Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:57:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

I STILL FUCKING LOVE CATS

Started by Cerys, May 25, 2019, 12:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buelligan

Love those beauty kittens.

Quote from: Alberon on December 18, 2021, 05:35:18 PMSo last sunday my 85 year old mum phones me up and says she's sprained her wrist. The local walk-in centre has been taken over by Covid vaccinations so I end up taking her straight to A&E.

I thought mum's hand looked more swollen than her wrist and she tells me her cat dabbed her quite hard a couple of days previously.

As you can probably guess from the thread this is in it turned out mum had an infection caused by the cat scratch rather than a strain. Her cat is a rescue and only tolerates my mum, I've seen it in the flesh just three or four times in about eight years. Even with my mum the cat can have a bit of a temper from time to time.

Mum ended up being admitted to hospital for three days on intravenous antibiotics. She's at home now and the hand is slowly going down. Never realised cat scratches and bites can be so serious.

Not just cats, even flowers - https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/woman-died-after-being-pricked-by-rose-thorn-9175388.html

I keep an antiseptic wound spray on hand, always.  Always wash any scratch or cut thoroughly and give it a spray.  Keep it clean and dry.  Don't fuck about with the little stuff and the big stuff (most of it) will hopefully fuck off. 

Very glad to hear your mum's on the mend!

touchingcloth

In my experience, cat scratches can take ages to heal even if they don't get infected. They seem to leave tiny little slivers of claw in the wounds they make, and of course they use their paws for burying their own piss and shit.

Icehaven

Jittlebags

This is Evil Cat from next door, a bit earlier today. Viewing my borders with a view to curling one off.

bgmnts

Deffo evil as fuck vibes coming off of them.

Pink Gregory

So in the last two days Lily has -

gone missing in the house (she was in the dark corner of a cupboard)

set fire to herself (sat on a lit candle)

itsfredtitmus

i petted someones monster of a ginger cat a few days ago now it follows me down the street and every time i open the door late at night its THERE trying to get to my cats

itsfredtitmus

i will make that cat mine if its the lats thing i do
the explicable charisma of the rival cat owner

turnstyle

We got another cat around August time, much to the chagrin of our existing puss, a three year old moggy we've had since she was a kitten, and whom has been utterly spoiled.

We thought, naively, that the new cat would be good company for the older one.

What we've done instead, is homed a small, whirling ball of fluff that spins around the homestead like a fucking beyblade, only stopping temporary for poops and food, and even then not always.

Whenever the older one even steps foot inside the house, the kitten is on her like Manson on a groupie. The click of the cat flap opening is all it takes - ears up, barrelling towards her and jumping all over her back. Now, obviously, we know it's just childish exuberance, but it's hard to convey that to a cat.

The older cat is massively fucked off with us, and has been holding a grudge ever since. No more lap cuddles. No more chin strokes. She doesn't even look at us anymore. The most connection we have is a some small recognition when we feed her, after which she's all 'later cunts' and fucks off out again.

I am really, really hoping the kitten mellows a bit, because the alternative is that we are doomed to spend the rest of our (or tbh, their) lives peacekeeping between the two of them.

There's the odd moment of calm. The kitten clearly wants to play with the other cat and hang out with her, and sometimes I'll find them both fast asleep on the bed next to each other, and be lulled into thinking everything is gonna be allllllright....then a few hours later they're at each other again with home made shivs.

TheGingerAlien

steve98

Dear dear. Look at this poor sap wearin' a shower-cap (Legend Keith up there would 'ave 'im for breakfast.)

bgmnts

Why would you deliberately breed something into existence that looks like a walking ballbag?

imitationleather

Quote from: bgmnts on December 23, 2021, 03:10:53 PMWhy would you deliberately breed something into existence that looks like a walking ballbag?

Ask yer parents!

steve98

It only goes wrinkley if you've left it in the bath too long. It'll soon taughten up when it's dry.

Icehaven

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on December 20, 2021, 08:59:29 PMi petted someones monster of a ginger cat a few days ago now it follows me down the street and every time i open the door late at night its THERE trying to get to my cats

Quote from: itsfredtitmus on December 21, 2021, 01:01:28 PMSAW HER AGAIN

To be boringly factual it's probably a boy, as something like 90% of ginger cats are male. 

mothman

Quote from: bgmnts on December 23, 2021, 03:10:53 PMWhy would you deliberately breed something into existence that looks like a walking ballbag?
You bastard. I had a mouthful of Coke Zero when I read this.

imitationleather

Adorable. I'd love one but I doubt I could be arsed with giving a cat a bath once a week.

monkfromhavana

Any advice on cats overgrooming? We have taken Alan to the vet, who guesses he has an allergy, but it's not food or brand of washing powder we use etc. He gets prescribed steroids for a few weeks, stops licking his belly, but not enough for fur to grow back. Finishes steroids and starts up again.

