Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 11:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Vinyl Finds

Started by Head Gardener, March 12, 2013, 05:50:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Head Gardener

Rich Uncle Skeleton

what a great find! nice one

Malcy

Quote from: Rich Uncle Skeleton on December 30, 2021, 10:00:03 AMWasn't in Frome was it?? Saw the same sort of display the other week, very strange

Glasgow somewhere i think.

Good to see you get a bit of recognition for your digging Head Gardener. Was very drunk and have an issue with the Daily Record so hope I didn't come across dismissive or anything in my last post.

Head Gardener

Quote from: Malcy on December 30, 2021, 06:14:00 PMGood to see you get a bit of recognition for your digging Head Gardener. Was very drunk and have an issue with the Daily Record so hope I didn't come across dismissive or anything in my last post.

haha, not at all, I mentioned the Daily Record to my missus and she said, Daily Record? aww that shite! all good publicity really whatever the press

Malcy

Quote from: Head Gardener on December 30, 2021, 07:07:46 PMhaha, not at all, I mentioned the Daily Record to my missus and she said, Daily Record? aww that shite! all good publicity really whatever the press

Yeah that's it. Wish someone would run a feature on my mad finds!  Especially if it paid for a few more records! Also you look familiar.

Head Gardener

A mixed bag of 7"s albums and flexis have found their way into my racks over the festive period. I found most of these in one of those vintage shops that have different stalls selling old stuff, the return of the new year auctions will hopefully be turning up more of those pesky round things.

A stereo test record I'd not seen before from the 60's released on Mecca Records from Lancashire.

Very nice double compilation that collects the bands singles on the 1st disc and the whole of their classic Odessey and Oracle on the 2nd.

Unusual early 70's private pressing featuring an awful lot of kids singing pensioners ragtime and vaudeville songs.

London based travel agents promotional flexi from 1964

Ex-Butlins Redcoats fronted covers band, green and nicely signed which is probably worth more to their mothers than record collectors.

Набор двойных дисков, выпущенный Управлением по туризму СССР в 1971 году.

Promo for an Australian trucking company sung by Bruce Woodley founder of 60's pop-folk band The Seekers, the instrumental version on the flip is quite catchy.

It's hard to go into any charity shops here in Scotland without finding irresistible singles.

I probably prefer the Canned Heat version but this has a kinda rustic tambourine banging charm

Head Gardener

the fuckers gone viral, it's in The Express and today's copy of The Sun!

Today's Yorkshire Post as well (sorry about the poor quality, I'm on my phone).

Head Gardener

Quote from: xxxx xxx x xxx on January 11, 2022, 07:28:13 PMToday's Yorkshire Post as well (sorry about the poor quality, I'm on my phone).

haha, excellent thank you - the story was picked up by a news agency so it's all over the place now

Head Gardener

These are probably the best of the albums and singles I decided to keep out of the auction and charity shop finds in January.

The great Eric Sykes & Hattie Jacques made their only album of songs and sketches in 1962.

I took a punt on this as I liked it's handmade sleeve, turned out to be a very limited private pressing (500 copies) of a band doing their own pretty good take on The Who's rock opera.

I have several AiW records but had not come across this American one before, I dig the sleeve.

Another one I picked up for it's sleeve was this 1972 promo album teaching new employees of the optician chain Dolland & Aitchison how to sell specs.

I won this in the same auction lot that had what turned out to have the 1907 football 78rpm lurking at the back of the box, £6 well spent.

A mid 60's folk singer I had not heard of before, her version of Brown Girl In The Ring has different lyrics to the Boney M version we know.

Really nice chilled out Jazz on Soul Note that was only released on vinyl in Italy.

This was a £2 charity shop find with a whole bunch of their singles at 50p a pop and it's near mint!

Canadian stereo sampler from 1961 that has many helpings of cheese.

1960 protest folk EP which it must be one of the earliest records to feature the ban the bomb symbol on it's cover.

New Zealand EP from 1967

Head Gardener

Second hand albums I have bought recently

US compilation of Bell artists, great old phone spinning wheel matching artist to their track

German double compilation of the 70's US harmony group.

