Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:08:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The CaB Turner Prize

Started by Concerned But Powerless, February 20, 2004, 04:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Post things that you would consider entering for the Turner Prize.  I always like thinking about the thin line between genius and shite:

Past examples:

------

Vermschneid Mehearties

Never Seen that before. It's brilliant. Yes, I'll take a nice landscape for the turner prize. Something that takes a bit of skill to do, or something that is really thought provoking.

Maybe a bit of snot dribbling off a hanky draped over the crest of julie burchills big toe.

Almost Yearly

Fucking crap teen fantasy bollocks Yngwie Malmsteen cover, that^.

< stuff removed for being shit, I'll just leave this one: >

sproggy

Couldn't find the original, this was closest match.

wasp_f15ting

wow.. Thats fucking gorgeous.

mr rou-rou

you'll have to scroll down

http://tube.tfl.gov.uk/content/platformforart/artists/Shrigley.asp

anyone have Shrigley's book 'who I am and what I want', any good?

isn't he like Ivor Cutler, but without the songs and poems, and in photograph and illustration format, nothing like Ivor then really.

Bogey

He's more like Vic Reeves, especially his book sunboiledonions (no spaces, no caps, ppfh).

They're both good though:

There are better examples, but these were the best I could find.

sproggy

How about a couple from the great Vic man himself:

It's quite nice to spend a while browsing here if you are capable of ignoring the price tags.

I've always thought Vic Reeves's drawings are fantastic.  I love the way he draws people, he does a good Elvis.

I must say I took a look at some more Gilbert and George pictures and I think they're really good, here's a few more:

butnut

I saw Gilbert and George in Spitalfields last year - they had a young Asian man with them...

Quote from: "butnut"I saw Gilbert and George in Spitalfields last year - they had a young Asian man with them...

What are you implying?  I'm sure there wasn't anything funny going on...

:)

butnut

Quote from: "Concerned But Powerless"
Quote from: "butnut"I saw Gilbert and George in Spitalfields last year - they had a young Asian man with them...

What are you implying?  I'm sure there wasn't anything funny going on...

:)

I'm SURE they were just going out for dinner, or maybe inviting him round for tea and cakes.

mr rou-rou

I wonder if they invited him to one of their faeces examining rituals?

sir, your stool has blood in it?

that's because you two old queens have been tag team pounding me all night

oh don't be such a baby and have a cotton bung!

That David Shrigley book isn't that hot really, it has a few nice things to ponder but I think Vic will be more my thing when/if I ever get his book.

Bloke in shop who sold it to me said he's met Shrigley, said he was very calm and a bit dopey, I hope he doesn't read this and kill himself.

Funky Gibbon

I did my own modern art today. I pressed the print screen button in Azureus. It's probably about the same amount of work many modern artists put in.

I quite like the result.

fanny splendid

Yeah, that's all I do. I just think of something that's both easy to produce, and wacky enough to offend or amuse.

Just like all modern artists, I'm a big fraud, and I am kind of glad that this gets aired by the ignorant and the uneducated. For surely it is they, the lazy, who are Britain's creative force.

I feel cheated that I was fooled into attending university, when I could have become truly knowledgeable by mocking art in a pub, with 'me' mates.

Perhaps even using technical terms like, 'That's shite', or the ever popular, 'I could do that', because entering into a proper discourse would be counter productive?

After watching and listening to Chris Morris' product, I realised he was advocating a closed mind, and an unquestioning attitude. Just the type I was after. That's why I come here.

My subscription to the Daily Mail starts today.

mook

Ooh Funky, I think you've upset Fanny there. I'd be frit if I were you check out his location. I hope you don't drive slowly around in a big black convertible do you?

Funky Gibbon

Quote from: "Funky Gibbon"It's probably about the same amount of work many modern artists put in.

Quote from: "fanny splendid"Just like all modern artists, I'm a big fraud...
Read a little more carefully friend.

So you don't like my Azureus art then eh? That must be because of your closed mind.

Why is everyone so argumentative these days? Is it the weather or something?

fanny splendid

I wasn't just responding to your thread, but to all the recent posts about art, and the majority of those posts I have read since I have been coming to CaB.

In fact, and especially lately, my feelings aren't even restricted to posts about art.

I guess that my dissatisfaction is my problem, though.

As for your Azureus screen grab, I took it in the manner it was intended.

Funky Gibbon

I think most people's problem with modern art is that the finished product does not always show the depth of the work that has gone into creating it, particularly the apparently simplistic pieces. For all I know, that pile of bricks may be the work of months, but without the background, to the man on the street, it's just a pile of bricks.
As for the screen grab, even i'm not sure in what manner it was intended, but I genuinely do like it.