Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:43:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Nathan Barley news, and more Music Shows

Started by Neil, May 02, 2004, 01:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

How optimistic are you about "Nathan Barley"

Not very, Morris has been treading water for years now
38 (23.5%)
It's bound to be great, he's a genius blah blah
30 (18.5%)
A TVGoHome spin-off? It's bound to be shit.
9 (5.6%)
Dunno.
67 (41.4%)
Err, so when is he going back to GLR style radio stuff again?
18 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 162

Voting closed: May 02, 2004, 01:30:31 PM

Neil

Firstly, two more hidden extras have been found on the TDT DVD, here you are:

Quote from: "James"
Peter O and Morris chat: Disc 1 go to episode select menu press 'top menu' button on your remote to go back to main menu sit and wait for the menu to run through once or twice the audio should start playing over the top over the menus.

Quote from: "Flameboy"
Disc 1, "Select Episode". Keep pressing Right until you reach the episode 5 menu, then press Left to go back to the episode 4 menu. Press Right again, and when you see "7" and Doon says "7's a little younger", press 7. You'll see the episode 5 menu again, and soon a picture of Collatallie Sisters will come up and you'll hear Collatallie interviewing Gareth Whitehall.

We'll gather them all together and stick a guide on the TDT page on this site soon!  It seems that a number of people have been having troubles with episode 3, due to the hidden AV Describers.  On a lot of players, this episode stutters about, apparently because of "bad mastering due to chapter points in a multiple angle-endowed piece being mastered less than two minutes away from each other."  It's a shame that this episode has been spoiled for so many people by such a terrible pointless extra.  

Now then, we've got 3 more Music Shows today, thanks once again to Steve Bass2rez for recording and encoding these!  The new episodes are number 4, 9 and 19.  Excellent shows those, comprising baby theft, Whale-eating, and tortoise autographing.  

Oh, and if you hunt around in this section of the Image Archive, you'll find scans of a (terribly inaccurate) article in Kerrang about Morris, along with a Guardian Guide piece about The Day Today.  There's also a snippet from The Daily Mail which states that the Nathan Barley sitcom has undergone a number of changes, incluoding being retitled as "Box Of Slices."  (Although the working title is actually Box of Slice)

With regards to the Nathan Barley show, we've got some great info now to share with you.  Firstly, there was a rumour that Morris' input into the show would be minimal, but an anonymous source has told us that Brooker and Morris have written the series together, and that Chris directed the pilot.  No idea if he's directing the series though.  Regards the pilot, apparently The Divine David and Julian Barrett (from The Boosh) are in it.  Um....

Here's some more information about the show, many thanks to Simon for this.

Quote from: "Simon"
Hello, was at a party in London and met a guy from Shynola, the graphics/music vid people. Morris has got them to do some techie stuff for the new show. He described a scene where the central character sees someone who has got paint on his head accidentally, it is misinterpreted as a new fashion by the Hoxtonites and a few of them get it. Does sound a bit more trad doesn't it?
They had to do graphics for a scene in a hairdressers which sounds pretty funny. He sits, not in front of a mirror, but a plasma screen surrounded by webcams. The image of the haircut is broadcast via the internet back to the screen, showing him what a mirror would. The barber cuts his hair with an advanced glove that shows digital info such as "snip stats."

That does actually sound pretty good!  Thanks again to Simon and the anonymous chap for the info there, if you have any more then please don't hesitate to get in touch with us.

Finally, we've put together a new section of the site called "Morris Mirrors."  It's an archive of the stuff Morris has done on the web over the last few years.  If you happen to have backups of the various versions of the Radio 1 Blue Jam sites, then please get in touch so we can put those up there in a future update.  Thanks.

Frinky

That scene sounds fairly encouraging, yes. I'm personally very keen on seeing this - I actually enjoy the TVGH content (the internet stuff, anyway). My worry was how the humour would actually come accross - if Morris has a bigger role in this - then maybe it mightn't be as cringeworth as I'd assumed it might be. A lot more excited about it now!

Neil

Damn!  I forgot to mention the new Blue Jam Live thing, and I'm running out the door now...here's the details anyway:

>I have a little announcement for Morris fans that I
>thought that you might like to use on the site
>somewhere - wanted to buzz you info about it first.
>
>There is a one-off performance of Blue Jam at the
>Chapter Arts Centre in Cardiff on Weds 5 May, in the
>Everyman Clubroom at 8pm until apx 9.30.
>
>We are performing every monologue from all 3 series,
>with a couple of minor alterations (the final "Susie"
>one in series 3 has had names altered for continuity
>and we have chopped "Rothko" for time constraints).
>Time permitting, we are also interspersing the
>monologues with Michael A St.John's Dance News, which
>should be interesting :-)
>
>The BBC have been asked whether reproduction of the
>material is OK and they have yet to respond, so all of
>this is "BBC permitting", but hopefully it should all
>go ahead as planned.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Ah, another great update Neil, will get those Music Shows tonight. I am fairly optimistic about the new show, I'm not a TVGH fan but as long as Morris is responsible for a lot of the writing and the show isn't dark I am looking forward to it. That other news about the crew having to look away or something because what was happening was so disturbing must have been bollocks then which is good. That said I voted with when is Morris going back to radio because that's his best work and a new GLR-style show would be wonderful.

Purple Tentacle

Another very encouraging update, cheers!

Just a suggestion though... could there be a "quietly optimistic, I'll judge it when it's on" option on the poll?

It must be all the sun and crop tops making me feel all happy and smiley, I'm sure it'll pass.

