Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 11:18:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your favourite Kate Bush thing

Started by chocolate teapot, February 27, 2016, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phantom_power

Quote from: popcorn on July 04, 2022, 08:26:54 PMIt's about as sophisticated an effect as when Robbie Williams lets the crowd sing Angels

And sophisticated means good and unsophisticated bad?

popcorn

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 08:33:27 PMAnd sophisticated means good and unsophisticated bad?

Just so there's no misunderstanding here:

It's about as shit an effect as when Robbie Williams lets the crowd sing Angels.

phantom_power

Quote from: popcorn on July 04, 2022, 08:40:51 PMJust so there's no misunderstanding here:

It's about as shit an effect as when Robbie Williams lets the crowd sing Angels.

I mean it is clearly not but you do you

popcorn

Actually I withdraw that statement, as I'd much rather listen to a crowd of people sing Running Up That Hill than Angels. But trying to pass this off as a choral arrangement, bloody hell, what bollocks.

Look, the best Kate Bush thing ever is that incredibly haunting song that's got to number one thirty-seven years after doing so before, okay?

phantom_power

Quote from: popcorn on July 04, 2022, 08:42:29 PMActually I withdraw that statement, as I'd much rather listen to a crowd of people sing Running Up That Hill than Angels. But trying to pass this off as a choral arrangement, bloody hell, what bollocks.

There is more than one part being sung. It is choral. It is fairly rudimentary but still not just a load of people singing the same thing

popcorn

Quote from: phantom_power on July 05, 2022, 07:51:24 AMThere is more than one part being sung. It is choral. It is fairly rudimentary but still not just a load of people singing the same thing

Yes I know. It's extremely basic and shit and poorly arranged (and badly recorded).

I'm looking at more of these Pub Choir things and they all seem to follow the same pattern - trite string section, terrible prerecorded drums, and then get a giant pit of people to belt out the song with minimal arrangement. It seems to be a sort of "wall of sound" approach to this kind of pop-choir thing, a sheer numbers game, rather than capitalising on proper opportunity for choral arrangement.

It's a bit daft for me to arguing about this one because I find the entire genre of "choir people do pop songs" rather naff to say the least, but I am just struck by how particularly uninspired this one is. I guess it is called pub choir.

popcorn

I'm really angry about this choir thing and I'm thinking of making a thread about it.

grainger

Quote from: phantom_power on July 04, 2022, 07:44:37 PMI think they both share a certain ethereal quality, and the synths used are both uber-80s in their sound

In terms of sound, one evokes the early 80s (well, late 70s, early 80s); the other very much is the mid 80s. Both eras are "80s", but worlds apart.

Edit: Actually, that's not quite right. Running... isn't particularly of its time. It is, in that it's a super famous song that is something you might think of when going "what came out in that year?", so it's helped define the sound of the time. But part of what makes it good is that it didn't sound like any other records from that time.

Head Gardener

Quote from: popcorn on July 05, 2022, 09:47:54 AMI'm really angry about this choir thing and I'm thinking of making a thread about it.

yer right, it is really annoying

Head Gardener

Homeground has published a completely free 136 page issue that you can download as a PDF or read online: http://www.katebushnews.com/

daf

Vodkafone

My favourite Kate Bush thing was always, and still is, Cloudbusting, which I first saw and heard at the Odeon in the 1980s that they had then, as a sort of B movie to whatever rubbish I'd gone to see. The way she sings "And just saying it could even make it happen" makes me 51% believe in magic.

You lovely people embracing the wonder of Kate Bush has led to me explore the albums, which I have never done before, and for that I am very grateful. So far my favourite is The Sensual World. The title track is great, but the real highlight is the the 1-2 of Never Be Mine and Rocket Tails. The first half of the latter, the overlaying of Kate's voice on the Trio Bulgarka witchiness, is just incredible, then David Gilmour lays in with his guitar stuff. They are my third and second favourite Kate Bush things.

popcorn

Quote from: Vodkafone on July 06, 2022, 10:55:19 PMMy favourite Kate Bush thing was always, and still is, Cloudbusting, which I first saw and heard at the Odeon in the 1980s that they had then, as a sort of B movie to whatever rubbish I'd gone to see. The way she sings "And just saying it could even make it happen" makes me 51% believe in magic.

My favourite line of hers is "I can't hide you / from the government".  so matter-of-fact but also weirdly sad and funny at the same time.

Natnar

Quote from: Natnar on July 03, 2022, 12:36:07 PMRunning Up That Hill remix used in Stranger Things.

Seems like this video has been made private now, it was just about to hit a million views as well.

