Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:29:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Toast of London

Started by Subtle Mocking, October 20, 2013, 10:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Subtle Mocking

Quote from: amnesiac on October 25, 2013, 01:42:38 PM
hahahaah there was absolutely no need for her to adopt Brucie's mannerisms was there.

Not only the mannerisms, but the voice too.

amnesiac

Quote from: Subtle Mocking on October 25, 2013, 01:43:28 PM
Not only the mannerisms, but the voice too.

cracking up here, I didn't really think about this before.

DrGreggles

Quote from: checkoutgirl on October 25, 2013, 12:38:00 PM
I enjoyed the small sandwich and small champagne glasses.

I watched this initially without knowing who had written it and the sandwich/champagne stuff made me wonder if Arthur Matthews was involved.
Good to know that he is.

J Swift

I'm a bit surprised at the praise it's getting. "Beak keeper" "Bee keeper"? . . . I think like the Telegraph reviewer said, that's the kind of pun you'd do best to keep to yourself. Thought the Forsyth stuff just felt rather forced – I think if you're going to attempt surrealism these days, you've got to push the envelope a bit. And obviously it's not going to be very character driven.

I suppose what it is for me is I'd almost rather hate something than just feel a bit indifferent towards it. Would watch again for Morgana's legs

amnesiac

no it's bee keeper/ BEAK KEEPER!

J Swift

lol, you try posting on rum & LSD at 3am

madhair60

Quote from: J Swift on October 26, 2013, 04:36:35 AM

Hahahaha haha hahahaha

It's not really surreal. It's absurd and unashamedly silly. If you're not a fan of stupid puns and silly little character interactions, I totally understand, I found it really enjoyable.
I'd never say that people just don't get it, I think you're definitely in the right for not liking it for being this stupid, but personally, I think there's a genius inside the completely dumb and silly. The writings really good in a completely self-aware silly roundabout Naked Gun conversation kind of thing, and it's well performed and well cast. I just really enjoyed the thing.

It's like the early seasons of Father Ted or even a lot of the ridiculously dumb yet funny bits in the golden age of the Simpsons.

"I told that guy to slice my sandwich!"

J Swift

Linehan-esque writing is exactly what it reminded me of.

I think the genius of Father Ted is largely in the performances (thought on paper Dougal and Father Jack represented some of the laziest comedy writing imaginable, yet wonderfully performed and totally elevated). Otherwise I just don't get what the payoff is

babyshambler

Quote from: J Swift on October 26, 2013, 04:36:35 AM

Last time I did LSD, I attempted to push my trainer through my head.

Doubt I could handle the internet.

amnesiac

I fucking hate Linehan and love Toast so that cunt above's theory is shot to piece i am very much afraid

Famous Mortimer

I enjoyed it a surprisingly large amount.

Has his character changed quite a bit since the pilot? I seem to recall him being "older", but I may be confusing it with something else. Anyway, lots of fun, and I'll be watching again.

Danger Man

Very young CaBbers[nb]Thomas[/nb] may not know that Toast is, inexplicably, based on this man....

Famous Mortimer

Danger Man

Second episode was a bit...quiet.

Nice atmosphere but not much to laugh at.

amnesiac

Quote from: Danger Man on October 30, 2013, 01:37:34 PM

yeah, I still much prefer the pilot to any of this commissioned series business.

dr beat

Watched the 2nd ep again and enjoyed it - maybe not many laugh out loud moments but there's loads of detail in there which reward repeat viewing.  Again I think Robert Bathurst is great in this, his character might initially seem more like a straight man but he's just odd enough to complement Toast.

I also like what they're doing with the closing song.

Levi

Quote from: Danger Man on October 30, 2013, 01:37:34 PM

True. I was really looking forward to it and to be honest only laughed a couple of times... and they were the forced laughs of a desperate man.

