Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 04:45:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Them Batman Arkham games.

Started by Glebe, July 14, 2018, 08:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmoney

He's near the end, really? Fucking hell. Yeah, this game is bollocks.

gmoney

Apparently there are 2 bane fights and I just did the first one. I'm not sure if I'm cheered by that or not.

Kelvin

Quote from: gmoney on July 30, 2018, 11:29:55 AM
Apparently there are 2 bane fights and I just did the first one. I'm not sure if I'm cheered by that or not.

Yeah, but they're pretty close together. Both near the end.

AsparagusTrevor

I thought the worst Origins boss was Deathstroke, after a shit-ton of frustrating attempts I ended up beating him just by spamming Batman's roll.

It's one of those lazy video-game bosses where everything you've learned throughout the game before is useless and no amount of quick reflexes, skill or technique will help you because he's a fucking cheating bastard.

Glebe

So I've been playing Arkham City, it's good but I find it a little bit busy and over-complicated. The Penguin's awful mockney accent is painful to listen to, and female characters are constantly being referred to as being bitches.

But yeah, otherwise, it's top gaming. The graphics still hold up okay IMHO, although Bat's stary eyes are a little disconcerting. I'm currently trying without success to go round corners on the line launcher, ffs.

madhair60

Quote from: kalowski on July 30, 2018, 10:28:02 AM
Is it Arkham Knight with that bollocks batmobile section? If I wanted to play a driving game I'd buy a driving game. Never bothered getting past that bit. Bored.

Diminishing returns the Batman games.

Drivel. The batmobile is a fantastic breath of fresh air.

kalowski

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 10:28:21 AM
Drivel. The batmobile is a fantastic breath of fresh air.
Incorrect. It's an unwelcome intrusion into a game where you could wander about

madhair60

kalowski

Welcome to the madhouse, madhair60! I set a trap and you sprang it gloriously! Now let's get this party started.

madhair60

Fuckabout. (40 hours of riddler trophies) Jesus

bgmnts

Batmobile is fun for precisely for 10 minutes.

Sadly Rocksteady thought it was fun for almost all of the game.

Not good.

AsparagusTrevor

The Batmobile is fine as a car, although grapnel & glide is still the best way to get around.

As a tank? The tank-missions are fucking interminable. Just relentless, repetitive and dull and get in the way of the fun parts of the game. That's before we even get to the Cobra bits, the worst part of any Arkham game. Whoever thought it was a good idea to include tank-stealth sections needs firing. From a tank.

Even the Deathstroke boss is a tank battle, although I suppose we should be grateful it's not a rehash of the Arkham Oranges fight.

madhair60

Fucking LOVED the Cobra bits. I bet you were all just shit at them, being idiots and all.

AsparagusTrevor

I bet you'd sneak up on people in a tank in real life. You know that thing people do when they sneak up on someone and prod their sides with their fingers to make them jump? You'd do that but you'd do it in a tank you would. You'd go "boo!" behind someone's back, but you'd go "boo!" in a tank behind someone's back.

madhair60

I would. I am. I'm in a tank right now.

The Roofdog

The tank battles aren't that bad. The worst Batmobile thing is the Riddler speed challenges.

New Jack

I want to replay Arkham Knight but I get so fucked off by the Batmobile I almost immediately uninstall it, I resorted to trainers to give the Batmobile infinite health but that seems an offensive way around what I find a shockingly poor implementation of the Batmobile.

- Old News Jack

madhair60

New Jack

Frankly I find the very concept of "getting good" to be hopelessly elitist

Glebe

So I've finished Arkham City but I've not collected all the Riddler trophies nor done all the challenges and that.

kalowski

Quote from: madhair60 on August 02, 2018, 03:34:47 PM
Sounds like you're just shit.
I am shit, at driving games, which is why I don't buy them. Of course, the cunts that made this game sneaked a few driving games in, including one where I was supposed to drive around a track 3 times in a minute or something.

That was the last time I played this shit game.

Glebe

So I completed Origins (although I've not done all the side missions, nor collected all the Riddler things, and I'm not likely to neither... as with City, there's a number of really tricky ones which I don't know how to do). It was an enjoyable experience overall, although there are quite a few bugs going on.

I'm not likely to play Arkham Knight anytime soon, given that my five year old Lenovo Ideapad G500 with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 doesn't match up to the system requirements.

Hecate

If you're looking for something to play next, consider Spelunky
As close to gaming perfection as you can get.
When I list my 100 favourite games, this is number 1.
I'm 38 years old and I've been gaming all my life and I have really good taste.
Let that sink in.

