Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,186
  • Total Topics: 106,349
  • Online Today: 767
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:12:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Post your favourite Kate Bush thing

Started by chocolate teapot, February 27, 2016, 12:34:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glebe

Quote from: Glebe on January 20, 2022, 04:43:42 AMI just watched the edited version the other day before seeing you'd posted this daf, so I'm looking forward to watching the whole thing!

Just wanna belatedly say it's actually the Hammersmith show I watched. In any case I've been on a Bush kick lately, listening to her early albums on YT and just generally being in love with the incredibly creative beautiful, sweet, funny talent that is Mizz Kate Bush.

Natnar

I think this is the only time Kate performed The Big Sky on TV.

Glebe

Glebe

That Manchester '79 show (posted last page) features every song off Kick Inside except 'Oh to Be in Love', ah well.

In any case KB is Uncut's cover star this month. Doesn't sound like it's a new interview though.

Natnar

She's been trending on and off on Twitter over the weekend. Seems Stranger Things has managed to expose her to a younger audience, especially in the US.

kalowski

Natnar

Running Up That Hill is at #2 in the Australian singles chart. I'm wondering how well it's going to do here and  in the US chart. Kate might end up with her first US Top 10 hit.

Glebe

I've been going Kate Bush mental for a while now so this is great to hear.

jamiefairlie

I've always been amazed/appalled how few people over here in BC have even heard of KB yet worship Shakin' Kate Tori Amos.

Ferris

Natnar

Natnar

Kate finally gets her first US Top Ten hit as Running Up That Hill hits #8 on the Billboard 100, 43 years after she first debuted on the Billboard 100 in 1979 with The Man With The Child In His Eyes.

Glebe

El Unicornio, mang

Presumably she's a Handmaid's Tale fan too since it featured Cloudbusting in a pivotal scene.

https://www.rollingstone.co.uk/music/kate-bush-stranger-things-running-up-that-hill-18142/

Quote"Kate Bush is selective when it comes to licensing her music and because of that, we made sure to get script pages and footage for her to review so she could see exactly how the song would be used."

As it turned out Bush is a big fan of the show which stars David Harbour and Winona Ryder and after understanding how her song would be used, granted permission.

Winona Ryder is a big Kate Bush fan also.

Natnar

Running Up That Hill up to #2 on the single chart, however it would have been #1 if it wasn't for the chart's ACR rule.

Sonny_Jim

Mate of mine reckons that she lives in a big mansion on Exmoor and gets a half of stinky weed delivered to her every fortnight.

Glebe

I've come to the conclusion that the line 'The head of the good soul department' in 'Symphony in Blue' is a bit of a pun... Saint Peter at the Gates of Heaven, 'Blue Peter'.

Anyone have anything to add to this?!

biniput

Nice idea Glebe. She has had a Billboard world 200 number 1 and official number ones in a few countries now so all is great.

Natnar

Kate gets her 2nd number 1, 44 years after her last one.

McChesney Duntz

Someone's posted her December 1978 Saturday Night Live appearance, introduced by that night's host Eric Idle. Always been particularly fond of her "Them Heavy People" here, though "The Man With The Child in His Eyes"
Spoiler alert
(groomer)
[close]
has its own particular, errrm, appeal. Enjoy:

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7zny21

Glebe

Head Gardener

I bought a lovely double vinyl copy of 50 Words For Snow at a record fair and the seller let me have one of these, a piece of the original confetti released above the stalls at the Hammersmith concerts. My friends and I missed these on the night we went as we were in the circle, they are beautiful and so delicate!

Head Gardener

Head Gardener

heading to the Hammersmith show, I dug out my review of the BTD shows -

She was in such good form Saturday night, telling us how much she loved us, god the audience just lapped it up,
there were some folks near us in raptures, a bit annoying to be honest as they whooped and hollered at
every opportunity. There were some celebs, a couple of seats in front was Moby - celebrating his 49th,
the reason I know this was I had read it in the 'i paper' on the train going down, he was sat with his
young son (?) who was dressed identical to him, jeans/t-shirt, shaved head! he was the youngest person I saw there.

The programmes are really beautiful (of course) and were worth the £15 - there were lovely posters too
and the T-shirts which have wings on the back were £25. All the hoola about having ID etc was not enforced,
they just scanned the tickets and we were in. The general vibe was so chill and relaxed - nothing to do with the
3 pints and a spliff we'd had before we went in. The first half hour was a few odd LP tracks, Top of The City and
Running Up That Hill were good but the revelation was an incredibly powerful, goose pimply version of
King Of The Mountain, which made the single sound weak in comparison, it was the nearest she came to rocking out.

The main course was The Ninth Wave in the first half and the stage gets transformed from the normal set you
see in the pics, and it becomes a mix of theatre, film and WTF, and her voice was spot on throughout, any doubts
about her not cutting it were swept away, she really was as good as you'd hope she would be.
Although the second half of A Sky Of Honey from Aerial was hit and miss for me, there were still the theatrics and some
beautiful backdrops film of birds and the moon etc but the piece as a whole was a bit self indulgent and I suppose after
the first half being so good it was hard to top. It came to a bit of a Eh? moment half way through when her son
Bertie sang a song, and to be honest he cannot sing at all, and that was almost painful to hear, but the polite applause
he received was for who he was more than what he'd just subjected us to.

She finished off with a few more album tracks and a good run through of Cloudbusting and then she was off.
The show finished at around 11 and of course the queues at the tube were pretty grim, along with train delays
at Euston and a packed last train home I didn't get in until gone half 2am so was pretty shattered yesterday
but the abiding memories are of a fantastic experience and well worth the money, hassle and wait.

Kankurette

Listening to Never For Ever at the moment.
Apparently there's going to be a Kate Bush disco at Gorilla later this year. I may have to go.

Natnar

Quote from: Kankurette on June 17, 2022, 10:29:31 PMListening to Never For Ever at the moment.
Apparently there's going to be a Kate Bush disco at Gorilla later this year. I may have to go.
If you want to play a bit of "spot the difference" then here's the original single mix of Breathing.

amateur

The bit in Before The Dawn towards the end where the tree erupted through the piano was, is, and will likely forever be the most impressive thing I ever see in stage.

Just an astonishing evening all round. In a way I'm glad they muffed the DVD, for my sake at least, as I don't think it could ever live up to how I remember it.

Kankurette

Is that Miki Berenyi in your avatar?

Kate Bush was on the news today because of Running Up That Hill being in Stranger Things. And this isn't a favourite thing, more of a rant, but one bit in High Fidelity that really annoys me is when Laura introduces Rob to some mates of hers and tells him to look at their CD collection, and he's appalled at how bad it is, and one of the musicians in it is Kate Bush. OK, I know she's bourgeois and white and whatever, but she's far more interesting, innovative, talented and, hell, FUN than some of the dreary pedestrian shite Hornby likes. I had no idea Kate Bush was supposed to be bad/uncool but I'd take her over Primal Scream any day. Even if Bertie makes me cringe, but nobody's perfect.

SpiderChrist

Fuck I hate Nick Hornby. He's not fit to clean Kate's boots. Have you seen that list of tunes in his 31 Songs book? One reggae tune (Puff the Magic Dragon by Gregory Isaacs FFS) and one soul tune.