Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:53:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

FUCKDOWN, U.S.A.

Started by Abnormal Palm, April 19, 2020, 01:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mothman

The only downside I see is Drygate still being here posting his disingenuous antivaxxer cuntishness.

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteAmid a national debate over the use of pandemic relief funds, Alabama lawmakers swiftly approved a plan Friday to tap $400 million from the American Rescue Plan to help build two super-size prisons, brushing off criticism from congressional Democrats that the money was not intended for such projects...

Republican Sen. Greg Albritton said state officials are confident they can legally use the pandemic funds, and said the construction to replace many existing prisons will "go a long way" to addressthe state's long-standing problems in prisons.

"This was the right thing for Alabama to do. We've got crumbling infrastructure. We've got people housed in places that are filthy. We've got individuals ... working in conditions that are unsafe," Albritton said.

President Biden's sweeping $1.9-trillion COVID-19 rescue package was signed in March, providing a stream of funds to states and cities to recover from the pandemic. Alabama's plan prompted sharp criticism from some congressional Democrats who said prison construction was not the intent of the relief bill. Republicans said the rules give them discretion to spend the money on what they see as their greatest need.

The U.S. Department of Justice has sued Alabama over a prison system "riddled with prisoner-on-prisoner and guard-on-prisoner violence." The Justice Department noted in an earlier report that dilapidated facilities were a contributing factor to the unconstitutional conditions but noted "new facilities alone will not resolve" the matter because of problems in culture, management deficiencies, corruption, violence and other problems.

Democratic Sen. Billy Beasley, the only senator to vote against the use of rescue money, had opposed the bills and expressed concern that correctional facilities in his district could close under the plan, striking an economic blow to his rural district. He and several Democrats urged the state to quickly allocate the remaining $1.7 billion in American Rescue Plan funds to healthcare and other needs.

"The hospitals in Alabama have really been under tremendous pressure. ... We need to do more out of the rescue money to help the hospitals in the state of Alabama," Beasley said...

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-10-01/alabama-lawmakers-ok-plan-to-build-prisons-with-virus-cash

Mister Six

Why is Alabama full of such cunts? It's extraordinary.

DrGreggles

Quote from: mothman on October 02, 2021, 11:01:47 PM
The only downside I see is Drygate still being here posting his disingenuous antivaxxer cuntishness.

It's for times like this that the block list exists.

mothman

Never been a fan of blocking. For all I know they've blocked me!

Fambo Number Mive

Article on the sort of nonsense teachers in America have had to put up with:

QuoteOn Day One of class, the father of a little girl got so angry because she had to wear a face mask that he cussed out a principal and punched a teacher in the face.
By the second week, students in this small county in the Sierra Nevada foothills started testing positive for the coronavirus as the highly contagious Delta variant pummeled rural California.

Some teachers vowed to quit if vaccines become mandated. Families had pulled children out of sports to avoid weekly coronavirus testing. Outraged and crying parents had flooded school board meetings, disparaging masks as a "dirty piece of cloth" and a face-covering requirement as "a fear-based decision."

Welcome to your new job, Torie Gibson.

This summer, Gibson started as superintendent for the Amador County Unified School District. Just before school started, things looked bright: Coronavirus case numbers were down, California was reopening and masks were coming off. But she soon realized that as the Delta variant emerged, masks, testing and quarantines would once again be required. That meant trouble...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2021-10-05/covid-vaccine-mask-fury-shakes-up-california-schools

Ant Farm Keyboard

It's even worse in Idaho. It's a Republican State, with the Governor doing the bare necessities. Only 42% of the population are vaccinated. But there are a few clauses in its Constitution that allow the Lt. Governor, as the acting governor, to take decisions whenever the Governor is out of State.

Which was the case yesterday. She took an executive order to repeal all vaccine passports for schools and universities.

Quote"Today, as Acting Governor, I fixed Gov. Little's Executive Order on 'vaccine passports' to make sure that K-12 schools and universities cannot require vaccinations OR require mandatory testing. I will continue to fight for your individual Liberty!" tweeted McGeachin, who is elected separately from Little and is running to take her fellow Republican's job next year under the campaign slogan "Make Idaho free again."
(...)
In May, while Little was at a Republican conference in Tennessee, McGeachin issued an order banning mask mandates in schools and public buildings. Little had never prohibited mask mandates statewide, but he didn't stop counties, cities and schools from issuing their own directives.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/idaho-lt-governor-issues-vaccine-passport-order-while-governor-out-n1280909

As Little is back there, he will cancel the executive order.
And for the record, when both the Governor and the Lt. Governor leave Idaho, it's apparently the Senate President pro tem who takes over.

Mister Six

State senate, presumably?

