Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 11:57:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Toast of London

Started by Subtle Mocking, October 20, 2013, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Levi

I thought it was fun without necessarily being funny. Slightly concerned that they chose that as the strongest episode to start the series.

kngen

Bit disappointing, as I'd really warmed to the first series on the occasions I caught it. A minor point, but bit pissed off that they messed with the titles, as I thought the original was lovely - and really captured the afternoon telly/Armchair Theatre/Crown Court milieu that would have been Toast's happy hunting ground - and now he's what? Austin Fucking Powers?

Milverton

Very enjoyable.

Mind... The... Gap...

Penas... Anas... Vageena...

The Bus loudhailer conversation...

Tracy-Ann Oberman on all fours, twice.

A good start to the new series.

Rolf Lundgren

Quote from: dr beat on November 04, 2014, 11:57:21 AM
Was that
Spoiler alert
Chris Morris
[close]
doing Boris Johnson's voice?

Terry Mynott off The Mimic.

derek stitt

I would like to see a Ray Purchase one man show. Do not know why just like the way the character speaks, dresses and stands.

I just hope the show gets better and that Matt Berry realises he is not a physical comedian.

great_badir

Mostly like a completely different show, but I will admit I found the bus tour megaphone argument inspired, if completely non-sequitur.  I particularly enjoyed the steady speed and distance from each other that both buses observed.

DrGreggles

I liked it and didn't recognise a drop in quality from s1.
No song though.

amnesiac

Going to suggest something a bit mental here:

I think Toasts benefit from a 2nd viewing

There, I said it, it's out there now

dr beat

I agree that a second viewing always helps - I will watch ep2 again but on first viewing I found it quite disappointing and a step down from ep1.  Things seemed to be thrown in willy-nilly - I know its willfully surreal but why
Spoiler alert
introduce a cyclopic character only to do nothing with him and announce his death off-screen?
[close]
And it didn't seem like they really knew how to end it. 

Edit: Or what I'm saying is the plot outcome in ep1 culminated via the elements which were introduced before it, whereas in ep2 this didn't really happen. Um.

amnesiac

Quote from: dr beat on November 07, 2014, 10:04:09 AM
I agree that a second viewing always helps - I will watch ep2 again but on first viewing I found it quite disappointing and a step down from ep1.  Things seemed to be thrown in willy-nilly - I know its willfully surreal but why
Spoiler alert
introduce a cyclopic character only to do nothing with him and announce his death off-screen?
[close]
And it didn't seem like they really knew how to end it. 

Edit: Or what I'm saying is the plot outcome in ep1 culminated via the elements which were introduced before it, whereas in ep2 this didn't really happen. Um.

I haven't seen ep2 yet but I took a sneaky peek at your spoiler tag and laughed. That does sound really shit but funny.

Quote from: great_badir on November 05, 2014, 12:32:27 PM
I particularly enjoyed the steady speed and distance from each other that both buses observed.

Couldn't agree more. 

The show is at its best on a second viewing drunk

jonno

I loved the build up and reveal of the
Spoiler alert
Cyclops director
[close]
whilst finding it quite a disturbing
Spoiler alert
spectacle
[close]
, same actor as the
Spoiler alert
Bruce Forsyth
[close]
in the first series I think. Bonus points for some extremely subtle foreshadowing in Toast's kitchen, it really does reward a second viewing.

Levi

After watching last night's episode I can't help but agree with Amnesiac. 'Shit but funny' should be the quote on the front of the dvd release.

I do really love it but sometimes it resembles the fevered dreams of a potty-mouthed child.

jaydee81

Is there a name for the comedic trope where a celebrity is mentioned in the script, only for them to HAHAHA appear later in the episode by surprise? If not, I am christening it the 'John Nettles bit.' I remember Harry Hill used to do it a lot in TV Burp.

The opposite of the 'John Nettles bit' is when a TV previewer says 'and this week's episode features a hilarious cameo by Michael Ball' which does the complete opposite of making said clip hilarious, but by removing the surprise makes it anticipated, disappointing and dull. I am christening it 'everything Sam Wollaston writes.'

Quote from: Levi on November 11, 2014, 12:48:49 PM
After watching last night's episode I can't help but agree with Amnesiac. 'Shit but funny' should be the quote on the front of the dvd release.

I do really love it but sometimes it resembles the fevered dreams of a potty-mouthed child.

