Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 04:14:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your favourite Kate Bush thing

Started by chocolate teapot, February 27, 2016, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I know it's one of her more famous songs but Babooshka is utterly fucking brilliant.

badaids

Quote from: kalowski on June 18, 2022, 05:05:52 PMI know it's one of her more famous songs but Babooshka is utterly fucking brilliant.

It's amazing isn't it?  I've been trying to teach myself piano and this is one of the ones I was dying to learn. It's really fun to play too.

Head Gardener

amateur

Kankurette

Quote from: kalowski on June 18, 2022, 05:05:52 PMI know it's one of her more famous songs but Babooshka is utterly fucking brilliant.
Babooshka is my favourite Kate Bush song next to The Dreaming, and I love the video as well. I assume Bush must have done ballet training because her dancing in some of the earlier videos is amazing.

I used to be in a group on Facebook called the Viral Jukebox during lockdown and people would post requests for songs, and other people would upload videos of themselves playing/singing them. I did a few myself, including Kinky Afro with my best Shaun Ryder dancing. One person requested Babooshka and this little boy sang it, and he was perfect.

Kankurette

Billy Bragg wrote a column for Q ages ago about how much he loved Army Dreamers because it reminded him of being a young working-class kid doing National Service.
Quote from: SpiderChrist on June 18, 2022, 04:13:19 PMFuck I hate Nick Hornby. He's not fit to clean Kate's boots. Have you seen that list of tunes in his 31 Songs book? One reggae tune (Puff the Magic Dragon by Gregory Isaacs FFS) and one soul tune.
No, but I'm surprised at the lack of soul considering that Rob is really into Solomon Burke and Aretha Franklin, and is always banging on about Got to Get You Off My Mind. I thought Rob was meant to be Hornby's musical self-insert. Admittedly I'm not a big fan of reggae but there's better songs than Puff the Magic Dragon, I mean Bob Marley is RIGHT THERE.

Glebe

grainger

Quote from: Kankurette on June 18, 2022, 07:48:59 PMBabooshka is my favourite Kate Bush song next to The Dreaming, and I love the video as well. I assume Bush must have done ballet training because her dancing in some of the earlier videos is amazing.

She studied dance with Lindsey Kemp, in the period before she started recording her music. ISTR reading that she was a very good and dilligent student, but didn't train long enough to develop a "dancer's body".

grainger

Quote from: Kankurette on June 18, 2022, 07:51:51 PMBilly Bragg wrote a column for Q ages ago about how much he loved Army Dreamers because it reminded him of being a young working-class kid doing National Service.

Bragg didn't do national service - it ended in 1963, when Bragg was six. He voluntarily joined the army in 1981, but left after completing his three months of basic training (which, according to my dad, who did do national service, is the really difficult bit).

badaids

I've become fascinated by the video to The Big Sky of late.  It's a great song anyway but there's something so warm and care free about the video and there's so many nice nuggets of detail tucked away in the cast of performers and extras. And it looks like they're all hanging a proper laugh too.

Tokyo van Ramming

Quote from: badaids on June 19, 2022, 10:14:16 AMI've become fascinated by the video to The Big Sky of late.  It's a great song anyway but there's something so warm and care free about the video and there's so many nice nuggets of detail tucked away in the cast of performers and extras. And it looks like they're all hanging a proper laugh too.

IIRC one of the performers said in the comments of the youtube vid that Kate was actually very ill during that shoot, and kept running off to the toilet. Still aced it!

badaids

Quote from: Tokyo van Ramming on June 19, 2022, 10:30:36 AMIIRC one of the performers said in the comments of the youtube vid that Kate was actually very ill during that shoot, and kept running off to the toilet. Still aced it!

It's funny you say that because I watched the video just after I posted this and at the beginning when it's zoomed in on her face I thought she was looking a bit wan.

Brundle-Fly

Did anyone ever see Alice Lowe's Kate Bush spoof sci fi musical, MoonJourney at the Edinburgh Fringe in 2005? It was really good, I thought, with proper 'Rutles' versions of Kate numbers during the show. There is hardly anything online about it, no pics either, just one sniffy review. It's a shame Go Faster Stripe didn't exist one year earlier.

Natnar

A couple of Babooshka demos

Kankurette

Not sure what my favourite Bush video is but Experiment IV is definitely up there.
Quote from: grainger on June 19, 2022, 09:43:34 AMBragg didn't do national service - it ended in 1963, when Bragg was six. He voluntarily joined the army in 1981, but left after completing his three months of basic training (which, according to my dad, who did do national service, is the really difficult bit).
Thanks, that's the fella. I knew he was in the army but couldn't remember if he was doing National Service or not. (And that makes sense about basic, isn't it designed to weed out the people who can't hack it?)

Natnar

Quote from: Kankurette on June 19, 2022, 02:44:38 PMNot sure what my favourite Bush video is but Experiment IV is definitely up there.
It just goes to show Kate's sense of humour that she casts herself as a monster that kills people with their voice.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: Kankurette on June 19, 2022, 02:44:38 PMNot sure what my favourite Bush video is but Experiment IV is definitely up there.
Loved this video, and This Woman's Work. Tim McInnery being distraught. Oh, and Deeper Understanding. Robbie Coltrane distress.

Head Gardener

Kate giving a rare interview today at 10am on Women's Hour BBC Radio 4

the science eel

she REALLY missed the point of that last message, didn't she?

phantom_power

Quote from: the science eel on June 22, 2022, 10:27:51 AMshe REALLY missed the point of that last message, didn't she?

What happened?

the science eel

Emma B ended by quoting a tweet where someone essentially said 'Kate Bush deserves more than this'. To which she said 'awww thanks!'

Head Gardener

idunnosomename

Hated how they forced me into listening to Caitlin Moran. Fucking Radio 4

Quote from: the science eel on June 22, 2022, 10:27:51 AMshe REALLY missed the point of that last message, didn't she?
what are you supposed to say to such praise except generic "thank you for your support it is very much appreciated". She clearly just didnt want to deal with the substance of it because how can you

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Kankurette on June 18, 2022, 03:07:56 PMhad no idea Kate Bush was supposed to be bad/uncool
Not being a Kate Bush superfan I've always found her adorably dorky, so maybe it's meant more toward uncool than bad.

Natnar

I'm hoping that the fact the Kate wasn't asked about any new music was because she has something coming and asked not to talk about it because she doesn't want to announce it yet.

idunnosomename

When she said she was busy with the gardening it was a missed opportunity to say haha kate BUSH. Like a bush that a bird makes a nest in and lays an egg like a birds egg.

grainger

Quote from: Kankurette on June 19, 2022, 02:44:38 PMThanks, that's the fella. I knew he was in the army but couldn't remember if he was doing National Service or not. (And that makes sense about basic, isn't it designed to weed out the people who can't hack it?)

I guess so, with normal recruitment, as well as building up basic fitness. Although for people like my dad doing natinal service, you had to do it - you couldn't just leave, so there was no weeding out funciton. Also, basic training is there to instill unquestioning obedience.