Ant Farm Keyboard

Fambo Number Mive

According to the LA Time a small minority of chiropractors in America are involved in the anti vaccine movement:

Quote...They have touted their supplements as vaccine alternatives, written doctor's notes to get out of mandates, donated large sums of money to anti-vaccine organizations, and sold anti-vaccine ads on Facebook and Instagram. They have been the leading force behind anti-vaccine events like the one in Wisconsin, where hundreds of chiropractors shelled out $299 or more to attend and earn continuing education credits to maintain their licenses in at least 10 states.

Public health advocates are alarmed by the number of chiropractors who have hitched themselves to the anti-vaccine movement and used their sheen of medical expertise to undermine the response to a COVID-19 pandemic that has killed more than 700,000 Americans.

"People trust them. They trust their authority," said Erica DeWald of Vaccinate Your Family, who tracks figures in the anti-vaccine movement. "You go because your back hurts, and then suddenly you don't want to vaccinate your kids."

The purveyors of vaccine misinformation represent a small but vocal minority of the nation's 70,000 chiropractors, many of whom advocate for vaccines. But the pandemic gave a new platform to a faction of chiropractors who have been stirring up anti-vaccine misinformation long before COVID-19 arrived.

The first complaint the Federal Trade Commission filed under the COVID-19 Consumer Protection Act was against a Missouri chiropractor, alleging he falsely advertised that "vaccines do not stop the spread of the virus," but that supplements he sold for $24 per bottle plus $9.95 shipping did. He says he did not advertise his supplements that way and is fighting the allegations...

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2021-10-08/anti-vaccine-chiropractors-are-a-rising-force-of-misinformation

Meanwhile the number of reported coronavirus cases among students in Texas schools in the previous two months (185,024) has surpassed the total from the entire 2020-21 school year. Schools are not allowed to require masks and many schools districts do not have the option of remote learning.

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/09/17/texas-schools-covid-19-cases/

C_Larence

One million new cases . I'm on the east coast right now and nobody I know can get a test, so the real number has to be much much larger. We did it Joe!!!

Fambo Number Mive

Do people have to pay for LFTs and PCRs in the US? Or does it vary by state?

C_Larence

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on January 04, 2022, 12:50:10 PMDo people have to pay for LFTs and PCRs in the US? Or does it vary by state?

I can't speak for anywhere outside of the tri state area, but I'm pretty sure to get a home test you have to pay, but they're sold out everywhere anyway. You can get tested for free if you go to a testing site but it's possible you need medical insurance for that.

Noodle Lizard

In California, even the basic state coverage pays for "proper" tests (not at-home ones). The reason we're running low, I'd wager, is that everyone's testing all the time despite not having any symptoms or exposure. Some of our friends test at least a couple of times a week, even though they've already recovered from COVID within the past few months. At some jobs (like in my industry), you're required to test every two days, vaccinated or otherwise. Assuming they're not a total anomaly, that accounts for hundreds of millions of tests a week going to waste in this county alone.

I do wonder, sometimes, why there's very little emphasis on treatment should you test positive. Surely that'd be the most rational step to take now that we know the vaccines aren't doing much to stop symptomatic transmission and our hospitals are full, but I'm hearing nothing about it.

Fambo Number Mive

California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo has put students who have coronavirus in hotels off campus as the campus isolation beds already filled up during the first week of classes.

QuoteOff-campus isolation started Wednesday, said Matt Lazier, a university spokesman. There were 194 isolation beds as of Thursday: 62 beds on campus and 132 beds at hotels.

"The university engaged off-campus beds because it needed more than the 62 beds available on campus," Lazier said...

According to university data, 338 on-campus students have tested positive for the coronavirus since Dec. 30, with 74 new cases reported Wednesday...

Lazier said that as the campus prepared to begin its winter quarter, the number of on-campus isolation beds was lower than in the past because very low case rates in the fall allowed the university to revert some isolation beds to standard housing to meet growing demand from students.

Officials are offering $400 gift cards to the university store as incentives for students to move home for isolation if they can do so without using public transportation and if no one in their household is at high risk for serious illness or death, the spokesman said. The measure has been in place throughout the pandemic and was approved by San Luis Obispo County health authorities...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-06/cal-poly-san-luis-obispo-covid-isolation-at-off-campus-hotels

The university has a lot of students - over 22,000, but even so 74 cases in one day is a lot. And I suppose some of the students will be off-campus, not sure if they are included in the 74 figure.

Dex Sawash

Canada is going to stop letting american truck drivers w/o vax across border.

TOTAL TRUCKDOWN FUCKDOWN

Ferris

YESSS gonna be new year's fuckdown

Love it. Makes me feel alive.

Famous Mortimer

Our local healthcare chain has suspended all non-essential surgery because the hospitals are getting nice and full again with virus patients. Schools are closing, my (former) workplace is now working from home til the end of the month, but my friend who works in the local mall says it's about half and half of people wearing masks in there. It really does seem that some people are determined to die.