I sometimes find whole sections of it like
Spoiler alert
the Calendar Girls rehearsal
[close]
irritating and unfunny but on the other hand often something hilarious appears out of nowhere.  In last night episode,
Spoiler alert
Jane Plough's sudden cry of 'leave it aaaaht, Pat' in her posh fruity accent to the old man writing Eastenders scripts at the typewriter
[close]
made me laugh like an eejit. It wasn't even so much the line or the situation itself, more the way she said the line.

Glebe

I can't help loving this, even the ropey parts. I just love the wilful, over-the-top madness of it. Matt Berry has that elusive Tommy Cooper thing of just being naturally funny (plus he wrote the lovely, tragedy-tinged theme tune). The bus stuff in the first episode was wonderful, the 2nd episode just went all-out insane but fucking hell, I like it. A roasted fox-gun-stand-off-musical interlude, Krull Cyclops and John Nettles.

Quote from: amnesiac on November 04, 2014, 09:12:07 AMToast's always felt like a live action Viz strip.

Luvvie Darling, natch.

amnesiac

I loved the way it was assumed that advert people went into the woods to roast a fox, just brilliant. The Nettles bit was very Withnail, bloody well done to him to agreeing to that cameo.

Also shout out to 'The Tax People' sign/ owing half a million pounds in back tax/ having to do shit work for the tax people.

Lovely to see Ray Purchase in every single (both) episodes so far #teampurchase and was there a new person called Crutch or Crotch? they all have such marvelous names.

Attila

Quote from: amnesiac on November 11, 2014, 01:38:26 PM
I loved the way it was assumed that advert people went into the woods to roast a fox, just brilliant. The Nettles bit was very Withnail, bloody well done to him to agreeing to that cameo.

Also shout out to 'The Tax People' sign/ owing half a million pounds in back tax/ having to do shit work for the tax people.

Lovely to see Ray Purchase in every single (both) episodes so far #teampurchase and was there a new person called Crutch or Crotch? they all have such marvelous names.

Duncan Clench, played by Paul Darrow (yay!)

amnesiac

hahaha Clench! that's even better than I misremembered.

Canted_Angle

I watch this drunk and high and piss my pants. Im drunk and high most times and don't laugh as much unless im watching sunny in Philadelphia or south park.

Gurke and Hare

I thought it was terrific this week. From the start, pretty much all the way through to the break I was laughing non-stop - I wouldn't say there was a particular killer line but the silliness piled on top of silliness just kept building - the actors' names in The Moosetrap, the mocked up University Challenge teams, BBC television centre being some kind of Tardis - it was wonderful.

Glebe

Wasn't bowled over by tonight's episode, but I did enjoy the creepy caretaker guy, the brief musical bit, the little model University Challenge panel and Paxo. Kind of a little wink to Knowing Me, Knowing You with the Michael Winner gun collection there.

Attila

I don't like driving all that much, but a Toast/Matt Berry satnav would suit me well, actually.

I would have to move somewhere that had picture/pleasure/televisual type place names, though, for the full-on pronunciation effect.

amnesiac

Loved ep3, a return to form! Yes the Moosetrap actors' names were great. Something Traitor and .. someone help me out, the first old women.. something like Traction but not that but like that.

Hi Toast this is Clemfandango can you hear me!

Penny Traitor, Ken Suggestion, Betty Pimples and Royce Coolidge were the names of the actors in the Moosetrap.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/toast_of_london/episodes/2/3/

amnesiac

Quote from: Clatty McCutcheon on November 18, 2014, 09:56:41 AM
Penny Traitor, Ken Suggestion, Betty Pimples and Royce Coolidge were the names of the actors in the Moosetrap.

http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/tv/toast_of_london/episodes/2/3/

hahahahaha cheers man! the naming is one of my favourite things in this brilliant shambles of a show.

Agreed. The names always are so funny even though I can never put my finger on why.

great_badir

The angry charge noise Terry Mynott as Paxman made when he rose out of his seat to attack Toast made me lose the entire contents of my bowels and bladder[NB]Not literally[/NB].  Also, Robert Bathurst's wordless question and reaction noises to Toast being the sat nav voice was fantastic.

I think this series tends to have particular moments of quality, whereas the first series seemed a bit more consistent in terms of overall content.

DrGreggles

I love this show.

The reveal of the BBC building was perfect.

daf

Quote from: amnesiac on November 18, 2014, 09:16:31 AM
Hi Toast this is Clemfandango can you hear me!

Yes, I can hear you Clemfandango.