Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:06:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

ASYLUM (pre-Spaced Simon Pegg vehicle)

Started by Silver SurferGhost, February 08, 2004, 02:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver SurferGhost

Let me start by saying I know almost nothing about this programme and have never seen it mentioned here
(although I dare say someone will prove me wrong).
It was allegedly on the Paramount channel around 1996/97, and featured some of the Spaced cast
as well as starring Simon Pegg as a bloke mistakenly shoved in an insane asylum.
I'm told it also had Julian Dutton in it and I'm assured it was quite good
(although the bugger who tells me so never bothered to tape it).

Basically I'm asking if anyone is familiar with it and if it's worth "getting hold of",
or is my informant talking out of his chuff?
I quite liked Spaced, and Asylum also apparently regularly featured a certain band what I like,
so if any of you know of it, I'd quite like to hear your opinions/comparisons.

Thank you very glad.

ie I want to know if it's another Darkplace or not

Ben Ordinary

For what its worth, I quite liked it at the time. The comedy varied a lot because obviously there were many different comedians involved. I have just the one clip of it  on a video somewhere and its of David Devant and His Spirit Wife - the house band so to speak - doing the near-hit 'Ginger'. When I have time, I'll try get this online somehow.

I recall it and I recall it being shit. And that was in my pre-c&b days, before I'd learned the virtues of comedy snobbery, so if I thought it was shit then it must have r-e-a-l-l-y been shit. Simon Pegg went through a lot of crap before he became acceptable didn't he?

butnut

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"Simon Pegg went through a lot of crap before he became acceptable didn't he?

Yes - and there still seem to be people here who still dislike him. If anyone's 50% responsible for Spaced, then I'm willing to overlook the shit he had to do to get there. No-one hated the Pythons for all the shit stuff they did that often gets forgotten. (I'm thinking of that Viking film here, before anyone gets all arsey. I love the Pythons - honest!)

Darrell

Quote from: "butnut"I'm thinking of that Viking film here

Oi, I really like that!

butnut

Quote from: "Darrell"

Oi, I really like that!

<camp voice> I just knew you would!

Silver SurferGhost

Brilliant, four answers and a ruck, anybody'd think this was GB (or GD).:oops, wink:
So, one for and one against.

Cheers Ben, yes it was Devant I was wibbling on about.
Munday's, the shittiness, was that a script thing or a production thing as I heard it looked cheap.

Am I right about the premise though, and who else was in it?

Quote from: "butnut"

Oi, I really like that!

<camp voice> I just knew you would!

Do you mean Erik The Viking? I thought that was fab! The movie and the book (and even the text based adventure game on the specrum which was rivalled only by the hobbit as far as I'm concerned - never finished the bastard though)

My memory of asylum isnt great silver, i recall it only because i remember seeing trailers for it, thinking it looked cool and then watching one episode and never returning to it.

And if we're going to be singing peggs praises we should sing them for his roles in Big Train first and foremost if you ask me, spaced second. ;o)

butnut

Shit. I thought I was fairly safe in not liking 'Eric the Viking' - oh well. There must be something that the Python's have done that you haven't liked. Fierce Creatures?

Silver SurferGhost

Quote from: "butnut"Fierce Creatures?
Uh-oh.
Run, butnut, run!

Darrell

I was watching that today in fact! Perfectly likeable little film.

butnut

Fair enough - I've only seen it once and can only dimly remember it. Maybe I'll gove it another go. And while I don't want to completly hi-jack this thread, you (and I'm using that in the plural-vous-way) haven't answered my question. Is there anything by the Python boys that you think is really bad?

Darrell

Anything Idle or Cleese have done in the last five years is particularly bald.

Fair enough - I've only seen it once and can only dimly remember it. Maybe I'll gove it another go. And while I don't want to completly hi-jack this thread, you (and I'm using that in the plural-vous-way) haven't answered my question. Is there anything by the Python boys that you think is really bad?

I think you're asking darrel rather than me aren't you? But if it's an open question then let me state again that I really dislike flying circus.

Oh and Jabberwocky.

butnut

Quote from: "Munday's Chylde"

I think you're asking darrel rather than me aren't you? But if it's an open question then let me state again that I really dislike flying circus.

Oh and Jabberwocky.

No - it was meant as an open question.

Are you serious - you don't like the circus? I'm sure you've fought this out before and this probably isn't the right thread for a python fight.

I've never seen the whole of Jabberwocky - but I liked the look of the little bits I did see.

Are you serious - you don't like the circus? I'm sure you've fought this out before and this probably isn't the right thread for a python fight.

I've never seen the whole of Jabberwocky - but I liked the look of the little bits I did see.

No I've never had to fight it out, what I have said before is I wouldn't dream of coming along and suggesting an out and out influential classic beloved by millions is shite - because it stands to reason that it isn't shite and that I'm just wrong, so there's nothing to fight over really. For some reason I just haven't liked python type humour from the age of around 15 upwards (and I include all zany shouty broken comedy in that - see also spike milligan and co) choosing instead to prefer straight humour (the office etc) or zany off the wall comedy accompanied by structured plots (python films for example, or father ted) or bizarre comedy played straight (the day today et al)- I don't know why this is or why there are exceptions to the rule (reeves and mortimers sketch shows) but that be the way it is.

Jabberwocky though I just found dull.

Life Of Brian is one of my favourite movies of all time and one I can never tire of.

I guess there are no rules to this kind of thing...

Mister Six

Just to get back to Asylum - I'm voting it as shit. I was only a wee nipper at the time, but I recall being generally disgusted by the "ha ha, that bloke's got MS" jokes (literally - something like "look at Zebedee over there!" *canned laughter*).

Perhaps I was just doing that annoying thing of being disgusted on the part of a minority I'm not a member of, though.

Jemble Fred

A pal o mine rooted out an old video of We Know Where You Live - the Channel 5 show with Pegg, Sanjeev 'Do you wanna know all about me?' Baskhar, Fiona Allen I think, and other people I can't remember. It was 'the Very Best Of', and half of it was staggeringly good, especially Simon Pegg. The other half was eye-meltingly awful though.

Silver SurferGhost

Ta for your opinion there Funk, er, Mister Six :wink:
Nah, I'm not much of one for the spaccy/mental jokes myself either, which was one of the reasons
I asked the question (as I thought it might be full of them).

I remember We Know Where You Live too, I was one of those who stuck with it through it's interminable run
waiting for it to improve. It had it's moments, but I thought they were very few and far between.

Mister Six

Curses, my cunning disguise is ruined!

Luckily Funk is another cunning disguise.