Is it worth paying for an allergy test? The house we're in at the moment is very old and damp, with a shit landlord who refuses to update anything. Hopefully moving in new year, so maybe that will help clear things up?

TheGingerAlien

Quote from: monkfromhavana on December 23, 2021, 06:26:51 PMAny advice on cats overgrooming? We have taken Alan to the vet, who guesses he has an allergy, but it's not food or brand of washing powder we use etc. He gets prescribed steroids for a few weeks, stops licking his belly, but not enough for fur to grow back. Finishes steroids and starts up again.

Is it worth paying for an allergy test? The house we're in at the moment is very old and damp, with a shit landlord who refuses to update anything. Hopefully moving in new year, so maybe that will help clear things up?

When did it start?  Is Alan an outdoor cat?  Stress is sometimes a factor (could be fighting over territory or something) along with the usual flea type suspects.  My cat was like yours for a while and it turned out his usual flea stuff wasn't cutting the mustard.  Had an injection to bolster the monthly flea drops and it ultimately sorted out his woes.  They were on about bunging him on anti-depressants prior to that which I wasn't really keen on.

Allergy test could be worth it, but cats normally have no issue with old, damp shit properties in my experience.  Anyways - hopefully if you move it will sort everything out in one go... Fingers crossed!

monkfromhavana

Quote from: TheGingerAlien on December 23, 2021, 06:37:40 PMWhen did it start?  Is Alan an outdoor cat?  Stress is sometimes a factor (could be fighting over territory or something) along with the usual flea type suspects.  My cat was like yours for a while and it turned out his usual flea stuff wasn't cutting the mustard.  Had an injection to bolster the monthly flea drops and it ultimately sorted out his woes.  They were on about bunging him on anti-depressants prior to that which I wasn't really keen on.

Allergy test could be worth it, but cats normally have no issue with old, damp shit properties in my experience.  Anyways - hopefully if you move it will sort everything out in one go... Fingers crossed!

Yeah, Alan's an outdoor cat. There are a few other cats around, but he seems to be pretty chilled. He's never had any problems with fleas etc. Quite a happy kitty with no behavioural issues whatsoever. We try and keep on top of the dust and shit here, but it's a real pain. Maybe the new house will sort him out.

pupshaw

I saw this at a car boot today and couldn't stop looking at it. Walked away and came back later and bought it for 50p. I just couldn't face the thought of this wonderful expression of love to get trashed.

It's probably a very old picture of a long gone boy. I just couldn't get out of my head how much he must have been loved, and also sadly how much he must have been missed. And I guess his owner has died.

He lives on!!

mothman

Buelligan

Just reporting in that my cat lies in his bed all day farting and smiling.  Curled round in a lovely loose circle of silken fur, purring and blowing off like a grampus.  I love him.

bgmnts

My cat has literally shit himself at least five times now over the past few months. Just little excited or careless rabbit pellets on the sofa.

How many does he need to drop before it might be an issue and we have the vet take a look at him?

Buelligan

I don't know.  If he's happy and healthy, I'd say infinite, an infinite number of times.

steve98

He might just be the kind of unfortunate individual who occasional shits himself. I wouldn't worry about it.

pigamus

Quote from: pupshaw on January 02, 2022, 09:39:36 PM

I saw this at a car boot today and couldn't stop looking at it. Walked away and came back later and bought it for 50p. I just couldn't face the thought of this wonderful expression of love to get trashed.

It's probably a very old picture of a long gone boy. I just couldn't get out of my head how much he must have been loved, and also sadly how much he must have been missed. And I guess his owner has died.

He lives on!!

He looks like an American Civil War general

bgmnts

Quote from: Buelligan on February 03, 2022, 02:17:07 PMI don't know.  If he's happy and healthy, I'd say infinite, an infinite number of times.

Quote from: steve98 on February 03, 2022, 02:23:26 PMHe might just be the kind of unfortunate individual who occasional shits himself. I wouldn't worry about it.

Fair enough. It doesn't bother me at all it's a mild inconvenience at best just wanted to see if anyone had experience of having a cat with a relaxed arsehole.

Buelligan