Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,184
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 739
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:38:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Toast of London

Started by Subtle Mocking, October 20, 2013, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

New Arthur Matthews/Matt Berry vehicle on Channel 4, worryingly hidden away in the graveyard slot. Anyone else watching?

Hymenoptera

I dunno about "watching" it, but it's on, and I'm in the room, and I've not turned it off yet. It's not raised a titter yet, but has elicited a smile every so often. I have to admit, as one-trickish as he appears, I do quite like Matt Berry.

amnesiac

LOVED the pilot, C&B all hated it/themselves. Going to watch it on +1 so I haven't read the thread

Subtle Mocking

I've really started to like Berry recently (maybe due to his album being bloody good). This is...watchable so far. Also, Emma Fryer is absolutely stunning.

amnesiac

FUCKING christ Emma Fryer's in it!! I actually fancy her!

Hymenoptera

The song toward the end... it vaguely reminded me of Catterick. In that it didn't seem hugely out of place in the show, and it didn't make me cringe. Did anyone else think that, or was I just having a moment?

Levi

Good God. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: Levi on October 20, 2013, 11:15:19 PM
Good God. I thoroughly enjoyed that.

It's the first time in a while that a new Channel 4 comedy hasn't made me angry and confused. That's a start, if nothing else.

SimonJT

God, it was so stupid, wasn't it. I really enjoyed it.

Levi

Yes, silly but not shit. A result!

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: SimonJT on October 20, 2013, 11:23:23 PM
God, it was so stupid, wasn't it. I really enjoyed it.

Just watching it again now, and that's a perfect summary.

I really, really, really enjoyed it! I remember feeling slightly lukewarm to the original pilot in the previous thread. Had one good laugh at the start but it just didn't make me laugh...But, well, this was great!
Just refreshingly silly and I laughed heaps. I mean, laughed like an idiot at bits that were just bloody hilariously and confidently stupid.

Spoiler alert
"We're going for a walk on a canal."
"Oh, yes, I follow her on twitter"
"I'm going to follow her too. On a canal!"
[close]

It's just so stupid and...I don't know, charmingly dumb and lovely.

Definitely has a slight Snuff Box feel to it. Not just down to Berry's similar soundtrack, but also because of the slight element of darkness and the harsh effin' and jeffin' thrown in, which I like actually. It's building it's own feel. I'm also a huge fan of Matt Berry's music and it was nice to see more Take My Hand,
Spoiler alert
along with the revised version of 'October Sun' with the unexpected musical number. Again, very much like Snuff Box to burst into musical numbers, which again, I enjoyed.
[close]

I thought Snuff Box was great, had some flaws but really deserved a second series to actually find it's feet and become a true classic, but this was great from the get-go.
Refreshingly silly and stupid. I didn't think I was going to laugh at the whole
Spoiler alert
Bruce Forsyth plotline, but the continuing extreme close-ups of everyone's tense eyes as Toast tries to avoid saying the catchphrase just had me laughing like a dickhead, especially because of the sheer hilarity of the uncanny valley Aphex Twin make-up.
[close]

It's creating a distinct mood and feel to it. Something that the IT Crowd always struggled with. That always felt like a Studio Sitcom, with some hints at a sillier world, but always felt like a set. Snuff Box on the other hand had a distinct feel to it. Same with Father Ted[nb]and Black Books too, though to be fair, neither Arthur Matthews or Matt Berry worked on that one.[/nb]

Can't wait for the next one. I don't know how it'll fair ratings wise. I feel Matt Berry must have built a larger following after the success of the IT Crowd above all else. Hopefully some people actually watch this. Probably not though.

rimbaud

Ridiculous and surprising.   I loved it.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Bored of Canada on October 21, 2013, 01:19:14 AM
I remember feeling slightly lukewarm to the original pilot in the previous thread. Had one good laugh at the start but it just didn't make me laugh...
My feelings exactly, which means I'm annoyed I completely forgot this was on and will be having a gander this evening.

Danger Man

It must say something about the current state of British comedy (or me) that Matt Berry seems like a cutting edge comedian.

Toast felt like some odd mix of Darkplace and Filthy, Rich and Catflap. Which is no bad thing.

QuoteToast is based on a bunch of actors but especially one guy. I worked with him on a film and realise that if I mentioned any actor who was around his age but more successful, it would drive him insane. So from sheer devilment, I'd do it on purpose. I'd casually refer to, say,Ian McShane and he'd explode: 'Don't talk to me about Ian bloody McShane,' and launch into this rant.

I wonder who it is.

Jack Shaftoe

I quite liked it, pleased at lack of studio audience laughter, which would have killed some of the fun/deliberately crap jokes for me. Lost a few points for the swearing though, which felt a bit forced.

amnesiac

Quote from: Danger Man on October 21, 2013, 09:41:08 AM

I wonder who it is.

reminds me of Kris Marshall being taped calling Gervais a talentless fuck. This was pre-backlash too!

Rolf Lundgren

Top stuff. I laughed throughout. Berry's great but it's a really good cast overall.

SteveDave

I bluddy loved this but was extremely afraid of the Bruce Forsyth woman.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: SteveDave on October 21, 2013, 06:48:57 PM
I bluddy loved this but was extremely afraid of the Bruce Forsyth woman.

Oh me too. Terrifying (brilliant) makeup work there. The voice was equally unnerving.

SimonJT

Who played him (her)? I didn't see the credits.

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: SimonJT on October 21, 2013, 07:11:17 PM
Who played him (her)? I didn't see the credits.

Gus Brown, apparently.

amnesiac

did anyone notice the used really obviously bad body doubles whenever they showed someone running away? cracked me or

or i've got that wrong

amnesiac

oh god I love emma fryer, her little embarassed giggles give me massive wood

I watched this on 4od after its warm reception here. I didn't laugh particularly hard but it's a likeable little show. And of course there's Emma Fryer's gawky loveliness. Looking forward to the next episode.

dr beat

Really enjoyed this, daft & surreal but with a sense of an internal logic, however warped, which seems to be a hallmark of Arthur Matthews.

I also thought Robert Bathurst was great in this - his character was a perfect foil for Toast.

willpurry

Quote from: amnesiac on October 21, 2013, 08:48:43 PM
oh god I love emma fryer, her little embarassed giggles give me massive wood

Me too.  And then a lot of sap came out.

babyshambler

It was delightfully daft, but I don't think it made me laugh more than 1 and a half times. I'll stick with it though as I like Matt Berry's jowl.

checkoutgirl

It was my kind of odd. The Bruce Forsyth thing was frightening. I can picture it so clearly in my minds eye even now. When Forsyth is leaving the kitchen and he/she turns around to look back for a second, creepy. I enjoyed the small sandwich and small champagne glasses. I find preceding things with the word 'small' amuses me. The Morgana Robinson thing was weird, I would not let a little stalking or psychopathy put me off going to bed with her. I have to say, on reflection, I think Toast of London is probably my favourite title for a show in years, it's so cheesy. There were some nice little jokes in there, I'll be watching this for sure.

"Didn't she do well"

amnesiac

hahahaah there was absolutely no need for her to adopt Brucie's mannerisms was there.