Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 03:09:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

JK Rowling TERFing her legacy into the bin

Started by Dog Botherer, June 07, 2020, 01:00:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cold Meat Platter

Yeah not like there was a huge fucking stockpile of nukes that needed building the feckless cunts.

idunnosomename

somehow the minions lore that Illumination cobbled together so they could make a spin-off about their shitty meme characters from Despicable Me is better than J.K. Rowlings wizarding world.

Despicable Me is kinda sweet if it ended where it did. I quite enjoyed The Lorax the one time I saw it. genuinely hate everything else with a passion

Kankurette

jobotic

Maureen Lipman is on Stewart Lee's list and the Minions remain silent.

Minions knock over a statue.

Video Game Fan 2000

Edgy 80s metal bands would have to explain why they collect minion memorabilia. Lemmy in a bright yellow suit explaining that its the history and aesthetic he's into, he doesn't support what the minions did at all.

somersetchris

Quote from: Zetetic on January 07, 2022, 03:01:32 PMThe subversion of the Ministry, Hogwarrts and other institutions in the "wizarding world" aren't just a matter of throwaway references, it's a major part of the plot of the later books

That sounds about as fun as when George Lucas decided that what the kids really wanted Star Wars to be about was intergalactic trade embargos

Dex Sawash

Gonna watch this minions film now, sounds ok

jenna appleseed

wierdly fascist looking Minions are in the air force now, or possibly the UN, shilling for Sweet frenchbread.

jenna appleseed

Quote from: idunnosomename on January 07, 2022, 03:25:15 PMit's like in Minions where there's the cutsey backstory that they're always the minions of the most EVIL being in the world, a T-Rex, draculea, Napoleon, but then they have to go to sleep 1900-60 because otherwise it's impossible not to draw the conclusion that they'd be running extermination camps for the führer of Nazi Germany.

Was it here that originally codified the whole idea that it's cannon that if the minions were real hadn't gone to sleep til the 60s they would've ended up working for Hitler and because they're rubbish at actually being/helping evil would've ended up accidentally defeating him/the Nazis and stopped everything terrible from happening?.

(this thread has now gone massively off topic and I'm all for it)

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: jenna appleseed on January 08, 2022, 06:51:25 PMWas it here that originally codified the whole idea that it's cannon that if the minions were real hadn't gone to sleep til the 60s they would've ended up working for Hitler and because they're rubbish at actually being/helping evil would've ended up accidentally defeating him/the Nazis and stopped everything terrible from happening?.

(this thread has now gone massively off topic and I'm all for it)

All it takes for evil to triumph is for minions to do nothing

king_tubby

Glebe

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: Glebe on January 09, 2022, 02:56:56 AMtrans dwarves.

Some 6'4 lad with no beard at all Dolezal-ing himself into a sweet mining job?

Episode guest written by Adolph Reed.

jamiefairlie

Well seeing that Arwen didn't consider Gimli as a potential partner, the fucking Derf!

Mister Six

Quote from: Glebe on January 09, 2022, 02:56:56 AMFirst look at Amazon's LOtR reveals controversial trans dwarves.

It's been done.

Blue Jam

Gurke and Hare

Here's an actual, legitimate scandal relating to the safety of women in prison.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/jan/11/uk-inmate-gave-birth-to-stillborn-in-prison-toilets-inquiry-finds

None of these terf fuckers have uttered a word about it.

Dr Rock

wrec

Some fool in the Spectator has tried to give her her own Staniland Question

QuoteRowling's Razor
Which of these is more likely?

1. A person who is otherwise socially liberal and tolerant has taken a position on sex and gender that is driven by prejudice and hatred.

2. That person has some concerns about how changes in sex and gender law could have consequences for women and girls.

Spot the massive logical fallacy doing enough heavy lifting to make Atlas himself emit a heartfelt "ooooff".

Kankurette

JKR is not socially liberal. It's all surface.

wrec

That argument sums up the whole terf problem really - they're secure in their own "goodness" so can't be bigoted, and no self-examination is required. Chimes with the pervasive treatment of good and evil in Rowling's books, as pointed out in that Shaun video: there are no good or bad actions, just good or bad people.

Speaking of that video, I didn't know about all the slavery stuff (including the defence of it on her website) til I watched that. That alone should have her treated as a racist crank whose opinion isn't taken seriously.

idunnosomename

Quote from: wrec on March 14, 2022, 11:13:58 PMSome fool in the Spectator has tried to give her her own Staniland Question

Spot the massive logical fallacy doing enough heavy lifting to make Atlas himself emit a heartfelt "ooooff".

lmao this think-tank dork.

where do they come from?

wrec

A younger Paul Morley looking at the back of a spoon

Captain Z

Has she said something in particular to spark this bump? I've been having a relatively offline day.

Kankurette

She's gone full banana. Saying Labour are going to ban the word 'woman', palling around with a homophobic forced birther Catholic journalist (Caroline Farrow), ganging up on Laurie Penny with Julie Bindel, saying loads of lesbians agree with her about trans people, the works!

She is to transphobia what Matt Le Tissier is to whackaloon COVID denial bullshit. Except in her case it's always been there.

Dr Rock

QuoteRowling's Razor
Which of these is more likely?

1. A person who is otherwise socially liberal and tolerant has taken a position on sex and gender that is driven by prejudice and hatred.

2. That person has some concerns about how changes in sex and gender law could have consequences for women and girls.

You could ask the same thing about all them lefty Guardian writers/feminists from Germaine Greer to Hadley Freeman who are 'socialy liberal' but are also nutty terfs.

jobotic

Not sure socially liberal or tolerant are usually positives for the Spectator.