Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,338
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 01:55:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

BEERS #2 - Beyond the Pale

Started by Shoulders?-Stomach!, March 30, 2020, 03:56:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: shoulders on December 15, 2021, 08:51:23 PMLebkuchen... Interesting. There's no ginger in it and Zot Blond isn't a Gruit beer as far as I know. I wonder what's putting that across. Yeast perhaps?

Quite possibly. The affect was it feeling way more... alcoholic than it deserved being? Like a very ethanol quite chemical taste if that makes sense

Ferris

Quote from: Crenners on December 15, 2021, 08:42:50 PMWow, I always had so much respect and fondness for you, mate, but now no chance 😂😂😂

Framconio or ficken

😂😂😂👌👌

Crenners

I also GAF about Belgiums these days, majority are MTM (much 2 much) and gloopy af but the hard-core dense brau area still great. Barnardo Chrimbo are amazing. Rocky Road 10 u can't f wit. Most of the good ones tbf are good. Many blond are generic crap.

Fram 4 life or early death.

GoblinAhFuckScary

gimme a delirium any day COME AT ME BEER SNOBSSS

shoulders

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 15, 2021, 08:54:06 PMQuite possibly. The affect was it feeling way more... alcoholic than it deserved being? Like a very ethanol quite chemical taste if that makes sense

Phenolic? Like a fragrant/medicinal clove thing?

Not much detail on untapped other than it uses a mix of 4 different kinds of malt. Could be connected I guess.

GoblinAhFuckScary

Quote from: shoulders on December 15, 2021, 09:03:07 PMPhenolic? Like a fragrant/medicinal clove thing?

Yes I think that's a succinct way of putting it. Not so much as to make it totally unpalatable, but very noticeable

Ferris

Quote from: shoulders on December 15, 2021, 09:03:07 PMPhenolic? Like a fragrant/medicinal clove thing?

Not much detail on untapped other than it uses a mix of 4 different kinds of malt. Could be connected I guess.

Depends on the phenol type, but I find they all have that to my non-Belgian adapted palate.

shoulders

Mm, I note that one of Untappd's descriptors is "Belgiany", which is hardly very technical.

I've always been fond of beers that push bittersweetness, especially if they are quite spicy, occasionally herbaceous. If there are esters along with a kind of warming golden harvesty glow that's all good for me. Full on Tripel fan here.

There is some shit out there, including from brands which people think of as premium (eg. Kasteel have some really bad beers, along with some good ones) and I can definitely tell what people mean from those as the blend and the balance is all, as a sommelier would put it, outta whack me old paedo.

GoblinAhFuckScary

@shoulders, I fancy a good Tripel. May I ask for a recommendation please

shoulders

Quote from: GoblinAhFuckScary on December 15, 2021, 11:02:36 PM@shoulders, I fancy a good Tripel. May I ask for a recommendation please

Ter Dolen is a very high quality middle of the style Tripel.

Maitre Tripel by Meester is exceptionally good with a bitter start that mellows into a creamy delicious thing.

They can go from wheaty and yeasty like Tripel Kannunick to quite high bitterness like Chimay White.

There are also weirder outliers like St Feuillien Tripel which is very herby and not as indulgent.

A straight down the line, easy to find one is Tripel Karmeliet.

Crenners

I'd also recommend Gouden Carolus Tripel, one of my favourites full stop. It's easily available online, ticks a lot of the major Tripel notes, quite honeyed and floral and warmly citric, more orange than lemon, but also loads more going on. It's got a tangy, clovey wheat beer element and a drier, nuttier, banana bread finish. It's really a fantastic beer.

2021 was the year of the Framconyuns and people finally liking lager again, what do people think will be the trends of 2022? Both in the general beer world and also in this thread, which as everyone knows, is a big trendsetter in the scene.

Crenners

English ale. Shoulders already started to get the ball rolling last year but no takers, too ahead of the curve because it tastes like diluted decent beer. Next year, everyone will go ape for the subtleties and mild enjoyment of traditional English piss. Couple of years from now, will be the only stuff we can find because of Brexit and the Ebola-19 crossover.

shoulders

Belgums had dey time
Framconio having dey time

Who next got dey time

Amma say Zczcehchzczia

Crenners

Haha one of my favourites, been a long while.