I hope it didn't blow all of its beans in episode 1.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Levi on October 30, 2013, 07:28:08 PM
True. I was really looking forward to it and to be honest only laughed a couple of times... and they were the forced laughs of a desperate man.

I hope it didn't blow all of its beans in episode 1.

I was a bit disappointed too, especially during the first half, though it picked up a fair bit in the second. It seemed a bit needlessly sweary at times as well, whereas I'd prefer slightly more inventive dialogue. The songs at the end are very endearing though, and there's something about the whole thing which I find quite charming (the frisbee scene, for instance, though it was spoilt by the bollocks kicking at the end) so I definitely plan to stick with it.

boggenstrovia

Quote from: Danger Man on October 28, 2013, 08:38:43 AM
Very young CaBbers[nb]Thomas[/nb] may not know that Toast is, inexplicably, based on this man....

I know who that is... Its Des Lynam[nb]Of course I know its Dickie Davies and I have thought that too DM, so why not Matthews and Berry get him in for a cameo... You know it makes sense...[/nb]

derek stitt

This series seems to be getting weaker each episode. I rather enjoyed the silliness and deliberate laziness of the writing and directing of this programme. Also, rather enjoy the seventies feel to the title sequence. Now the show just seems to rely on swearing, silly names and a deep voice. Shame, as hammy old actors make good characters to rip the piss out off.

The attempt at slapstick with the ten pin bowling last night was just shite. I make no apologies if I have missed the layers of irony or whatever. The segment was just plain embarrassingly bad.

I will give it one more go as the programme does have promise.

Lfbarfe

Third episode is always the weakest, isn't that the rule?

SimonJT

I thought it was usually the fifth.

The last two episodes haven't been hilarious, but I enjoy the odd tone of the show, and the laxative ad, with the toilet as a standalone cubicle in the room, was pretty funny, as is the running joke if his play being so bad that it turns people violent.

Also: The East End thug! A photographic cameo from Arthur Mathews!

checkoutgirl

I enjoyed the second episode even though it was a step down in quality from the first. I still enjoy messing about with scale (the huge drink made me laugh) and there's still about 3 or 4 proper chucklesome moments in the episode. The tone is odd and I quite like Berry. I'm kind of a fan of Berry anyway so that probably helps. I can't see myself not finishing the series and probably wanting a second series bar an amazing drop off in quality. There's not enough stuff like this on telly these days and I find myself wanting Arthur Mathews to do well for some reason.

amnesiac

THIS WAS THE PILOT EPISODE! I've been talking about that 'YES YES YES YES" scene for what seems like years.

amnesiac

hang on.

only that first scene was from the pilot.

I'm watching this in real time, no idea what's going on

Levi

The plotting isn't great and there's an over- reliance on THAT voice but it has..........something. There were enough funny/stupid moments to keep me watching. And I really laughed at the bowling scene. Sorry. The Scale thing always gets me.

23 Daves

I'm enjoying it, though oddly I preferred the second episode to the first, probably because I had both you lot and a good friend of mine raving about the show before settling down to watch it on 4OD, which I think raised my expectations too high initially.

I don't think pratfalls are necessarily Matt Berry's strong point and he should probably lay off them, but beyond that he has incredibly good verbal comedy timing, I think - it's astonishing how much he can do with simple phrases and words.  And the slightly odd feel the show has works perfectly, surreal enough for the viewer to suspend disbelief and accept the most stupid elements, but close enough to a satirical parody of luvvies that you can also tuck in on that level if your mood suits.

It's not the best comedy that's ever been on television, but it's probably one of the best ones this year. 

dr beat

I didn't think the last ep was that memorable but I'm still favourably inclined toward it.  I think this is a show that could really hit its stride if its given a second series.

amnesiac

just finished ep3, loved it! "Can I have a sand which" hahaha and he is the absolute master at the wavering voice, that noise he made when he let go of the bowling ball. I don't understand people who hate Matt Berry when we have Rufus Hound and Robin Ince in the world.