Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 09:10:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Is there a thread for Greed?

Started by pancreas, February 20, 2020, 12:43:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Noodle Lizard

Yeah, it's fun at times, but pretty half-baked. Half the plot threads and characters are ultimately dropped, and a lot of Coogan's "bad bastard boss" dialogue felt like it was written by a sixth-former who's just discovered The Thick Of It. I get that it was going for an operatic (or Greek comedy, fucksake) style, but it could've been far more pointed had its characters not been so caricatured. Having Coogan be a subtler cunt would not only provide more light and shade, but would also be closer to his character's real-life counterparts.

I generally like Winterbottom and a lot of the cast, so it was perfectly entertaining for me, but the hardest my wife laughed was at the end when it started throwing facts about sweat shops at us (not because she thinks sweatshops are funny, mind you, but because of how unearned it felt).

chveik

the fact that Amanda (?) ends up working in a factory after being some sort of party organizer was really stupid.

also the surprise of Mitchell when he learns the wage of the Sri Lankan women.

it's fairly watchable but it's a waste of a good cast really.

pancreas

Gave up after 22 long tedious minutes.

kalowski

Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Sorry.

olliebean

Quote from: kalowski on September 26, 2020, 08:59:38 PM
Watched this last night and really enjoyed it. Sorry.

I'm never eating here again.

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: chveik on May 14, 2020, 05:33:58 PM
the fact that Amanda (?) ends up working in a factory after being some sort of party organizer was really stupid.

I thought that too, and couldn't work out why she'd ended up there,
Spoiler alert
especially as Mitchell was the only character who knew what she'd done
[close]
. The ending
Spoiler alert
with Coogan being mauled by a lion was all kinds of silly too, I see what they were trying to do but it was just ridiculously daft imho
[close]

I was confused by the casting of Shirley Henderson as his mother as well, given that she's a month younger than Coogan it was a very odd decision.

Quoteit's fairly watchable but it's a waste of a good cast really.

That's how I felt, I don't regret watching it, but I wish it had been far more vicious.

Icehaven

This has turned up on Netflix so I gave it a go last night, didn't think that much of it tbh. It's quite possible for a film to be both a satire and a daft comedy but this feels lost between the two, and this

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on October 04, 2020, 11:16:57 PMI was confused by the casting of Shirley Henderson as his mother as well, given that she's a month younger than Coogan it was a very odd decision.

was just bizarre, even more so when you think it's supposed to be Coogan's character's 60th birthday, which would mean she was meant to be at least in her mid-late 70s and she seems barely made up to look any older than she actually was (54). Was it some kind of cinematic in-joke because she played a schoolgirl in Harry Potter when she was 40?

olliebean

Did they leave the cartoon lion in, or have they chickened out and rendered it photo-realistically?