Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 10:40:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Johnny Depp

Started by Sam, May 27, 2016, 09:43:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

Custard

Even his face annoys me these days. Just looks like a supreme ballbag

Glebe

It's payback for dressing up like a twat for Tim Burton every other movie since fuck knows.

thraxx

I don't like Depp, but his role in The Net is absolutely brilliant.

Noodle Lizard

I'm very much enjoying the schadenfreude here, and the vindication that I've been absolutely right for the past 5 years even when everybody doubted me.  That being said, Amber Heard is an utterly loathsome human being by all accounts, so I don't really trust her either.

But what we can know from all of this is that, whether he did beat her or whether he thought it was a good idea to marry a sociopathic liar half his age, Johnny Depp is an idiot and there's very little doubting it now.

Glebe

It just occurred to me that there's the vague possibility this is just a stunt and their gonna go, "Ha! Gotcha!" to everyone.

Naaaah.

Mr Banlon

He did get Chip Foose to overhaul her Mustang though.

Mark Steels Stockbroker

Never trust a man who likes Hunter S.Thompson.

hewantstolurkatad

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 28, 2016, 12:51:59 AM
I'm very much enjoying the schadenfreude here, and the vindication that I've been absolutely right for the past 5 years even when everybody doubted me.  That being said, Amber Heard is an utterly loathsome human being by all accounts, so I don't really trust her either.

But what we can know from all of this is that, whether he did beat her or whether he thought it was a good idea to marry a sociopathic liar half his age, Johnny Depp is an idiot and there's very little doubting it now.
Ah now, who in the past five years doubted that?!

mook

bloody hell, his mooey has ballooned reet up. deffo not a merlot for breakfast gent at all. fat fuck

Pijlstaart

Johnny Depp is covered in tattoos, Johnny Depp takes drugs as he pleases. Johnny Depp not a red indian, Johnny Depp made wah-wah-wah noises. He's got that kind of voice too, a nasty man voice, "Where's me fucking bottle opener!?" in the early hours of the morning, drawers slamming. He couldn't do it to me though, I'd fight back, needles on the doorknob, gunfights, the full Home Alone treatment.

Johnny Depp's daughter's birthday yesterday, you could say it was christmas come early for her, or even birthday come early.
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/entertainthis/2016/05/27/lily-rose-depp-17th-birthday/85053600/
7 Time champion!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: hewantstolurkatad on May 28, 2016, 07:43:56 AM
Ah now, who in the past five years doubted that?!

Everyone who thought he deserved an Oscar for Black Mass.
Everyone who buys his overstaged "Jack Sparrow appearances" at schools near the set.
Everyone who blamed the Australian government for him sneaking his dogs in.
Everyone who thought the Hollywood Vampires was an awesome idea.
Everyone who ever comments on his YouTube interviews.
Everyone who applauds him for "just making the films he wants to make!"
Doug Stanhope

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

I think, however, we can all agree that Johnny Depp was very good in Ed Wood.

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 28, 2016, 08:00:51 AM
Everyone who thought he deserved an Oscar for Black Mass.

So that's "everyone" as in "no one".

But please, don't let me stop you. Carry on thinking of yourself as the prophet who came down from the mountain with The Truth About Johnny Depp written in stone, only to be mocked by the rabble.

If only we had listened. If only we hadn't doubted you. But now, at last, you have been vindicated and we have all been shown up as the ignorant cretins we truly are. Who's laughing now, eh?

Sam

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 28, 2016, 08:14:09 AM
I think, however, we can all agree that Johnny Depp was very good in Ed Wood.

And Scissorhands, Brasco and a couple of others. Basically, he was good for a bit in the mid 90s.

Brasco hasn't aged well. It was probably a good enough film when it came out, but these days it just looks like a medley of cliches.

And What's Eating Gilbert Grape? As you say, around 20 years ago Johnny Depp's reputation as a fine, interesting actor was indisputable. Black Mass aside, he hasn't delivered a good performance in years.

Quote from: Default to the negative on May 28, 2016, 08:22:41 AM
Brasco hasn't aged well. It was probably a good enough film when it came out, but these days it just looks like a medley of cliches.

