Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 08:56:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recommend me a fucking amazing film

Started by Small Man Big Horse, November 23, 2018, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frajer

Quote from: Junglist on December 22, 2021, 08:04:17 PMDinner In America.

Best film of the year.

Ahh watched that over the weekend and bloody loved it.

Had the Watermelon Song going round in my head all week.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Egyptian Feast on December 22, 2021, 05:53:27 PMIt is definitely worth a watch, but you're absolutely right to avoid it for the time being if that's how you're feeling. I thought it was great, but couldn't imagine putting myself through it again, especially not at the moment. The violence is pretty severe from the beginning and although the payoff justifies everything, it's a tough watch at any time.

That kind of sums up how I feel about Irreversible, the ending made what came before it something I don't regret watching, but there's no way I'd watch it again, and given the recommendations I'll give Martyrs a shot at some point, but probably not until less bleak times.

Quote from: prwc on December 22, 2021, 08:02:01 PMFilms I've seen and loved recently that you may too:

What Happened Was...
Housekeeping
Peking Opera Blues
The Astrologer (the Craig Denny one, not the James Glickenhaus from the same year with the same title it's often mistaken for)

Thanks for all of those recommendations, they sound intriguing and I'll definitely watch them at some point soon.

Best film of the year.

That looks like my kind of thing too, so I'll give it a shot soon too.

Small Man Big Horse

Best film of the year.

Quote from: frajer on December 22, 2021, 08:10:58 PMAhh watched that over the weekend and bloody loved it.

Had the Watermelon Song going round in my head all week.

I wouldn't say it's the best film of the year (for me, obviously) but I really did enjoy it a lot:

Dinner In America (2020) - I watched the first ten minutes of this a very few months back and decided I didn't want to spend 110 odd minutes in the company of the lead character, a punk singer who goes around setting fire to things and being confrontational. But a couple of recommendations later led me to giving it a second go and I'm so glad I did, it's essentially an odd couple romance with a slice of satire of small town life and has a really sweet natured spirit at the heart of it, while the two central characters have fantastic chemistry, all of which combined to make it a surprisingly enjoyable watch. 7.9/10

Junglist

Yeah that opening is a bit jarring as it's the complete antithesis of what the film becomes. But as you say it settles into a really sweet, funny, charming romance.

Not normally my bag but by the end me and the missus just looked at each other and grinned so hard. A real surprise.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Junglist on December 23, 2021, 02:20:31 PMYeah that opening is a bit jarring as it's the complete antithesis of what the film becomes. But as you say it settles into a really sweet, funny, charming romance.

Not normally my bag but by the end me and the missus just looked at each other and grinned so hard. A real surprise.

I'm not a big rom-com fan either, but this is different enough, and so well written, that I hope it finds the audience it deserves.

Quote from: prwc on December 22, 2021, 08:02:01 PMThe Astrologer (the Craig Denny one, not the James Glickenhaus from the same year with the same title it's often mistaken for)

The Astrologer (1976) - Craig  Alexander (Director Craig Denney) is a fairground based astrologer and struggling to get by, that is until he meets up with some diamond smugglers and before you know he's in a Kenyan prison, then he's shooting snakes, stealing gems, taking a long boat ride to Tahiti and hanging out in a bar while the cameraman repeatedly films the toilet and there's some inexplicably pointless topless nudity. Unfortunately new girlfriend Diane is a racist shit but the film doesn't dwell on that and about two minutes later Alexander is back in America, and the film continues to be increasingly mad and all over the place, with the occasional long, drawn out scene, but it's that kind of unpredictability that makes it so much fun. According to imdb "Allegedly...The film was shot without a script utilizing horoscopes each day of production" and I can absolutely believe that, it's a very dodgy load of nonsense, but one I found myself consistently entertained by. 7.0/10

Junglist

Two days into 2022 and I've already watched a contender for my film of the year, The Humans. Just wonderful. Get on it.

Dr Rock

THE FRIENDS OF EDDIE COYLE (1973)

Ex-con Robert Mitchum reluctantly gets involved with some violent criminals. Fucking Ace.

Ja'moke

I watched Shiva Baby last night. Set at a Jewish funeral service, where Rachel Sennott's character runs into her sugar daddy and awkwardness ensues. I really enjoyed it. Has a claustrophobic tension to it while also being very funny in places.

Ron Superior

Bumping this thread cos I think it's great and worth keeping going.

After falling through a Netflix "more like this" rabbit hole I got to experience:

Egg! Egg! A Hardboiled Story

A Swedish dark comedy from 1975 about the patriarch of an egg factory. Written and directed by Hans Alfredson, it's very funny, unique and takes the viewer on quite the journey. I'm going to work my way through more of his works, there's quite a bit of it on Netflix, but I heartily recommend Egg! Egg!

zomgmouse

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 30, 2022, 08:19:34 PMBumping this thread cos I think it's great and worth keeping going.

After falling through a Netflix "more like this" rabbit hole I got to experience:

A Swedish dark comedy from 1975 about the patriarch of an egg factory. Written and directed by Hans Alfredson, it's very funny, unique and takes the viewer on quite the journey. I'm going to work my way through more of his works, there's quite a bit of it on Netflix, but I heartily recommend Egg! Egg!

This sounds terrific, thanks for the rec!

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 31, 2022, 01:16:45 AMCool thanks, hope you enjoy!