Late 60's Scottish family folk - then 12 year old blonde haired Russell on the mandolin is still making music today under the name Other

This country rock group released this collection of covers in the mid 1970's, also featured a pre-Liverpool FC player in their ranks*

*maybe

Phil Collins may not have required a jacket for his record, but this bluesman didn't even need his surname on his.

Great 3rd album from the hard rocking blues band.

Head Gardener

I had a lovely find recently in a box of old 78's, initially I thought these were just childrens books but upon further inspection discovered they included 3 x 6" 78rpm discs inside which tell the tales within the beautifully illustrated pages. They were made in America just after the war but these 2 copies date from 1920, they are very cute wee things and I'd never come across copies before and there is more info on their history here:
http://www.littlewonderrecords.com/bubble-book-history.html

Head Gardener

Nothing much turning up at the car boots yet but I have picked up a few odds & ends here and there, as I do.

If my mum collected records (which unfortunately she doesn't) I could have got away with giving her a record which combined a bunch of centrefold pop-up flowers for Mothers Day in one go!

Solo album by the Doors keyboard player, has good stoned jazz mid 70's vibes and reminded me of Spirit's great album Farther Along

I knew nothing about this Swiss pressing but was pleasantly surprised

Nice UK original pressing of Noel's last album of the 60's - spookily I have had a comp of his on in the car this week too

Local bands playing in a local hotel and doing some nice cover versions including a pretty good stab at Stevie Wonder's Superstition - nice touch of a promo hand stamp on the rear.

Another local band of merry troopers not quite so funky with their covers selection.

I've had a UK reissue of this for years but finally came across this sweet US original, such great sleeve art by Robert Crumb.

It took me a second glance to realise the cars spell out the title of this 1970 album of motor related tunes some of which were also issued as EP's the same year.

Head Gardener

I have a stall here in Northampton on Saturday - I have LOADS of fresh (cheap) vinyl so get there early before the dealers clear me out!

Head Gardener

Seven inch finds in the last few weeks

I came across the city rivals Dundee Utd's record last year and now I have their arch enemies only single release too, woo and indeed hoo(ts)!

Original UK copy of the classic tune which only hit UK charts at #30 first time around, but finally broke the Top 20 another 20 years later.

Freebie disc demonstrating the sound of Bush electronics, it's certainly BIG and also came with a personally signed letter to the previous owner.

Soft Psychedelic disc I'd not seen/heard of before but their name caught my eye

Early single by one of my fave folk bands, I don't think it originally came in this titled sleeve as that belonged to their debut 7" but it's still very nice.

The first release on Stiff Records in it's original sleeve turned up in an auction lot of mostly 60's records.

In the same box was this debut disc by Bill Nelson's brilliant band, great tag line above their name too.

Sadly no picture sleeve for this TV theme but a curiously stamped paper sleeve.

I found several Reggae singles in a charity shop on a recent trip to England including these three.

Great one off single produced by Vangelis, no relation to the Disco band with the same name.

Alan Partridge's fave flexi featuring the very best of The Beatles.

Neomod

Quote from: Head Gardener on March 26, 2022, 07:43:54 PM

Local bands playing in a local hotel and doing some nice cover versions including a pretty good stab at Stevie Wonder's Superstition - nice touch of a promo hand stamp on the rear.

Blimey, was record production so cheap back in the day that hotels could release their own LP's!

Apparently a 'Best Western' now.

Head Gardener

Bits & bobs found on a recent trip down south

Best find was this album I'd only ever seen up on the wall of high end dealers at record fairs so was very pleased to finally find my own copy for less than a pint.

I love the gatefold opening sleeve and the care and attention that's gone into the inner sleeve and beautiful red vinyl disc (in her shade of lipstick also with her image on the labels) shows that Pye really pushed the boat out in promoting the star in 1960 but despite a handful of singles this turned out to be her only album.

A beautiful album of finely played classical guitar from 1973.

Not quite as pretty but certainly intriguing is this accordian collection which includes covers of themes to Dr. Who, Star Wars and Telstar - I'd hazard a guess ALL copies of this are signed too.

