Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 06:36:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ricky Gervais: SuperNature

Started by Blue Jam, July 29, 2018, 02:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cuellar

Sounds well good!!!

Although to be fair, only twenty quid. Not a bad price for a colossal megasuperstar hollywood a-lister.

Blue Jam

phantom_power

Imagine someone doing AIDS jokes in 2019

Blue Jam

It's amazing to consider that Gervais is childfree when so much of his material seems to have come from school playgrounds.

phes

Ricky Gervais doing AIDS jokes is probably an indication of the last time he was sexually active when his wife wanted to fuck him

Dr Sanchez

Quote from: phes on April 09, 2019, 03:20:47 PM
Ricky Gervais doing AIDS jokes is probably an indication of the last time he was sexually active when his wife wanted to fuck him

He isn't married. Gervais doesn't go in for social conformities, yeah. Get with the programme, guy.

Blue Jam

His Caitlyn Jenner material was about two years out of date so perhaps it's not surprising that he's now doing AIDS material that's 30 years out of date.

Netflix special #3 will probably feature Sweden's high suicide rate and white dog poo. He could be the edgelord Peter Kay.

Ferris

Quote from: Blue Jam on April 09, 2019, 12:51:57 PM
Gervais does an impersonation of AIDS.

The natural endpoint of his shtick

Blue Jam

St_Eddie

"There's been an AIDS up there."

Konki

I've not read the thread yet but there's a review up on the Guardian site: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/may/30/ricky-gervais-review-liam-neeson-louis-ck-netflix-supernature

The comments are astonishing. My favourite so far:

QuoteMore necessary than ever. Great comic mind.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Konki on May 30, 2019, 07:13:12 PM
I've not read the thread yet but there's a review up on the Guardian site: https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/may/30/ricky-gervais-review-liam-neeson-louis-ck-netflix-supernature

The comments are astonishing. My favourite so far:

From the review:

QuoteOne routine after another is designed to flout PC propriety and startle us with rudeness. There's the one about the "Chinaman" who mixes his L's and R's. (Yes, really).

I believe the only logical response is "Fucking hell".

jobotic

Come on, a "flied lice" gag is needed now more than ever.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: jobotic on May 30, 2019, 07:52:48 PM
Come on, a "flied lice" gag is needed now more than ever.

Hmmm, I'm not so sure but I'll test it out when I'm teaching my Chinese kids tomorrow and get back to you.

bigfatheart

A few days ago a co-worker was saying how much she loved Ricky Gervais, especially his newer stuff. The same colleague was getting nostalgic for Little Britain a few days earlier, and in particular she was doing a gleeful impression of Ting-Tong, their Thai bride character, and saying how you're not even allowed to have fun anymore without the PC brigade coming along, etc. So I suppose she'll be happy.

Jumblegraws

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on May 30, 2019, 07:48:29 PM
From the review:

I believe the only logical response is "Fucking hell".
I'm getting Afterlife deja vu, the content of that review seems to add up to less than the 3 stars given.

BritishHobo

Remember in the David Brent film when David Brent and Del Boy were standing up in the office going HERRO I'M HO LEE FUK at the top of their voices, and the Finchy bully-type character, the one we're meant to think is the unreasonable prick, the alpha-male lad type, told them to shut the fuck up and get on with their work? What an incisive comment on office life.

Ferris

Quote from: bigfatheart on May 30, 2019, 08:18:26 PM
A few days ago a co-worker was saying how much she loved Ricky Gervais, especially his newer stuff. The same colleague was getting nostalgic for Little Britain a few days earlier, and in particular she was doing a gleeful impression of Ting-Tong, their Thai bride character, and saying how you're not even allowed to have fun anymore without the PC brigade coming along, etc. So I suppose she'll be happy.

Straight in the desolation thread - cheers!

Dr Rock

The Guardian review suggests he's still nicking things from what Karl Pilkington said nearly 20 years ago.

Mobius

Yeah I seem to recall the 2 episodes of After Life I watched had numerous little bits he'd ripped from Pilkers.

I still listen to the old radio stuff and Gervais could be so funny sometimes. At least Merchant isn't a wanker.

Petey Pate

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 30, 2019, 11:30:19 PM
The Guardian review suggests he's still nicking things from what Karl Pilkington said nearly 20 years ago.

Unless it was material written by Gervais in the first place anyway ahhh.

Seriously though, I think every stand-up show Gervais has done has had large chunks of material directly lifted from things Karl Pilkington has said on the xfm radio shows.

Mr Faineant

He's on Sam Harris' podcast this week. This ought to be good, I wonder what profundity he will drop for us. Let me guess...wokeness, the right to be offensive, how thoughtful, layered, and deep his work is, how it's not his fault if people don't get irony, etc., etc.

PlanktonSideburns

Dr Rock

Gervais 'religion is shit isn't it?'
Harris 'Yes especially the muslims'

Dr Rock

Quote from: Mr Faineant on July 13, 2019, 04:03:42 PM
He's on Sam Harris' podcast this week. This ought to be good, I wonder what profundity he will drop for us. Let me guess...wokeness, the right to be offensive, how thoughtful, layered, and deep his work is, how it's not his fault if people don't get irony, etc., etc.

17 minutes in, he's already done all that.

Blue Jam

I am going to have to hate-listen to this aren't I? I won't be able to resist.

Has Gervais asked Ham Sarris if he'd let him replace Christopher Hitchens as The Fourth Horseman Of Atheism?

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Dr Rock on July 13, 2019, 07:35:21 PM
17 minutes in, he's already done all that.
Ha! Has he told Sam about some tweets he's done?

Mr Faineant

Quote from: Blue Jam on July 13, 2019, 09:07:49 PM
I am going to have to hate-listen to this aren't I? I won't be able to resist.

Has Gervais asked Ham Sarris if he'd let him replace Christopher Hitchens as The Fourth Horseman Of Atheism?

It sounds like the perfect vehicle for a hate listen. I assume he is a big Sam Harris fan, so listening to him snivel sounds delightful.

Cold Meat Platter

American atheism is so fucking annoying and smug. Big fucking conferences and stuff. I mean I know that that's needed in America because of the sheer inertia of ignorance they have to deal with over there but when they start coming over here with lectures and other assorted AIDS I just think, yeah mate. We've known all this for ages over here. It ceased being edgy in the mid to late 20th century.

Which is also coincidentally when Gervais' playground jokes are from.

Mr Faineant

It's almost as annoying and smug as American Christians like Mike Pence...a grown man who calls his wife "mother." I hate that cunt, with his fucking face and his refusal to answer questions. I moved to America from England in 2003...it was very strange when I realized how religious they are. You are right, it hasn't been relevant in England for any of my life, but it's still a powerful and damaging force over here. As smug and cunty as these things indeed are, I think constant public criticism of toxic Christianity is needed. I don't think it does much good in the short term, it just adds to division and defensiveness, but over time the constant drum beat shifts the consensus.