Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:57:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

What have you found written in second-hand books?

Started by Barry Admin, October 09, 2017, 08:09:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

You'll all be disappointed to learn that the nude (but tasteful) photograph of my wife, which I'd been using as a bookmark about ten years ago, has been found still on these premises. I'd long feared it had been left in one of the many new-release hardcover SF books my brother used to pass on to me (and I'd then give to a charity shop after reading). Instead she found it in her copy of Andrey Kurkov's Death And The Penguin, strangely.

v00n

Quote from: Monsieur Verdoux on October 09, 2017, 08:31:35 PM

Perhaps because of the allegations about Koestler, perhaps simply a bored student.

Rape allegations, most of which were confirmed. He also shopped one of his girlfriends to the Russian Secret Police.

CUNT indeed.

jobotic

That's a real "separate the art from the artist" conundrum for me. It's years since I've read it but have recently had a real urge to do so again, as it is a fantastic book. But yes, the man was a cunt.

(Victor Serge's The Case of Comrade Tulayev is perhaps better though and not written by a rapist).

SpiderChrist

Found a telephone contact list for a London Alcoholics Anonymous group in my copy of John Lennon's In His Own Write.

cacciaguida

Quote from: mothman on January 04, 2022, 12:44:30 AMYou'll all be disappointed to learn that the nude (but tasteful) photograph of my wife, which I'd been using as a bookmark about ten years ago, has been found still on these premises. I'd long feared it had been left in one of the many new-release hardcover SF books my brother used to pass on to me (and I'd then give to a charity shop after reading). Instead she found it in her copy of Andrey Kurkov's Death And The Penguin, strangely.

Ha! That also reminds me to re-read DatP. Enjoyed it tremendously 10 or so years ago.

pigamus

Quote from: SpiderChrist on January 18, 2022, 07:25:28 PMFound a telephone contact list for a London Alcoholics Anonymous group in my copy of John Lennon's In His Own Write.

Doesn't Barbara Bach have beautiful handwriting?

Swift

Off the top of my head of books I have lying around...

Inside a penguin copy of Laurence Sterne's A Sentimental Journey, a label affixed to the front page stating that the book was bought in the Shandy Hall museum in 1982, and a picture postcard like advertisement for the Forresters Arms Hotel which google confirms as being nearby. 10 quid per person for bed and breakfast!

A penguin copy of Beowulf inscribed "C.R. Harrington, 1957" with a sticker stating "Canadian IGY Base, Lake Hazen, Ellesmere Island, N.W.T." and the coordinates. Related to this scientific project.

A hardback of a H.G. Wells book of the era with a dedication to someone "Happy Xmas 1916"

One of Jimmy Greaves' many books with original 1993 receipt, picked up last summer in a small Canadian mountain town.

Never really had much scribbling in books. The only one that stands out (and is not particularly interesting) was a rough sketch of northern France (presumably by a tourist) in a copy of Dubliners

Famous Mortimer

I'm reading "Gun, With Occasional Music" by Jonathan Lethem at the mo, and sadly the previous owner was the world's most literal note-taker. Every now and again, a paragraph will be highlighted, and in the margins it will say something like "Conrad is a drug addict". Perhaps they were just writing a very basic book review for a class, I suppose.

Inspector Norse

Got a book from the library last week and inside, having presumably been used as a bookmark, was a business card for the Senior Educator at the Nobel Prize Museum.

Sebastian Cobb

Bought a 2nd hand copy of Elmore Leonard's Rum Punch and found a 17 year old clipping about Jackie Brown inside.