This game is my number 1!!

The "Roguelite" genre is the best thing to happen to indie gaming in the last ten years. Take the procedural generation and permadeath of a roguelike and graft it onto any genre you see fit.

Why is this good for indie gaming?
Hipsters will tell you that indie gaming is where it's at. They're right, but you can't go prancing off blindly into the meadows with your rucksack full of vinyl and expect to be showered in gold.
90% of indie games are utter shite, but when comparing that to the 99% of "triple A" titles, it starts to make more sense.

I asked you why this is good for indie gaming?
Because, like in the olden days, you have to make a proper game, something that is still as fun and rewarding to play the hundredth time you start it up.

Instead of falling at the first hurdle and coming away with a disappointing handful of "some cunt died" sentimental story driven toss, and a few "one semi-interesting mechanic" platformers that outstay their welcome at exactly the 10 hour mark, start here, start with spelunky, the granddaddy, the best game ever made

You'll find a coherent living world where everything slots together perfectly, a semi-procedural level generation algorithm that punches your "muh hand crafted levels" enemies into submission, a pitch perfect difficulty where you're constantly teaching yourself through failure and gently pushing yourself to take more and more risks.
You'll find a game that has the perfect "make haste, slowly" pace, a game that occupies just enough of your brain that it's still interesting but you can play without thinking, on autopilot, you'll find a game that you can play while listening to music or podcasts, you'll find your playtime on steam

You'll find that you haven't slept in 5 days.
You'll find that spelunky 2 is coming out next year.
You'll find god.
You will find god.

Buy spelunky.

magval

Quote from: Glebe on August 31, 2018, 12:44:57 AM
So I completed Origins (although I've not done all the side missions, nor collected all the Riddler things, and I'm not likely to neither... as with City, there's a number of really tricky ones which I don't know how to do). It was an enjoyable experience overall, although there are quite a few bugs going on.

I'm not likely to play Arkham Knight anytime soon, given that my five year old Lenovo Ideapad G500 with integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 doesn't match up to the system requirements.

I got really lucky with Origins, which didn't bug out on me at all until my second playthrough, but when it did, it made the game unplayable as it removed something from my inventory that I needed to get up a lift shaft.

I loved Origins. At the time it came out, I hadn't played City since it was itself released, so I wasn't as keenly aware how much it plays like City until I returned to City a few months after. I still maintain it has the best atmosphere out of any of the games, and Joker and Bane are given some really strong writing. Love the buzz gloves.

It's a shame it's never likely to get one of those nice PS4 remasters but fuck it. It lives on in glow of mine memorie.

biggytitbo

Playing Arkham Knight, pretty bugger isnt it? Struggling to get a grip with the gameplay though, seems needlessly overcomplicated and keeps changing game style.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

The ultra mega deluxe version of Arkham Knight is available on the PS4 store for a tenner (down from something ridiculous, like eighty quid) until tomorrow. Are the batmobile bits really game ruiningly shit, or can they mostly be ignored?

biggytitbo

They do crop up too often but I didn't actually find them a massive chore, it's sort of like a mini game that plays like some old school arcade game. A bit annoying towards the end but it doesn't ruin it at all. Despite my reservations about the uneven gameplay I quite enjoyed the game overall, although I hear the previous one is better and is available in a remastered version.

magval

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 29, 2018, 09:04:27 PM
The ultra mega deluxe version of Arkham Knight is available on the PS4 store for a tenner (down from something ridiculous, like eighty quid) until tomorrow. Are the batmobile bits really game ruiningly shit, or can they mostly be ignored?

They can't be ignored - they're mandatory sections that you have to playthrough, but I reckon if you don't bother spending any XP upgrading the Batmobile they can be 'ignored' in that sense. Don't do any of the optional sidequest ones.

One thing I will say about Arkham Knight is that I've revisited the first three games many times (on PS3 and PS4 both) and I haven't played Knight again since the month it came out. It looks better and it's bigger but it's not a patch on Asylum for atmosphere or City in general. I prefer Origins, too.

But - tenner. I paid something like sixty quid for it. It's definitely worth ten quid.

madhair60

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 29, 2018, 09:04:27 PM

They're actively good, everyone is just a piss person.

Glebe

So I went and got Batman: Return to Arkham for me Xbox One on the Microsoft Store for €15. There was some controversy about the remaster (which was not done by Rocksteady) concerning the graphics/framerate I believe, but it seems okay to me. Enjoying playing through Asylum again. Forgot how shitty the Bane fight is, though.