Based on your reports, I think you could be right. I'm really keen to try but seems you gotta go to the source. Maybe next year they'll take off and I can get some top tier stuff online.

Ferris

It's stouts and brown ales for me Clive.

NattyDread 2

Anything 'must try' in this lot? The only bottle shop on the island has finally got some Belgian gear in. I can usually only get Leffe Brun or Blond so I'm keen to try some of these. Sorry about the formatting, the website is a bit of a pain. Any tips appreciated!

£3.80
Chimay White Cap Triple Ale Bottle

£2.90
Timmermans Kriek Bottle

£2.95
Timmermans Peche Bottle

£3.40
Chimay Red Cap Bottle

£4.35
Boon Oude Geuze Bottle

£2.80
Timmermans Strawberry Bottle

£2.65
Blanche de Bruxelles Bottle

£3.95
La Chouffe Blond Bottle

£5.95
Rochefort 10 Bottle

£3.40
Lindemans Framboise Bottle

£3.60
Kwak Bottle

£3.10
Orval Bottle

£4.00
St Bernardus Abt 12 Bottle

£2.50
St Bernardus Extra 4 Bottle

£3.85
Moinette Ambrée Bottle

£2.75
De Kazematten Wipers Times 14 Bottle

£2.75
Chimay Gold Goud Blond Bottle

£3.20
Lindemans Faro Lambic

£2.50
St Bernardus Pater 6 Bottle

£7.95
Brugse Zot Brune Bottle

£4.50
Chimay 150 Bottle

£7.95
Brasserie Dupont Saison Bottle

£3.70
Rodenbach Grand Cru Bottle

£3.00
Westmalle Extra Bottle

£2.60
Westmalle Dubbel Bottle

£4.50
Lindemans Cuvee Rene Bottle

£3.95
Karmeliet Tripel Bottle

£3.75
Delirium Nocturnum Bottle

£4.35
Timmermans Lambicus Blanche Bottle

£3.95
Bacchus Kriek Bottle

£2.95
Timmermans Framboise Bottle

£4.15
Bacchus Framboise Bottle

Johnny Foreigner

My personal choice from this plethora would be:

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on December 16, 2021, 05:51:46 PMTimmermans Kriek Bottle
Timmermans Peche Bottle
Boon Oude Geuze Bottle
Rochefort 10 Bottle
Kwak Bottle
Orval Bottle
Lindemans Faro Lambic
Brugse Zot Brune Bottle
Westmalle Dubbel Bottle
Karmeliet Tripel Bottle
Bacchus Kriek Bottle
Bacchus Framboise Bottle

I mostly drink the dark and the sweet; less keen on the bitter, but that is just my preference.

Crenners

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on December 16, 2021, 05:51:46 PMChimay White Cap Triple Ale - a lovely, high quality Tripel, a classic of the form.

Boon Oude Geuze - something very different, and a classic of the style, it tastes quite like vinegar to be blunt but very drinkable and enjoyable once you get past that and may become something you crave.

Rochefort 10 - one of the best Quadrupels in the world, a gorgeous beer to take an hour with, rich and deep and sweet and spicy and bitter and on and on.

St Bernardus Abt 12 - as above but I like this even more, incredible depth, unmissable.

Rodenbach Grand Cru - I probably prefer this to the Oude Geuze but again, it's intense in a way which may turn you right off. I'd try one, at least.

Westmalle Dubbel - classic little Dubbel, like a much softer version of the Quadrupel style, fruity and spicy and herbaceous, I would often choose a Dubbel over a Tripel or Quad because it's so drinkable but still full of flavour.

Karmeliet Tripel - as described above, lovely floral honey and citrus notes, a gorgeous, arguably unbeatable as the most appealing 'mainstream' classic Tripel, I don't think I would ever turn one down.

Enjoy!

Ferris

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on December 16, 2021, 05:51:46 PMAnything 'must try' in this lot? The only bottle shop on the island has finally got some Belgian gear in. I can usually only get Leffe Brun or Blond so I'm keen to try some of these. Sorry about the formatting, the website is a bit of a pain. Any tips appreciated!

£3.80

£4.35
Boon Oude Geuze Bottle

£3.60
Kwak Bottle

£3.10
Orval Bottle

£4.00

£3.70

£3.00
Westmalle Extra Bottle

My shouts from that list, with emphasis on the Rodenbach, the Orval, and the Westmalle.