Fambo Number Mive

Millions of pounds of surplus PPE was left outside for months in California - they were removed from storage in the San Mateo County Event Center to make room for an event and were not put back - meaning they were damaged by storms.

Quote"While the storms damaged some outside packaging, most of the supplies are individually wrapped," he said. "The county is actively inspecting and cleaning the materials with plans to donate undamaged goods to a nonprofit."

...The story was first reported by KGO-TV Channel 7 after a reporter got a tip about the equipment left outside in the rain.

Upon visiting the event center, the reporter found thousands of boxes of equipment had been soaked, according to the station. Some had broken open and spilled their contents...

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2022-01-14/san-mateo-county-ppe-left-outside-and-damaged-by-storms

Fambo Number Mive

A really good idea by the Biden administration. Why can't the UK do the same?

QuoteIn the US, President Joe Biden's administration says it'll distribute around 400 million high-quality N95 face masks for free as part of its effort to tackle the pandemic.

A White House official described it as "the largest deployment of personal protective equipment in US history".

The masks will be available from next week at tens of thousands of distribution points nationwide, including pharmacies and community health centres.

Trump would just have given out tubs of horse pills. Meanwhile Johnson claims "people want covid out of their lives" as if we can strike a deal with covid.

Fambo Number Mive

A former public health minister has been rebuked by the Westminster lobbying watchdog:

QuoteA former Conservative health minister has been rebuked by the Westminster lobbying watchdog for setting up a meeting between a pharmaceutical company and the Covid-19 vaccines minister at the time.

Steve Brine, the MP for Winchester and former public health minister, who was paid £200 an hour as an "strategic adviser" to Sigma Pharmaceuticals arranged and sat in on a meeting between its executives and Nadhim Zahawi, who was in charge of the coronavirus vaccine rollout.

Two months after the meeting in February 2021 Sigma was awarded a £100,000 contract to deliver lateral flow tests to pharmacies.

Eric Pickles, who chairs the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (Acoba), said on Monday he was "growing increasingly concerned that not all former Ministers of the Crown are sufficiently clear on the various standards of behaviour, rules and legislation that are incumbent on them."

Pickles said there was "reasonable concern that [Brine's] direct involvement with the then minister for Covid vaccine deployment during the pandemic was only made available to Sigma as a direct result of Mr Brine's time as a minister at the Department of Health and Social Care"...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jan/24/some-ex-ministers-unclear-about-rules-on-outside-roles-watchdog-says

Ferris

What gets me about all this stuff is how cheap it is to subvert democracy.

They probably gave this guy 400 quid. You couldn't buy a PS5 for that, but you can get a cabinet minister. Mad.

Fambo Number Mive

Sorry, I should have posted that in the non USA fkdown thread.

mothman

shoulders

10 days away from 1 million US dead from Covid related illness.

Dex Sawash

I'm all right Jack (not you specifically)

Fambo Number Mive

QuoteCovid: Why US students are staging walkouts over masks

Will Wysoglad, a high school senior in Illinois, went viral after posting video diaries documenting how he was repeatedly sent home because he went to school mask-less. An Illinois judge had recently ruled schools couldn't require masks.

But while two-thirds of American schools have dropped mask requirements, there are students fighting to keep those requirements in place over public health concerns. That includes Leif Aucoin, a theatre major sophomore in Nevada.

We asked both students why they were protesting, and how mask requirement changes in schools were affecting them.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-us-canada-60745568

It's interesting Wysoglad says he has asthma so struggles to wear a mask - surely he would be regarded as mask exempt and not kicked out of school for that reason. The whole "we can't see anyone's smiles" is pathetic.

shoulders

Just looking at the state by state breakdown and Mississippi has a worse death per million count from Covid related illness to any other entity of 20 million population or higher except Peru.

Be interested to discover what caused that, beyond the presumptions I'm making in my head.

Mr_Rich

Quote from: shoulders on March 21, 2022, 08:42:16 AMJust looking at the state by state breakdown and Mississippi has a worse death per million count from Covid related illness to any other entity of 20 million population or higher except Peru.

Be interested to discover what caused that, beyond the presumptions I'm making in my head.

My other half is from Mississippi and had plenty of family there. It's basically what you're thinking attitude wise coupled with poor background health. Plot most anything over the US and Mississippi will be the worst reformer or there abouts.

Ferris

Quote from: Mr_Rich on March 28, 2022, 05:59:49 PMMy other half is from Mississippi and had plenty of family there. It's basically what you're thinking attitude wise coupled with poor background health. Plot most anything over the US and Mississippi will be the worst reformer or there abouts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thank_God_for_Mississippi