Still one of Pacino's greatest performances, though.

Let's not forget What's Eating Gilbert Grape and he is also a fan of The Butthole Surfers too so he can't be a complete cunt, can he?
Anyway I have always thought he shows off his cool credentials a bit too much eg Keith Richards getting pulled out as his chum and other things only money and the right connections can get you.

Steven

Quote from: Ballad of Ballard Berkley on May 28, 2016, 08:14:09 AM
I think, however, we can all agree that Eek The Cat was very good in Ed Wood.

MuteBanana

Lose Winona, lose your head.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Sam on May 28, 2016, 08:19:17 AM
And Scissorhands, Brasco and a couple of others. Basically, he was good for a bit in the mid 90s.

I'd extend that to most of his 90s career as well as some of the 2000s.  Ed Wood, as we all say, is an outstanding performance, as are his turns in Fear & Loathing, Dead Man and The Brave, and I think he did a great job in movies like Finding Neverland and The Libertine (even if they weren't the greatest films).  His brief role in Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus is as good as it can be, and his roles in pretty poor films like Secret Window, Blow and The Ninth Gate raise them considerably above what they could've been.  I think he did pretty well in Sweeney Todd, and I'd also say his performance in the first Pirates was good - but look where that got him.

I'd say he's simultaneously among the most overrated and underrated actors.  As a person or "public figure", though, he's almost universally overrated.  He's just as much of a self-obsessed, money-oriented hack as any other huge actor (if not a tad moreso) which makes the "everyman outcast" schtick all the more nauseating.  It'd be much more forgivable if he was still involved in anything at all good, but it's been nearly 10 years since that's happened.

Steven

That fucking voice on him though? He's constantly trying to do Hunter S. Thompson or something or thinks he's auditioning for Dragnet, the monotonous bastard.

mook

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 28, 2016, 09:04:17 AM
I'd extend that to most of his 90s career as well as some of the 2000s.  Ed Wood, as we all say, is an outstanding performance, as are his turns in Fear & Loathing, Dead Man and The Brave, and I think he did a great job in movies like Finding Neverland and The Libertine (even if they weren't the greatest films).  His brief role in Imaginarium Of Dr Parnassus is as good as it can be, and his roles in pretty poor films like Secret Window, Blow and The Ninth Gate raise them considerably above what they could've been.  I think he did pretty well in Sweeney Todd, and I'd also say his performance in the first Pirates was good - but look where that got him.

I'd say he's simultaneously among the most overrated and underrated actors.  As a person or "public figure", though, he's almost universally overrated.  He's just as much of a self-obsessed, money-oriented hack as any other huge actor (if not a tad moreso) which makes the "everyman outcast" schtick all the more nauseating.  It'd be much more forgivable if he was still involved in anything at all good, but it's been nearly 10 years since that's happened.

yeah, but have you seen the width of the cunt's face? it's like the arse end of a dead eyed transit van backing up at you. the cunt

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Steven on May 28, 2016, 09:05:40 AM
That fucking voice on him though? He's constantly trying to do Hunter S. Thompson or something or thinks he's auditioning for Dragnet, the monotonous bastard.

He's pretty much a sponge for picking up mannerisms/accents/clothing from people he admires.  It's a bit like a teenager trying to emulate his idols.  I suppose it's a good trait for an actor to have, but it's always bit disturbing to see a 50-year-old man completely unable to be himself.  I'm not sure who he was trying to evoke when he did this interview in Irish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VtwNC9ByDA

Sam

Quote from: Steven on May 28, 2016, 09:05:40 AM

As I said at the time, his appearance on Graham Norton recently really shocked me. Charmless, inarticulate, incoherent, mumbling, monotonous. Like a fat slug that's been taught to talk. I think he thinks he's being louche, like his heroes; he could carry that off in the period Noodle described, but now he really does cut a tragic figure. All that money, fame and adoration counts for naught if you haven't got your shit together.