Shoulders is your man for this stuff though.

shoulders

Quote from: NattyDread 2 on December 16, 2021, 05:51:46 PMAnything 'must try' in this lot? The only bottle shop on the island has finally got some Belgian gear in. I can usually only get Leffe Brun or Blond so I'm keen to try some of these. Sorry about the formatting, the website is a bit of a pain. Any tips appreciated!

Timmermans Kriek Bottle
Timmermans Peche Bottle
Chimay Red Cap Bottle
Boon Oude Geuze Bottle
Timmermans Strawberry Bottle
Blanche de Bruxelles Bottle
La Chouffe Blond Bottle
Rochefort 10 Bottle
Kwak Bottle
Orval Bottle
St Bernardus Extra 4 Bottle
Moinette Ambrée Bottle
De Kazematten Wipers Times 14 Bottle
Chimay Gold Goud Blond Bottle
Lindemans Faro Lambic
St Bernardus Pater 6 Bottle
Brugse Zot Brune Bottle
Chimay 150 Bottle
Brasserie Dupont Saison Bottle

Westmalle Extra Bottle
Westmalle Dubbel Bottle
Karmeliet Tripel Bottle

Delirium Nocturnum Bottle
Timmermans Lambicus Blanche Bottle
Bacchus Kriek Bottle
Bacchus Framboise Bottle

Those in bold are almost archetypal of their respective style so if you are looking to explore there are a huge range of flavours there and buying those will give you a good grounding in them.

NattyDread 2

Superb. Just the nods I need. I'll fill my boots! Thanks all.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: shoulders on December 15, 2021, 10:58:34 PMKasteel have some really bad beers, along with some good ones.

Used to get pleasantly stocious on Kasteelbier Donker, where the chief taste is alcohol. I never liked the other ones, but they did very funny mediæval commercials on regional TV, full of jesters and knights and lutenists.

Psybro

Just gone MAD FRIDAY down the Ranmoor Castle at random, any thoughts on these?

Meister Festbier
Köstritzer Schwarzbier
Kulmbacher Mönchshof Weihnachts Bier
Hacker Pschorr Superior Festbier
Krug-Bräu Breitenslauer Winterbier
Meckatzer Fest-Märzen
Schäffler Zwickl
Spaten Oktoberfestbier
Tucher Bajuvator Doppelbock
Weltenburger Kloster Winter-Traum

shoulders

The Krug Brau Winterbier is lovely. Like a Munich Dunkel with just the right amount of extra spice and heft without getting cloying.

Kostritzer Schwarzbier I have never been hugely fond off despite generally liking dark German beers.

Haven't tried the Weltenburger, but they don't really do bad beers, I'm sure it'll be tasty.

Nice haul.

shoulders

Anyone local to Huddersfield, Yorkshire, The Crate Escape has 750ml DeuS, still boxed but with September 2021 best before date forfor £8 a bottle.

Normally these are priced at £18-25 a bottle.

I reckon there's 20 bottles left.

shoulders

Was pleased to find row upon row of Franconia's finest at Raynville Superstore in Leeds. Lots of Bocks available currently and more from the Tier 3 boyz:

Reckendorfer, Goller, Unertl, Meister, Josef Greif, Klosterbrau, Weissenohe, Leikem, Jacob, Kaiserbrau, Keesman, Keiler, Krug Brau, Kuchlbauer, Winkler, Ott, Nankendorfer, Fassla, Scherdel, Schanzenbräu, Ganstaller, Rittmayer, Georgenbrau,

A good range from the bigger lads too, Schlenkerla, Andechs, Weltenburger, Monschof, Tucher

https://shop.raynvillesuperstore.co.uk/

Free UK delivery over £75

Ferris

Quote from: shoulders on December 19, 2021, 10:56:23 AMhttps://shop.raynvillesuperstore.co.uk/

Free UK delivery over £75

Some of those modern pale ales are selling for 5-6 quid+ per can? Is that normal?!

That's fucking criminal, I wouldn't pay $10 in a pub for a beer let alone take a chance on one that's being shipped to me.

They're not even mega S-tier 11% barrel aged... whatever. It's just "amarillo IPA, 7 quid for a 440ml can pls".