Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 04:58:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Four Lions Premieres at the Sundance Film Festival

Started by Neil, February 08, 2010, 03:15:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

Much news, I'm going to collect all the info that's been posted to Comedy Chat over the last while. 

Firstly, Four Lions premiered at the Sundance Film Festival on Saturday, the 23rd of January 2010 - you can see the full list of screenings at that link, and Warp also have an official site.  The first clip of the film surfaced, courtesy of The Guardian, here's an embeddable YouTube version if you haven't yet seen it, although the Guardian link is better quality:

It's an excellent clip and certainly bodes well for Four Lions.  The performances and jokes are obviously very good, and certainly appear to be operating at a much higher level than those in Nathan Barley.  Nigel Lindsay, it's been pointed out, was actually briefly in Brass Eye as Peacecap Johnson, and also appears in the excellent The Armando Iannucci Shows. 

Morris has been out and about to promote Four Lions, and there have already been a huge amount of press reviews and interest generated ahead of it's UK screenings in May.  Be warned that many of the reviews feature huge, hideous spoilers!  There's a full list scattered throughout this forum thread (reviews start from here, and weirdbeard has mostly parsed them for spoilery content, so thanks to him).  I'll start archiving them in the Morris Articles section of the site, but in the meantime I'll pick out some of the most important for you.

Firstly, this has Morris answering questions at Sundance, this is probably the first non-spoilery review, and there's a bunch of great pics at gettyimages. Film4.com have diary updates from Four Lions producer Mark Herbert at the Sundance film festival, and The Guardian features similar content from co-writers Sam Bain and Jesse Armstrong

Most excitingly of all, is that Morris did a podcast skype interview with movie site GreenCine, you can read and post reactions in this thread.  It's an excellent interview, and answers a lot of questions I was personally interested in.  Similarily, you might also like to listen to the recent Radio 4 profile, we have a download of that courtesy of joeyzaza, and you can follow the thread as well

Mentioned in that discussion, and in the profile itself, is the forthcoming book about Chris Morris written by "Ginger Geezer: The Life Of Vivian Stanshall" author Lucian Randall.  It's going to be called "Disgusting Bliss: The Brass Eye Of Chris Morris", and you can have a look at the cover, or ask Lucian questions, in this thread.  Release date is the 1st April. 

As an interesting coincidence, forum poster geeef passed on a GLR show from April Fools day 1991, which has the Trevor Dann prank call mentioned in the R4 profile.  You can download that from the CaB megaupload account, as kindly managed by sirhenry.  Thanks to geeef and his friend for encoding and supplying that, and to weirdbeard for the accompanying episode guide.  If all that fails, then try watching The Persuasionists.

An tSaoi

Ooh, I like it. A poster means we're edging ever closer to being able to see it in a normal cinema.

Glebe

Fawwaz

Wow that's a brilliant trailer. Really looking forward to this. When you hear 'Chris Morris' and 'Suicide Bombers' you think it's gonna be a really dark affair like Jam, but instead he seems to have made it really upbeat and silly just like he said he would.

I'm glad it's not going to be like, po-faced and that. For a few years I thought he was navel-gazing so it's good to see him putting an effort into making something that looks fun to watch.

I was laughing nearly right from the beginning which is a good sign. I love the idea of
Spoiler alert
a Jihadist starting his video with 'Ey up'
[close]
so that won me over straight away. In fact that whole first line is packed with jokes.
Spoiler alert
Kafir is an Islamic term for Unbeliever, so when he says 'you unbelievin' kafir bastards...' his sentence is completely redundant.
[close]
A lot of people wouldn't pick up on stuff like that so it just goes to show that Chris Morris has really done his homework. I don't think he's got anything to worry about offending the Muslim community when he's put this much thought into it.

Speaking of offense, do you reckon he made one of them white so he wouldn't be accused of racism? Or just so we could have a laugh at one of them being called Barry?

ThickAndCreamy

Quote from: Fawwaz on March 24, 2010, 07:01:23 PM
Speaking of offense, do you reckon he made one of them white so he wouldn't be accused of racism? Or just so we could have a laugh at one of them being called Barry?
Ahem... and *cough*

I hate the idea of everyone think all terrorists are sun tanned with beards and evil stares. Some of them are rather cute, white and Irish, American, British etc.

Fawwaz

"I hate the idea of everyone think all terrorists are sun tanned with beards and evil stares. Some of them are rather cute, white and Irish, American, British etc."

Well of course. I wasn't suggesting that all terrorists are of Arab descent (I'm 'brown' and a Muslim myself). I just wonder why CM made the very conscious decision of including an 'indigenous British' convert. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a very nice touch, I just want to understand his exact motivations. Is he challenging people's notions of what a terrorist looks like? Or simply covering his back to stop idiots interpreting the film as being racist? It's not some sort of prejudice on my account, just curiosity.

Entropy Balsmalch

Last chance for anyone who wants to bag my spare ticket for the 6 o'clock showing in Bradford today - I will be unable to access the internet from around 12 ish, so won't be able to pick up any PMs.

Notlob

Fawwaz  - I think it's a simple case of him reflecting the reality of the situation. There are a few very high profile white converts who become far too over-zealous and sometimes downright dangerous. It feel right for the movie, and if it wasn't represented it wouldn't be racism as such, but an incomplete picture of what's happening.

rudi

See also his anecdote about the BNP member who accidentally ended up converting.

Glebe

There's a little video interview snippet with Morris over at Empire. Click on Empire Video Diary: Week 3.