Frinky

Yeah, "quietly optimistic" is the one I'd vote for too. I think there's loads of potential in the NB character - but only in the way that becuase of the way he's presented in limited amounts in TVGH, he kind of melds with people you know in your head (or at least, this is the case with me), so it could that the character is entirely different to how I expect it.

How do you forsee this going? Slightly ludicrous lampooning, or a more serious, sneering attitude towards the NB-esque types?

Ambient Sheep

Thirded on the "quietly optimistic, I'll judge when it's on" option.

Regarding that Independent article in the Image Archive, I'm fascinated to see that Morris & Iannucci attended a news-making course which, from the sounds of it, was identical to the one in the OU's News Stories.  There has to be a connection there somewhere...

fanny splendid

Yes, the new info makes me feel a lot more upbeat about NB.

Cheers for the new radio shows, I will download forthwith.

A feckless Dreg

Dunno if ye have seen it yet but there is a brilliant hidden extra in the mini-news on disc 2.its a piss-take/cut up version of bush's address to the union which morris or whoever has chopped up to make him look as stupid as he really is!go to the fourth mini-news and then press up on the remote and a red dot appears in the top left-press enter and it starts. enjoy!

Darrell

Quote from: "A feckless Dreg"Dunno if ye have seen it yet but there is a brilliant hidden extra in the mini-news on disc 2.its a piss-take/cut up version of bush's address to the union which morris or whoever has chopped up to make him look as stupid as he really is!go to the fourth mini-news and then press up on the remote and a red dot appears in the top left-press enter and it starts. enjoy!

It's fackin jeenius!!

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Box of Slices (or whatever it'll be called.  I suspect the title will change three or four times before going back to Box of Slices) sounds reasonably promising. I was hoping that CM might actually be in it; bizarrely, I thought be was going to play Nathan Barley himself, as CM can do spewing vitriol and contempt very well.

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what is that scan from Select in the image archive? I seem to remember that picture in its original state, and with a close-up of CM, being on here ages ago.

dan dirty ape

I'm 'quietly optimistic' too, despite the Nathan Barley character being a bit of a one joke forum for Brooker's love of his own sweary bile. Still no idea whether Barley's life and times is the sole theme of the show or just one section. The 'box of slices' title perhaps indicates the latter.

Nearly Annually

I'm a Dunno.

Hey Neil, has this R1 show #4 been up before? I swear I've ... ah, come to think of it, it was just the 2Untalented bits you had up before wasn't it. Anyway, continuing thanks to yourself and bass2rez for those - my one hour lunchbreaks are much lifted. I've just sent them all on CDs to that download technocripple PLC, so if they crop up on eBum with the same missing ones missing, you know where to send the boys round.

Edit: hehehehe, R1 #9 - shiny flappy meaty creatures / smiling jappy people, Morris playing Deep Purple's "Black Knight" riff over that Astral Plane song on his spacky keyboard. Completely brilliant. "Dunno" does look rather optimistic doesn't it. Still, gotta be positive...

Darrell

Quote from: "dan dirty ape"Still no idea whether Barley's life and times is the sole theme of the show or just one section. The 'box of slices' title perhaps indicates the latter.

Please hope it's this - there's a much better chance of it being good if it's a Ripping Yarns/Coogan's Run/That Peter Kay Thing-style anthology series.

Awww, I really want that to happen now.

LazyRats

Darrell

Quote from: "LazyRats"The Divine David! Fab, he's class.

You're kidding?! If he went any further up his own arse he would be medically a stool.

LazyRats

He's not up his arse, silly. He's playing a character.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Rats

hehe, no no no, he's fab, I love him unt it'll be nice to see him back on channel 4 where he belongs.

Godzilla Bankrolls

Hoogstraten'sSmilingUlcer

Sherringford Hovis

Voted 'genius, blah, blah'

As a meeja hoor myself who has had the misfortune of briefly doing production work on mag titles like Nowbiter, even if the TV incarnation is shit, I will find much to chortle at.

Oliver Padlock

I have been an extra on the shooting of this, you needn't worry - it's absolutely hilarious.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Oliver Padlock

I can tell you that Chris Morris is Directing, which I presume you know.  It features a cast of unknown [to me] actors with the odd minor exception.  I refuse to divulge any more specifics as I will be shot in the legs for doing so.  But rest assured, it absolutely destroys the benders in Shoreditch with unerring accuracy, and maximum offence.  The Daily Mail will put a bounty on his head when this is broadcast.

A Passing Turk Slipper

Thanks. I'm quite looking forward to this now.

Oliver Padlock

You should be, as should everyone else.  I imagine it will be more like Catterick than My Wrongs.

Neil

Quote from: "Oliver Padlock"I can tell you that Chris Morris is Directing, which I presume you know.  It features a cast of unknown [to me] actors with the odd minor exception.  I refuse to divulge any more specifics as I will be shot in the legs for doing so.

No you won't.  Noone knows who you are, so if you have more info then why not tell us?  Why is there this silly secrecy?  It's not a show like Brass Eye where details being leaked could endanger the whole thing, it's a sitcom, and you're posting anonymously on the web with no way of people finding out who you are.  

QuoteBut rest assured, it absolutely destroys the benders in Shoreditch with unerring accuracy, and maximum offence.  The Daily Mail will put a bounty on his head when this is broadcast.

Why would the Daily Mail?  Indeed, why should any of us care about the inhabitatns of Shoreditch?

Oliver Padlock

I don't want to give anything away [not that I really know anything] because I have a friend involved in the making of it.  I can only assume it is extremely secretive for the same reason as the Daily Mail and their like will come in their pants with misguided shock ; the amount of obscene and inflamatory content.  Which from the brief view I've had, is as funny as fuck.