Dr Rock

Wuthering Heights - Spookier Video Version

Dr Rock

Wow, there's more of this

QuoteOn 12 May 1978, the Dutch broadcaster TROS broadcast a 20 minute Kate Bush television special, recorded at the Dutch amusement park Efteling. On 10 May 1978, Efteling was ready to open the Haunted Castle, the most expensive attraction it had ever constructed, and they wanted to promote it as much as they could. Ton van der Ven, who designed the castle, appeared in a popular talk show and in April a documentary featuring the Haunted Castle was made by filmmaker Rien van Wijk, who was eager to shoot in the latest attraction before it officially opened. Kate, who just had a big hit with Wuthering Heights, was approached for a television special that would promote both Efteling and her songs. The special was filmed in April, a month before the official opening of the castle.

Natnar

Running Up That Hill video with alternate ending

Head Gardener

Natnar

The Dreaming is 40 today. Still an absolute masterpiece.

Glebe

Ian Bairnson, guitarist with Pilot and for Kate Bush, dies aged 69.

That's sad news, RIP. Also played with Alan Parsons Project, including 'Don't Answer Me' apparently, with 'Wuthering Heights' that's at least two all-time crackers he graced his guitar with.

Pawspero

Not a particularly original answer, but it has to be Hounds of Love for me. Knew it was something special the second the first track kicked in, I'll always remember my first listen. Great stuff. It was nice to hear it on the radio again when it appeared on that Stranger Things.

I'm slightly annoyed at the recent resurgence of Hounds of Love. Because, it makes it seem less believable when I tell people this was the first time I consciously experienced music, at the age of 4. It now sounds like something a bandwagoner would say, except it was true. I was mucking about with my parent's cassette player, and heard the weird, whistly synths of Mother Stands for Comfort coming out. I'm convinced that was what led me to seek out music with odd, unfamiliar sounds in later life.

Of course, the other part of this anecdote is that it was a C90 tape-copy. During this musical discovery, I also managed to figure out that I could record my voice onto tape. So, the songs on that album, would have sudden sections of me talking gibberish and singing the Coco Pops theme halfway through Cloudbusting, as well as my brother screaming every time I emptied the big basket of Lego we had.

kalowski

Yeah, yeah, yeah, bandwagonning cunt.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Natnar on May 03, 2023, 01:51:03 PMShe's made it into the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-65467456

Someone on twitter posted this:

Quote from: @BudrykZackLook nothing against Kate Bush but I think it's a little unfair that she immediately gets inducted a year after writing that song for Stranger Things when there are people who have been toiling for decades

I mean, that's a fairly standard joke, right? No-one here's laughing out loud, but it's fine. We all get it though.

Guy gets a reply:

Quote from: @lukemaynard1/2
I don't know how to tell you this, but "people who have been toiling for decades" INCLUDE Kate Bush.

You may not know about the 200+ bootleg songs she wrote in the '70s, produced with David Gilmour. You may not know she invented the wireless mic rig that all popstars who...

2/2 ...dance a lot in their live shows, from Michael Jackson to Madonna to all of Broadway still use today (building hers out of a coat hanger!).

You may not have known who she was before that Netflix show. But Alanis, Adele, Elton, Sinead, kd, Tori, Björk, & Grimes sure did.

which ends up as a 20 tweet thread about... well, I don't know. The nature of jokes? I'm not reading all that. I'm happy for him though. Or sorry that happened.

I'll tell you what though, it kind of gives the lie to the complaint about Manspaining Reply Guys that they 'wouldn't do it to a man' - because clearly some of them would.

Kankurette

Digging this thread up to say that I went to a Kate Bush-themed club night, Wuthering Nights, last night and it was a lot of fun. It's the same guy who does Britpop Curious. We all got given 'Kate capes' and the result was a bunch of people looking like we were in some kind of weird Bush-worshipping cult. Lots of women with glittery eye make-up - including one who looked scarily like the real thing, who jointly won a miming contest to Wuthering Heights with a girl who looked like a small female Steve Bruce - and flowers in their hair. It's made me want to marathon her stuff, especially The Dreaming (we got Suspended in Gaffa and Sat in Your Lap, amongst other things). There was also a nice selection of '80s/female singer-songwriter stuff. Stevie Nicks, Tori Amos (who Bush apparently hates, ironically), Eurhythmics, Soft Cell etc. Btw if any CaBBers were there, I was the fat woman with the red eyeshadow miming to Babooshka.

I should probably make a separate High Fidelity Bitching Thread, but one of the things that really, really pissed me off about that book - and I've mentioned this before, I know - was when Rob goes to a nice couple's house, they're friends with Laura, and looks at their record collection and discovers it's full of artists he and Nick Hornby consider to be terrible. One of said artists is Kate Bush. I can guarantee that Bush is far more interesting and innovative than half of the boring shite Nick Hornby likes. IDGAF if she's not 'authentic' or whatever.