Sadly not signed but still featuring the hellfire & brimstone you'd expect from the Reverend Ian Paisley on this Irish release from 1970, features morning and evening services across 2 albums.

A superb 3 x album set featuring pristine recordings of music from the Columbia Records 1920's archive.

Not sure if I'll be giving learning Russian a go but if I ever did this 3 x album set from 1979 is one place to start.

In the same box as the language albums was this curio from early 70's BBC children's TV

An odd record which I couldn't resist at 20p to be honest was this incredibly depressing Rhodesian air crash commemorative single, the description of the events on the back is pretty grim.

For reasons I will never know this much more upbeat 7" was in the same box.

Malcy

I love seeing the random stuff you find. I keep meaning to post the stuff I've been finding and looking for.

Haven't been able to listen to any vinyl in over a month now due to technical issues. It got to the stage where I considered just selling it all.

Head Gardener

I went to a fair in Sheffield recently, picked all these up cheap, albums were £3 or 2 x fiver and the singles all 50p, I had to dig deep though

Good condition for a first US pressing, will probably end up trading it on for a nice ring or something.

Some great jingles on this double album, there is a fascinating track where the DJ describes how their ship has been boarded by pirates and is on fire and going down!

Groovy covers of Syd's solo & Pink Floyd songs.

Great UK demo with 2 classic Caravan songs, Golf Girl is on the flip.

Glyn is probably better known for his production skills, he featured heavily in the recent Beatles Get Back series, this single was given away as a promo
when you purchased a pair of Westcot Jeans in the 60's, though I have no idea what the the 6.6.6.6.6... thing at the bottom of the label is.

I don't think I've ever come across a 7" with such accurate timings for a record before, Juice promotion sure knew how to mess up a sleeve, it didn't help as the record was pretty wet.

A lovely free 7" gift after a trip around the Norwegian Fjords.

An OU course in chilling out, I'm in!

Head Gardener

I discovered this odd label error on one of my copies of Sgt Pepper earlier, I am aware that this extra dot after IN U.K. existed on some other Beatles albums but I saw it mentioned on a forum, checked my stereo Pepper and lordy be I have one with the extra dot! I have mono copies too but this dot error seems to be exclusive to some early UK stereo pressings.

with(in) dot

without dot

Head Gardener

guy at the car boot this morning had a box in his trunk full of punk singles including this "signed" Holidays in the Sun - despite his certificate of authenticity I wasn't convinced, was I wrong to skip on it? he'll be back there in 2 weeks, and no I didn't ask him how much it was as I was picking up dodgy vibes

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Don't blame you, that " Sid Vicious" signature's handwriting looks far too neat.

Head Gardener

it's occured to me Sharpies were not around at the time too

SpiderChrist

Quote from: Head Gardener on June 03, 2022, 12:07:32 PMI discovered this odd label error on one of my copies of Sgt Pepper earlier, I am aware that this extra dot after IN U.K. existed on some other Beatles albums but I saw it mentioned on a forum, checked my stereo Pepper and lordy be I have one with the extra dot! I have mono copies too but this dot error seems to be exclusive to some early UK stereo pressings.

with(in) dot

without dot

Just checked my mono copy and it has the same dots. I'll get a photo uploaded.

Head Gardener

Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 19, 2022, 07:31:07 PMJust checked my mono copy and it has the same dots. I'll get a photo uploaded.

don't you go photocopying an extra dot in now ;)

SpiderChrist

Ha!

https://imgur.com/jUNiPht

Been a bit of a doofus about embedding images - hope this link works.

SpiderChrist

SpiderChrist

Never heard of this extra dot thing before, I must confess.

Head Gardener

nice one SpiderChrist you have a rare one there, I had combed the Beatles forums about it and there wasn't a mono but then when I did a search on Gripsweat came up with one, so it's worth a few quid the site is excellent for looking up values too and is updated every morning with the previous days rarest stuff sold on the bay.
For example yesterday an ELO/Olivia Newton John 10" picture disc went for over 8 grand!

Malcy

Wasn't aware of Gripsweat before. Just looked up a vinyl I've been after for years but it only ever appears on sale when I'm skint at £100-300 and one sold a couple of weeks ago for £15. 15 bloody quid.