Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 02:42:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Upload (Greg Daniels Afterlife Show)

Started by Small Man Big Horse, May 02, 2020, 03:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveh

Was reported that because of the Covid restrictions they took as long to shoot the 7 episodes of season two as they did for the 10 of season one. I did wonder if they didn't manage to film all they really needed and couldn't quite fix up everything in the edit, hence some of the things that seemed a bit truncated and the variable pace. Enjoyed it despite that though.

olliebean

Quote from: Twilkes on April 06, 2022, 05:24:43 PMI only know Greg Daniels from Seinfeld

You've never seen the American version of The Office, or Parks & Recreation, or King of the Hill?

Twilkes

Quote from: olliebean on April 06, 2022, 10:29:40 PMYou've never seen the American version of The Office, or Parks & Recreation, or King of the Hill?

I've avoided the first, seen two episodes of the second, and didn't know he was involved in the third.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: olliebean on April 06, 2022, 10:29:40 PMYou've never seen the American version of The Office, or Parks & Recreation, or King of the Hill?
Seasons 5-7 of the Simpsons too.

cheesebot

Spoiler alert
YOU'RE A FUCKING TOILET!!
[close]

Mister Six

Quote from: Twilkes on April 06, 2022, 10:51:16 PMI've avoided the first, seen two episodes of the second, and didn't know he was involved in the third.

He co-created King of the Hill!

Twilkes

Quote from: Mister Six on April 09, 2022, 01:20:54 AMHe co-created King of the Hill!

Last time I watched it was probably when I was twenty in 1998. It wasn't a particularly big show in the UK, all we really knew was it was by the guy who did Beavis and Butthead and was a bit of a downer in comparison. :)

olliebean

Quote from: Twilkes on April 09, 2022, 06:48:30 AMit was by the guy who did Beavis and Butthead and was a bit of a downer in comparison. :)

Disagree.

Sonny_Jim

I watched the first season of this, it was alright.  I didn't like the 'yo dude bro' stuff and the love interest I found slightly too twee.  Is season 2 more of the same?

Mister Six

Quote from: Twilkes on April 09, 2022, 06:48:30 AMLast time I watched it was probably when I was twenty in 1998. It wasn't a particularly big show in the UK, all we really knew was it was by the guy who did Beavis and Butthead and was a bit of a downer in comparison. :)

It did well enough in the UK that it was shown for a few years, at least - I've been rewatching it, and I'm surprised by how many episodes I remember details of, decades later. You should definitely give it a crack again if you have the opportunity; it's very funny and warm.

Memorex MP3

didn't hate season one of this, was definitely down to watch season 2 but I think watching season one in a binge viewing at a part of the pandemic that I seem to have largely repressed has left me extremely uninterested in revisiting it. Feels more like a show I dreamt than a thing that was actually on television.

ajsmith2

I actively avoided the US Office for years and doing so was a huge mistake.

Zetetic

Found Series 2 of this upsettingly bad in many ways. Perhaps I was just more forgiving at the time I watched Series 1, but this felt a lot more all over the shop.

McFlymo

Just finished both seasons of this. Binged the feck out of them!

Episodes 6 and 7 of Season 2 were kind of odd to me.
Spoiler alert
In episode 6, they randomly follow the robot of some old man around NY to try and get answers and uncover what is going on. But like, why? There's even a bit where they make a crap excuse to follow him somewhere, then when they get there, Nora says something like, "And there he goes again" as the big SUV drives off. What was the point of them just aimlessly following this guy around? Also in this episode, Nathan and Luke have separate ear pieces (so Nathan and Nora can talk separately to Luke and Aeesha, but Nathan and Luke appear to be sharing the same big TV screen to see everything. They have individual iPad things, but they're seen often looking at a bigger screen on the wall.
[close]
And as someone else pointed out:
Spoiler alert
Episode 7 felt like the episode before the big finale. Those two episodes just seemed a bit muddled and rushed. Although, I Ingrid is a great "villain" and loved her being caught out for pretending to be dead
[close]

Really enjoyed this series overall though. Impressive writing! Love the little cutaways that undermine certain (sci-fi or tech) elements, (very Simpsons-esque) and genuinely did chuckle at some of it. Definitely would return for a season 3!

Sonny_Jim

Is it less 'tech bro' than the first season?  Been meaning to watch the new season by the tweeness of the female lead and bro-tactulness of the male put me off it.

steveh

Season 3 has been out for a few weeks after another long gap. Have to say I found it rather tedious, the story progressing even more slowly but without adding much depth to the characters or even laughs to mitigate that. It also feels a little dated now in the future it envisages.

Ant Farm Keyboard

The writers decided for some reason to focus on the conspiracies, which had never been the most interesting theme from the show. They basically want it to be a thriller in addition to a satire about technology and economic inequalities, a romcom, etc. And it misses the mark now on all issues. They try vainly to give Ingrid, Luke and Aleesha some side stories that go nowhere.
The show has become pointless.

Sonny_Jim

Sheesh, glad I gave it a swerve after the first season.  Shame as I really like the idea but I was expecting it to be a bit more 'San Junipero' and less 'Silicon Valley'

Famous Mortimer

I'm just at the end of season 2, so bear in mind these thoughts might be superceded by stuff that goes on in season 3. Also, totally agree with @McFlymo 's spoilered post from last year, the season finale felt odd.

I think the central relationship is fantastic - Robbie Amell and Andy Allo (who was in Prince's band, I just discover) have top-tier-of-all-time TV chemistry, I think. Well-written, well acted by both of them. I'm also a fan of almost all the supporting characters, and like what they've done with them, how they've developed, and so on.

Not my most impressive observation, but I called there being two Nathans at least briefly (no idea if real Nathan is going to explode or not yet). I hope they don't do the thing where real Nathan dies and she has to interact with digital Nathan who doesn't remember all the sweet sex they'd been having, but...it's a TV series, and TV series seem to hate writing happy couples as their central characters.

Re: them moving towards conspiracies, it was at least laid out very early on? I think there's a limit to how far they can go with a high-concept sitcom like this, and some sort of motivating plot is necessary. Maybe. I don't know.

Famous Mortimer

I just finished the third season, and...it felt like they really rushed to the conclusion, which was odd; maybe they weren't sure about getting renewed so decided to try and get people excited by having a movie's worth of plot in a little over 30 minutes. I really enjoy just watching the characters interact, but when you've established the stakes as high as they are, it's a bit difficult to have an episode about having a party, or who's dating who, or whatever.

I'm also not entirely sure where the show's going to go from this point.