on Tuesday that says it has hundreds of games so guessing it has an R4 thing or something. I think you've saved me some bother, was going to buy a non new 3D XL before

Ferris

Playing ghost trick, just met Missile the Pomeranian but the Rube Goldberg type gameplay isn't clicking for me yet.

I'm soldiering on for the story at this point and holding out hope I get into the gameplay more, but it's on thin ice - if it gets on my tits with the "trick" timing business then it'll be metaphorically binned and I'll move on to another of the bazillion games I'm metaphorically sitting on.

Got to be brutal, got 996 games to get through.

Ferris

Did the first 1 and a bit cases of Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney. What a game - knows exactly how silly it is and leans into it. I'll be playing the rest of that at some point.

lazyhour

lazyhour

this cunt clicked with Ghost Trick yet

Ferris

I've been checking out the built-in emulator and am a few hours into a Pokémon Gold GBC campaign.

I'll play your fucking ghost trick when I'm good and fucking ready alright??

madhair60

just play it now you useless arsehole. sorry for calling you a useless arsehole.

Ferris

Tell it to my level 11 Psyduck mate.

McQ

He's got (9)99 games, but Ghost Trick ain't one. Hit me! (Bwah.)

I really do recommend Ghost Trick, though. It's very good. This has been a cautionary tale about the dangers of too much choice, I feel.

McQ

Also, the name of the thread should have been, "I got a Nintendo DS... in 2024??!!??"

TommyTurnips

I used to play a lot of Pokemon when it first came out  in the late 90s but lost interest in gold and silver. I didn't like the new pokemon, they all seemed kind of hacky, like they'd been hurriedly designed to cash in on the fad. So I went in search of a new to me pokemon game. I wanted one that only featured the original 151 pokemon and the answer seems to be fire red and leaf green for the Gameboy Advance and it looks great. It's a remake of red and blue and I'm having a lot of fun playing like it's 1999 again and it looks great on the 3DSXL screen. I really missed having the GBA cartridge slot and it's great to be playing GBA again. As others said, the backwards compatability wasn't removed with the cartridge slot, it was there all along.

C_Larence

If you're emulating you can easily download fan made ROM-hacks of pokémon games, Ash Gray might be up your alley as it's essentially a faithful retelling of the first season of the anime so only has first gen pokémon.

Ferris

Quote from: McQ on January 18, 2024, 09:25:57 AM"I got a Nintendo DS... in 2024??!!??"

Robert Kilroy silk has let himself go

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on January 18, 2024, 01:59:01 PMIf you're emulating you can easily download fan made ROM-hacks of pokémon games, Ash Gray might be up your alley as it's essentially a faithful retelling of the first season of the anime so only has first gen pokémon.

This is actually the game I'm playing! And the reason I'm playing it! I said gold just to make it more approachable for yer journeyman poke-enthusiast.

It's good, but there is definitely a decent amount of cut content and the occasional translating snafu from the original Japanese (?)

C_Larence

Oh that's funny! I have hundreds of the things, if you want I could put them in a google drive or something.

Ferris

Quote from: C_Larence on January 18, 2024, 06:14:05 PMOh that's funny! I have hundreds of the things, if you want I could put them in a google drive or something.

That's really kind of you to offer, but I think I have them all (?) and certainly more than I'll ever have the time to play! Appreciate it though.

I'm on a flight tomorrow without wife and child so will get 4+ hours of blissfully uninterrupted DS time. Honestly looking forward to that more than the actual destination. Cleared my credit card as well so look out, drinks trolley!

Ferris

Quote from: Ferris on January 18, 2024, 05:37:47 PMRobert Kilroy silk has let himself go

Just to point out this is probably the funniest thing I've ever written.

Pink Gregory

sudowoodo is a great guy, it's a pokemon that pretends to be a tree and it's called 'pseudo-wood'

madhair60

having access to the DS library and choosing to play fucking Pokemon over Ghost Trick is a total cunt move

that said I am interested in buying a DSi XL now for my own foray into the recent past

Ferris

I don't even like Pokémon, I'm just doing it to annoy madhair

Another point to ferris

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

lazyhour

Pokemon is definitely for babies and paedophilea, of that there can be no doubt.

Ghost Trick, on the other hand...

Midas

TommyTurnips

Quote from: C_Larence on January 18, 2024, 01:59:01 PMIf you're emulating you can easily download fan made ROM-hacks of pokémon games, Ash Gray might be up your alley as it's essentially a faithful retelling of the first season of the anime so only has first gen pokémon.

I downloaded ash gray from about six or seven different sites. I pasted the .gba file into the gba folder each time. None of them worked. Gave up.

Midas

Is that on 3DS? I don't think GBA ROMs work (other than the ten 3DS Ambassador Program ones)

(Might be wrong)

madhair60

yeah you will need TwilightMenu or to create a Virtual Console injector for the game

alternatively you could play something good?

TommyTurnips

Quote from: Midas on January 19, 2024, 02:48:03 AMIs that on 3DS? I don't think GBA ROMs work (other than the ten 3DS Ambassador Program ones)

(Might be wrong)

Yes it's a 3DSXL. All the other GBA games work but it seems rom hacks don't.