Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 06:53:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Horror films

Started by dr_christian_troy, October 24, 2019, 11:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Junglist on December 04, 2021, 11:24:40 PMBeta Test is my first Cummings and seeing that performance, considering 90% of the soulless fuck awful drek that passes in films these days, it was almost a revelation.

I can see though, that if he does the same in every film, by the third or fourth it'd grate.

Yeah, I'd say definitely go and watch Thunder Road though it is very good and absolutely was revelatory when I first saw it.

AsparagusTrevor

If you really wanna see the range of Jim Cummings check out The Tigger Movie, he's like a totally different guy.

zomgmouse

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on December 21, 2021, 07:22:17 PMWow you didn't like The Innocents? You can't have watched the original though as it the children are very British as is a very British Debra Kerr and not Norwegian at all.  If you've not seen the original then it is a must (the 1961 version).

ahh sorry yes to clarify this was the 2021 film that has nothing to do with the james adaptation by jack clayton which i have seen and is fantastic (though definitely worth a rewatch as i watched it in high school literature class)

The Last Rite stunk to high heaven. I don't mind a half arsed possession film now and then but this was piss weak. A real bargain bin exorcist, hitting almost all of the same beats.

They had the nerve to do a homage to that famous shot of the priest standing next to the street light and looking up at the window, and it was so fucking shit, I remember thinking "I see what you're going for, but I'm pretty sure that shot was perfectly framed and lit and they had a bit of spooky mist and shit. You're not gonna at least have a stab at something like that?"
I've always felt 1 star was low enough for even the shitest films I've seen, but I'd definitely give this fuck all.

The Thing (2011) was aaaalright! Pleasantly surprised by this. It just seemed like a pointless remake when it came out and it was made a big thing of that they were using lots of CGI and you could just never better those practical effects in the 82 version, so I skipped it at the time.
It's not a bad little film, and a lot of the effects, until the last third of the film, at least, are actually pretty good.
The woman in it was pretty, I thought. It was a nice comfy watch, you sort of know what you're in for, but a bit different, and it's always nice watching something set in the snow and everyone looks freezing and you're all snuggled up in your big muppet costume.

TrenterPercenter

Did Terror Train it's ok.  There are ample amounts of frat Americans due for a good butchering but not enough of them get off'd for my liking (for this kind of thing).  The ending is also all kinds of cra-cra and is probably watching just for that bit.

zomgmouse

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on January 03, 2022, 03:25:40 PMDid Terror Train it's ok.  There are ample amounts of frat Americans due for a good butchering but not enough of them get off'd for my liking (for this kind of thing).  The ending is also all kinds of cra-cra and is probably watching just for that bit.

I thought Terror Train was another name for (speaking of The Thing) Horror Express.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 04, 2022, 12:23:50 AMI thought Terror Train was another name for (speaking of The Thing) Horror Express.

No this is the one with Jamie Lee Curtis - has been mentioned in the thread before I think.

Didn't think much of Lucky (2020)

The tone never felt right, and you never felt like the characters were in danger.
Very repetitive and it takes a long time to say not very much at all.
Two bagger.

SteveDave

Meander

It starts off with a woman lying on the ground all sad because it's the anniversary of her daughter dying. Then she gets picked up by a man in a truck. Then the radio says "The killer looks like the bloke you're sat next to". He brakes, she slams her face into the dashboard and then she wakes up in a metal box. The next 20 minutes are her crawling around metal tunnels that really made me feel claustrophobic. Then it gets weird.

Spoiler alert
Turns out she and the man (he's in the tunnels too) have been abducted by aliens and forced to figure a way out? I thought they were in purgatory and had to figure a way to Heaven or stay in perpetual Hell crawling forever but there's a manky skull with a tube sticking out of it's mouth that "feeds" her and sews up her cuts. The burnt up man chasing her added a nice touch of business (I didn't realise it was him until I saw he only had one hand) but the ending was a little strange. So was she in Heaven? Or on another planet?
[close]

SteveDave

"Broadcast Signal Intrusion"

An archivist for a TV channel finds one show that's got a broadcast signal intrusion in it. Then he goes on the hunt for more.

I bloody loved this. It felt dreamlike without having to resort to "WOAH I'M IN A DREAM LADS" things. The ending was weird but not infuriatingly so. It felt a little like "They Look Like People" from 2015 in atmosphere.

zomgmouse

Quote from: SteveDave on January 14, 2022, 11:12:03 AM"Broadcast Signal Intrusion"

An archivist for a TV channel finds one show that's got a broadcast signal intrusion in it. Then he goes on the hunt for more.

I bloody loved this. It felt dreamlike without having to resort to "WOAH I'M IN A DREAM LADS" things. The ending was weird but not infuriatingly so. It felt a little like "They Look Like People" from 2015 in atmosphere.

ah great to hear! i loved it too, just so fiendishly captivating

Thanks for the recommendation! I watched this last night. It had a lovely cosey vibe to it.
I thought the guy who played the lead was overacting a little bit, he'd be good if he turned it down a couple of notches, but other than that, yeah, it was canny!