That sounds like my cup of tea as well so I've obtained it, and if anyone else wants it just pm me.

Bobby Treetops

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 30, 2022, 08:19:34 PMBumping this thread cos I think it's great and worth keeping going.

I can also recommend from the same writer/director The Simple-Minded Murderer, this might be on Netflix as well.

Ron Superior

Indeed it is, sounds great, and it's in my watchlist to watch tonight!

Glebe

Watched Rear Window again last night, hadn't seen it in a long time, absolute fucking belter.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Ron Superior on August 30, 2022, 08:19:34 PMEgg! Egg! A Hardboiled Story

Thanks again for the recommendation, I loved this a huge amount, for about the first third I wasn't quite sure where it was going to go, but the direction it takes is beautifully strange and it's something I'm so glad I got the chance to see. 8.3/10

purlieu

Xtro
Alien sci-fi horror fun with low budget Cronenberg style prosthetic gore. Has some of the most memorable and visceral practical effects of any film I've seen. While you watch it, keep in mind it was marketed in an ET exploitation type manner, for extra laughs.

Phase IV
Ant-based sci-fi horror fun. It's pretty imaginative, but the real gold is in the original ending, which was cut at the studio's request. It's on YouTube, though, and is utterly wonderfully bonkers.

I'd definitely second the aforementioned Songs from the Second Floor, ideally in tandem with the rest of the trilogy, You, the Living and A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence.

Werckmeister Harmonies
Long, slow, black and white Hungarian art film with subtitles. Bring ya mates!

Ron Superior

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on September 04, 2022, 07:03:24 PMThanks again for the recommendation, I loved this a huge amount, for about the first third I wasn't quite sure where it was going to go, but the direction it takes is beautifully strange and it's something I'm so glad I got the chance to see. 8.3/10

Ah, glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. Yeah, I loved the advert and the song and dance number at the start but was thinking it needed to go somewhere, and then both did it ever!

Glebe

Quote from: purlieu on September 04, 2022, 07:41:44 PMXtro
Alien sci-fi horror fun with low budget Cronenberg style prosthetic gore. Has some of the most memorable and visceral practical effects of any film I've seen. While you watch it, keep in mind it was marketed in an ET exploitation type manner, for extra laughs.

Did a thread about that.

As for Phase IV, must finally check that out.

purlieu

Haha, no surprise I had the first reply in there.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: bgmnts on September 05, 2022, 06:52:47 PMRobo Geisha.

Heh, I did enjoy that, I mean it's a sexist piece of shit, but if you can get past that the level of daft gore and the ridiculous plot made me laugh an awful lot.

Glebe

famethrowa

The 1990 movie The Freshman used Asian water monitors to represent a Komodo dragon.

At the screening I was at, I DEMANDED a refund because of this.

First, but not the last time that I got a drubbing from a pimply-faced 17 year-old assistant manager. #taybarns

phantom_power

Prince of Darkness by John Carpenter is one of the best films I have seen in years. I was really surprised at how good it was and don't know why it isn't classed in the top tier of his films such as The Thing and Halloween

McDead

On the one hand, I would recommend Paul Schrader's extravagant, intimate portrait of Japanese author/fascist/madman Yukio Mishima. Incredible colours, amazing soundtrack. A lot of the score was cherry picked for use in the Truman Show.

On the other, dumber hand, I also greatly enjoyed Michael Bay's maximalist morality tale AmbuLAnce. As OTT and ridiculous as any of his Transformers films, but undeniably thrilling. Actually has something to say about the brutalising nature of modern capitalism, the dignity of labour and so on. Shallow stuff, but diverting.

Bit of a weird one, and I only recommend this quite cautiously, but Liam Neeson's latest "one old man versus the world" movie, Memory is surprisingly entertaining, with a few surprises. The film is set in America, but it was filmed in Europe and almost every actor in it is British doing a yank accent. This sounds dreadful, but it's actually a decent potboiler about a hitman who is losing his marbles, and the Guy Pearce who has to hunt him down. Directed by Martin Campbell with his usual brio (though not much in the way of intriguing flourishes).

These are my three favourite films

famethrowa

Quote from: McDead on September 07, 2022, 03:03:55 AMOn the one hand, I would recommend Paul Schrader's extravagant, intimate portrait of Japanese author/fascist/madman Yukio Mishima. Incredible colours, amazing soundtrack. A lot of the score was cherry picked for use in the Truman Show.

Also for the Big Train Chairman Mao sketch!

Josef K

Watched Corpus Christi (2019) and it's the best film I've watched this year.

Bleak Polish drama where a lad gets out of juvie on parole and sacks off his work detail and poses as a priest in a small, fractured town. Incredibly captivating performances and it flies by. Good to go in as blind as possible.

McDead

Quote from: famethrowa on September 07, 2022, 04:50:28 AMAlso for the Big Train Chairman Mao sketch!

*Opening riff of Virginia Plain plays*

Ron Superior

Quote from: purlieu on September 04, 2022, 07:41:44 PMXtro

Quote from: Glebe on September 05, 2022, 04:57:19 PMDid a thread about that.

As for Phase IV, must finally check that out.

Watched Xtro off the back of these recs and what fun! The amount of times I'd be thinking hmm, this is a bit shit and then literally seconds later being like, woah, amazing! Some genuinely quite shocking effects. Cool!