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 28, 2016, 09:12:06 AM
He's pretty much a sponge for picking up mannerisms/accents/clothing from people he admires.  It's a bit like a teenager trying to emulate his idols.  I suppose it's a good trait for an actor to have, but it's always bit disturbing to see a 50-year-old man completely unable to be himself.  I'm not sure who he was trying to evoke when he did this interview in Irish:

Well, hence I think he nicked the voice of Eek the Cat for Ed Wood, made in `94 the same year Ed Wood was made, fast production on that too. A naive voice of unbridled naivety and ambition. The voice MAKES the character, so it was canny as Wood was a sort of skeleton of a person but a driving enthusiast who attracted all these disperate people and pushed them into DOING SOMETHING, anything, a lot of these wallflowers have talent or ideas but aren't confident enough to carry then, Ed for all his faults had the balls to TRY and brought them all along for the ride. Legosi was a has-been heroind addict not long for this world and desired to ruination until Ed's extreme ardor brought him out of a twilight retirement, as Gag Halfrunt opines, Ed Wood's just this guy, yknow?

And here's Gilbert Gottfried's podcast with the screenwriters Scott Alexander & Larry Karaszewski who wrote the script who had the interesting approach of making Ed sympathetic rather than the klutz everyone thought of him as, and they were so right to do this. A nasty sneering approach may have be amusing but doesn't create much of a narrative other than repeating the same joke someone is useless in various different gredations. It's a very interesting listen as they also worked on Problem Child which obviously starred Gilbert, and their other strange adventures in the Hollywood system.

Quote from: Sam on May 28, 2016, 09:15:56 AM
As I said at the time, his appearance on Graham Norton recently really shocked me. Charmless, inarticulate, incoherent, mumbling, monotonous. Like a fat slug that's been taught to talk. I think he thinks he's being louche, like his heroes; he could carry that off in the period Noodle described, but now he really does cut a tragic figure. All that money, fame and adoration counts for naught if you haven't got your shit together.

He reminds me of Gervais in that way of Gervais wants to appear intelligent and artistic, a creative, but is always scared the mote will fall from the eye if he says too much. Desperate to not drop the illusion, has been lauded so much each appearence can only let the frontispiece drop at any moment, has to be oblique and only give off just enough to seem like he knows what the fuck he's on about, the Gervais with Dawkins interview is exemplary in this manner, you can SENSE Gervais' trepiditation that he might say sommat really thick and be picked up by Dawkins at any point. Thing is Dawkins is a more extreme example of same!

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: Steven on May 28, 2016, 09:17:01 AM
Well, hence I think he nicked the voice of Eek the Cat for Ed Wood, made in `94 the same year Ed Wood was made, fast production on that too. The voice MAKES the character, so it was canny as Wood was a sort of skeleton of a person but a driving enthusiast who attracted all these disperate people and pushed them into DOING SOMETHING, anything, a lot of these wallflowers have talent or ideas but aren't confident enough to carry then, Ed for all his faults had the balls to TRY and brought them all along for the ride.

I buy it when he says he based his performance on The Tin Man from The Wizard Of Oz.

I think the film was a very sympathetic portrayal of Wood - far more than it could've been, anyway.  If it weren't for that, I might not have been aware of films like Glen Or Glenda, which now sits high on my "films ahead of their time" list.  Moreover, it's just a really well-crafted movie.

Steven

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on May 28, 2016, 09:22:17 AM
I think the film was a very sympathetic portrayal of Wood - far more than it could've been, anyway.  If it weren't for that, I might not have been aware of films like Glen Or Glenda, which now sits high on my "films ahead of their time" list.  Moreover, it's just a really well-crafted movie.

Tim Burton's last actually great film? Brought in to direct at the last minute but yes the whole style of it is definitely his, but the script and angle it took is thanks to the script and of course the great perfomances by the mixed casting. I had it on video as a kid and watched it to death. Maurice Lamarche as Orson Welles, hah, that's a brilliant scene as Ed's so desperate to compare himself to Welles and he doesn't know Ed from a hole in the wall and just giving off sage advice that could very well be from the back of a cereal packet and droning on about himself as one is want to do.

Talulah, really!

Quote from: Steven on May 28, 2016, 09:17:01 AM
He reminds me of Gervais in that way of Gervais wants to appear intelligent and artistic, a creative, but is always scared the moat will fall from the eye if he says too much.

Marvellous, the irony of it.