TrenterPercenter

On yer Shudder you've got WOODLANDS DARK AND DAYS BEWITCHED a 3hr+ documentary on folk horror.  It's excellent, really comprehensive and an absolute treasure trove of little known movies that you could then try and find.

https://woodlandsdarkanddaysbewitched.com

Small Man Big Horse

Tokyo Gore Police (2008) - More J-splatter from Yoshihiro Nishimura but this is a far patchier effort than usual, at 110 minutes it's a good half hour overlong, there's a brief but unforgivable scene with a character in blackface, and it tries to add depth to the characters but fails badly. On the plus side the gore is sometimes hilariously inventive, with highlights being
Spoiler alert
a half crocodile half woman creature, a gun which fires severed but sentient fists, and one of the main villains has guns for eyes and his brains on show, and there's also some blood splattered satirical adverts which amused too
[close]
. It's not something I regret watching then, but reviews suggest I've watched all of Nishimura's best work in the genre now, so I'm not sure I'll be seeing anything he's made for a while at the very least. 6.7/10

SteveDave

Quote from: SteveDave on January 14, 2022, 11:12:03 AM"Broadcast Signal Intrusion"

We followed this up with "The Signal" another film (partly) from Jacob Gentry. TVs and radios everywhere are broadcasting a signal that warps peoples minds and makes them want to kill. It's broken up into three "transmissions" with the first following a woman who's cheating on her husband going back to her husband, the second is set at a New Years Eve party where the husband from part one attempting to find out where his wife's gone and the third is about the man the wife was cheating on her husband with following the trail to get to her. The humour in part two is (I think) influenced by "Shaun Of The Dead" and that was the only part that outstayed its welcome.

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on December 13, 2021, 10:31:33 AMSomeone on another forum recommended the telly show "yellowjackets" and the first episodes were really good fun, but the third was a bit of a stinker, so I held off recommending it, but the fourth one was back on track. It's pretty good fun. Is anyone else watching it?

This finished the other night. I enjoyed it, all told. Only thing is though, they're wanting to get 3 series out of it.
I didn't know that, thought it'd be a one and done sort of thing, so it ended on a cliffhanger, but it still felt satisfying, I'd be happy to leave it there, but I'll give the next one a go when it comes.
No regrets. It was pretty good fun!

Quote from: SteveDave on January 18, 2022, 08:18:22 AMThe humour in part two is (I think) influenced by "Shaun Of The Dead" and that was the only part that outstayed its welcome.

Oof, yeah, I think I'll give that one a miss!

Zetetic

Quote from: zomgmouse on December 21, 2021, 11:20:42 AMThe Feast. Welsh-language, centred on an odd replacement helper at a rich dinner party. It's all rather predictable (slow burn folk horror awakened spirits etc etc) but played with a delectable slyness that's hard not to get lured into.
/Gwledd.

There's about 10 lines that badly needed to be cut as grossly over-explanatory.

The use of English vocabulary was interesting (and fairly natural, I'd guess).

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on September 26, 2021, 09:34:07 PMNot a film but probably worth putting in here Brand New Cherry Flavour is worth checking out for horror fans.  It's great.

Finally got round to this and finished it tonight. It's brilliant :D
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I shouldn't have left it so long. The tone was spot on through the whole thing.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 19, 2022, 10:50:55 PMFinally got round to this and finished it tonight. It's brilliant :D
Thank you so much for the recommendation. I shouldn't have left it so long. The tone was spot on through the whole thing.
Yeah. Really enjoyed this series. I'm going to start Area 81(?) at the weekend. Hoping it's as good.

Yes, Archive 81, I saw Wentworth Smith start a thread about that in picture box - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=92254.0

I've got that downloaded and ready to go as well. Fingers crossed!

zomgmouse

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 20, 2022, 01:13:54 PMYes, Archive 81, I saw Wentworth Smith start a thread about that in picture box - https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=92254.0

I've got that downloaded and ready to go as well. Fingers crossed!

I think Benson & Moorhead directed a couple of episodes of this!

Oh, I don't really care for them. The films I've seen of there's left me pretty cold.
Resolution, and The Endless, I think are the ones I watched.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 20, 2022, 11:18:00 PMI think Benson & Moorhead directed a couple of episodes of this!
Awesome!
Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 21, 2022, 02:19:47 PMOh, I don't really care for them. The films I've seen of there's left me pretty cold.
Resolution, and The Endless, I think are the ones I watched.
I really liked them.
Spring, as well.

Yeah, I can't explain it. I kind of liked the journey, but was just left thinking "is that it?" and feeling a bit like I wasn't given enough to chew over at the end of both.
I'll give spring a go. I downloaded it but never got round to watching that one.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on January 21, 2022, 02:42:33 PMYeah, I can't explain it. I kind of liked the journey, but was just left thinking "is that it?" and feeling a bit like I wasn't given enough to chew over at the end of both.
I'll give spring a go. I downloaded it but never got round to watching that one.
Unfortunately, I think this is the weakest of them.....
I liked it, though.

Jerzy Bondov

Spring was my favourite, it's kind of meandering and not scary but still very good. I was telling my friend I didn't really like The Endless very much on Twitter and one of either Benson or Moorhead liked the tweet so I puked myself dead.

zomgmouse

I'm a big fan of theirs, The Endless is my favourite (possibly because of the foothold Resolution gave it) and I loved Spring as well. Really need to get to Synchronic and their Twilight Zone episode - and then there's their new one, Something in the Dirt, that's coming out this year at some point.

SteveDave

Quote from: zomgmouse on January 24, 2022, 10:49:57 PMI'm a big fan of theirs, The Endless is my favourite (possibly because of the foothold Resolution gave it) and I loved Spring as well. Really need to get to Synchronic and their Twilight Zone episode - and then there's their new one, Something in the Dirt, that's coming out this year at some point.

"Synchronic" didn't do a lot for me. The concept was a bit normal (take this drug and travel through time but stay in the same space) and the two leads were quite dull too- the Falcon and the Sexy Man. 

phantom_power

I didn't get on with Synchronic either. I loved The Endless and Spring but this just didn't click. The premise is interesting but the way it is executed, and the logic behind it, is pretty poor. It also has a slow, dull build-up and disappointing resolution. The relationship between the leads wasn't very good either.

Apart from that though

zomgmouse

That's a shame to hear... I'll still probably watch it though.

The biggest disappointment really is that they're directing a Marvel TV series.